“Good for basic shrimp”

macky's kahuku sweet shrimp truck
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I just had the Original (steamed shrimp) here, instead of the better known garlic shrimp. The shrimp was properly cooked; not tough (as I found at some other local shrimp trucks) from overcooking, and it came with rice and a decent cocktail sauce for dipping. Popular with Japanese tourist bus trips so can be crowded, but I had very fast service. Tables with umbrella shades and one large covered area.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My family (husband and teenager) and I decided to taste 5 shrimp trucks on the North Shore of Oahu in one day. At each truck we got the same thing - garlic & butter shrimp and shared one plate. Macky's is good - it came in 2nd place. The shrimp here was the best tasting by far, but their garlic sauce wasn't as good as two of the other trucks (not garlicky enough for me). If you care more about the shrimp flavor/quality or are ordering something besides the garlic sauce, this might rank #1 for you. My husband actually ranked it number one - but he is not writing this review.....

1  Thank yogachick23
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Yeah, so it's the first shrimp truck you encounter on the way into the North Shore from Honolulu, so you are probably expecting the best. Unfortunately, it's just good. Regular. I had the garlic shrimp which was just ok. Some garlic flavor, cooked well, decent side of rice. Nothing special for $13.00.

Keep moving and check out the killer selection of poke at the market.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I often see on TV different food trucks being featured but this one wasn't featured on TV but the review on Yelp was good so I tried it out.

1. The shrimp is good. I got garlic butter!
2. Seats are outdoor, theres sink to wash hands
3. Surprisingly there's a lot of japanese tourists (considering that the place is really far from Waikiki)
4. Fast service

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was my second visit (a year later) and the chickens are still roaming and the place is still busy!

Same as last time, tasty shrimp! Once again I got the spicy with extra sauce for the rice. I only waited 6 minutes this time even though a tourist bus had come through.

As I did last time, I purchased drinks at the 7-11 next door (bottled water for 58 cents!). Definitely a regular stop at least once whenever I visit the islands.

1  Thank Chris W