“Excellent experience and food”
Review of Opal Thai - MOVED

Opal Thai
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Full service BYOB
“Excellent experience and food”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

As in other reviews, it's as much about the experience as the food. Opal asks you about recent Thai food experiences and what you like. He then chooses for you. Duck curry was amazing and something we would have never tried. The experience is definitely as good as the food. Opal's son is delightful as well.

Visited September 2013

• Korean first
new york
“One of the best restaurants I have ever been to.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The restaurant itself is a soulless shoe-box. The closest toilets are outside and round the corner. The only sign as far as I could see is a canvas one tied to the railings outside. You have to buy your booze from the drugstore across the way. BUT! The proprietor and his wife are incredibly passionate about their food, they put a lot of work into figuring out what they can prepare for you so that you will have the best meal possible, and are very meticulous about what goes out of their kitchen. For my money, leaps and bounds ahead of every Thai restaurant that I have been to in NYC, London, and in fact pretty much everywhere I have ever been.

• Visited October 2013
Santa Clara, California
“Interesting experience”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Ok.... so this is a sweet and sour review.

We called and made a booking for 8pm and still waited an HOUR and A HALF!

I generally trust the opinions on trip advisor and this didn't fail. It's a great experience and it's very nice of the owner Opal to come around and ask for the Thai dishes and find out information on us. He was genuinely interested and had wonderful customer service. He gives you the food that he thinks you will like. Tread with caution here:

1. I was/am on a diet and the food he gave me didn't work with this.
2. My boyfriend is a vegetarian and one of the dishes had meat in it (crab I think) and he passed it off as vegetarian but then the other waiter said it had meat in it.

So go here for the experience but be quite clear if you have dietary requirements.

The food that we did have was excellent even though it wasn't working with our needs.

• Visited September 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Another Try - Terrible”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Don't even try to order what you want. The owner pushes those things of which they are trying to dispose. Food fit for the garbage can. We live close by, and we have discouraged many from going there.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Hawaii-Biker
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't read any reviews of this place before coming. We came on a referral from a friend. We called in for a reservation and sat right down. We thought we would live on the edge and told opal to order us something and surprise is. He asked a few questions and a few minutes later the food started showing up. It was exceptional and the price was right. The only warning is be careful on the drinks. There are no free refills on the soda.