“Must Do on Oahu”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Full service BYOB
Reviewed September 17, 2012

If your are anywhere on Oahu and like Thai food, Opal's is worth the drive! Best Thai food we have ever eaten. Opal makes it an experience. Be prepared to tell him what flavors you like. (He will ask.) Next thing you know, delicious culinary creations are before you personailzed to your taste. Located up on the North Shore in Haleiwa. It was a little difficult to find because we were looking for a converted food truck. Opal's is now located in a little strip mall next to Long's Drug Store. There is a Thai restaurant facing the street a little further down. Be careful not to confuse them. You would not want to miss Opal's!!. Note: cash only at the time we were there

2  Thank TXtravelbug05

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We ate here 3 times in 3 days last week. Never had Thai food this fresh or with such deep flavor. Like all other reviews of this place Opal chatted with us first and then said "ok I'm going to cook something for you now". I would have never ordered the dishes he brought out so I'm glad we went with his recommendations. Crab fried rice, drunken noodles, papaya salad, crispy tofu, green bean and eggplant, pad Thai, red curry chicken, and ginger crust cheesecake were all amazing. We brought our 2 yr old the 2nd time we ate there and "Uncle Opal" made him child friendly Thai noodles, brought it out as the 1st dish so he didn't have to wait, and fed him his 1st few bites. Our son loved it and he is not usually a big stir fry eater. When he got restless at the end of our meal Opal brought him a little toy to keep him occupied. When we got to Honolulu to fly home we ate at a Waikiki touristy restaurant and everything tasted so bland and pre frozen compared to Opal. My only suggestion for improvement is the staff Opal employs come across as a bit indifferent and have a "too cool for school" air about them. But really, who cares if they pout and zombie around as they fill your water glass when the owner of the restaurant is clearly passionate about what he does and the food is possibly the best in Oahu!

3  Thank raeleen-and-nick
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The owner of the cottage we rented suggested that we go to Opal and we are glad we did. This was and is by far, the best restaurant in Haleiwa. It is very small and chances are you will have to wait for a table (its worth the wait). The owner comes to your table and asks what you normally eat at a Thai restaurant and will ask you about your likes/dislikes. He disappears then the dishes start arriving... Outstanding! Every dish was perfection. My only complaint is that we didn't get back before we left! Do not miss this gem...Opal!

1  Thank konaflies
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This place was highly recommended by the owner of the house we were staying in. Decided to try it out after a morning of paddle boarding. We were greeted by the owner as we walked in, four adults, two kids, five of us vegetarians. The owner asked us a few questions and asked if he could prepare us a feast. We put ourselves into his hands and boy were we glad we did. The food was delicious. The special was a mushroom and radish cake and it was something I had never had... so good. Green papaya salad was one of the best I have ever had, and I think my sister almost licked her plate. Noodle dishes, and curry and so much else followed. An all around great meal and wonderful experience. If you go, put yourself into this wonderful chef's hands and let him make you something special.

2  Thank Tobeyg
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have to agree with all of the other reviews; this really is the best Thai food I have ever had. My wife is very picky and not usually a fan of Thai food, but Opal was able to quiz her about her tastes and come up with a dish that she really liked! I loved both of the dishes we got and only wish our vacation was longer so we could eat here more. Also I wish I had taken a picture of the new sit-down restaurant; it's small (about 10 tables), but definitely NOT the old food truck shown in the tripadvisor photos, so don't let the pictures scare you away!

1  Thank Mach22