“Awesome!”

Surf Hawaii Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Let surfing enhance your life! Surf Hawaii - Surf School is one of the most respected surfing school in Hawaii and on the North Shore of Oahu. The owner Edison de Paula is the head coach, with more then 25 years of experience. We teach surfing lessons, stand up paddle lessons and we run our Surf Camps designed to enable surfers of all ages and skill levels to live the dream of riding waves on the beautiful beaches of Hawaii. Surfing with Edison and his team of professional instructors is an exhilarating, healthy and natural experience available on the North Shore of Oahu. See what a difference professional surf instruction and the latest technology can make. Edison's surf school, a qualified professional surf coach that will make your dreams of surfing a reality! They are carefully selected, experienced instructors and experts in surfing. Our surf instructors are Lifeguards, CPR and First Aid certified.
“Awesome!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a great week along with friends at surf Hawaii!

Edison and Bruno are great instructors with an extensive surfing background. My surfing improved dramatically over the course of the week. Not only do they teach you to surf but teach you how to read the sets of waves and stress safety!

If the surf was bad on the north shore, they have no problems driving for good surf without cutting into the time allotted for the surf lesson.

The house in the surf camp was clean and comfortable. I slept well every night! Edison picked mangos and bananas for us to eat from the property. The mangos were amazing. There were also avocado and limes on the property that you could help yourself to.

After an initial stand up paddle lesson, you could help yourself to the boards.

Edison puts on an amazing BBQ on jennis lanai with tons of sirloin, salad and vegetables.

I could keep going, but in closing, Edison and Jenni are great people who enjoy making sure you will have a great week.

I will be back!

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I took advantage of the Surf Hawaii's surf camp package this May and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Bruno and Edison are awesome and patient instructors and coaches and I really had a great time out on the water improving my surfing skills.

The house where the surf camp guests stay is probably one of the most beautiful and serene places I've been to in Hawaii. It is situated next to beautiful, calm river and from the porch you can watch the outrigger canoes, SUPs and the occasional turtle slide by. Or you can pick a mango, avocado or a lime from the trees in the garden. The two hosts Jennifer and Edison are super-nice and I felt very welcome. I definitely will come back for more.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank martian178
New Milford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Considering the life of a surfing beach bum!”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

On May 25, 2012, three of us took surfing lessons with Bruno. We went out to Lanikai Beach for our lesson. Bruno was a great teacher and really was able to take 3 people who never surfed out to the ocean and got us riding the waves! A fair word of warning - the paddling out to the surf is killer! Bruno was awesome! He told me to relax and paddled me out to the surf! It was a great experience and now we can all check "Surfing in Hawaii" off our bucket list!!! Thanks again for a wonderful experience! Money well spent!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank LindaPinda1021
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Edison and Brink are amazing, fun and great teachers.”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Absolutely the best experience on the island thus far. Edison and Bruno were excellent and for 5 people that have never ever surfed each of us were able to get up on the board. It was awesome. If you are looking to do this for the first time then look no further. These guys make it fun and enjoyable.

Bend, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not a good teacher”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband and I took a two hour stand up paddle "lesson" with Edison and it was terrible. Admittedly I am a teacher and I teach physical skills and have a pretty high standard but this guy really doesn't do any teaching. He sent us down the river on the boards while he supposedly put on sunscreen--I suspect he was returning phone calls... so for the first half hour of our lesson when he could have shown us the basics and actually taught us we were on our own. I had trouble figuring out how to steer and there was no help from Edison. While there is no doubt he knows how to stand up paddle he really doesn't understand how to tell someone how to do it.
We then went out to the waves and all he did was fuss at me for not staying where I was supposed to be and of course since I really didn't understand how to steer or control my board I couldn't really do what I was told. I caught a wave and ended up on some dangerous rocks. While we were out there paying Edison to help us he was visiting with his pals and doing just about anything but teaching. I watched some of the other teachers with their students out there and we were not getting a lesson we were being baby sat.
A few days later we rented boards again and I figured out exactly what I didn't know and it wasn't anything hard AND it certainly was something that a teacher could have shown me... I could do a much better job now of teaching a newbie how to steer their board than the instruction I received. I have never before reviewed on Trip Advisor but I feel so strongly that this man should not be teaching. He might be a much better surf instructor but as a stand up paddle teacher he is terrible.

Visited December 2011
12 Thank Camelidynamics

Been to Surf Hawaii Surf School? Share your experiences!