“An Older, "Portly" Student's Perspective...”

North Shore Surf Girls - Surf School
$146.55*
Oahu Private Surfing Lesson
Ranked #1 of 54 Tours in Haleiwa
More attraction details
Owner description: The North Shore Surf Girls Surf School is an all female owned and operated company. Our lessons are catered to men, women and children. Our all female instructors are former professional surfers, trained lifeguards and detail oriented when teaching you to surf. We offer group, semi private and private surfing lessons and stand up paddle board lessons daily at 9:00AM, 12:00PM and 3:00PM.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“An Older, "Portly" Student's Perspective...”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is our first trip to Hawaii and we're from Nova Scotia, Canada, hardly a surfing Mecca. My wife and I are on the sunny side of 50 and while she's petite and fit, I'm... well, in all candor, not. Sure, I'm in shape, after all round IS a shape, okay? We decided that as surfing is so identified with Hawaii that we should give it a try and opted for North Shore Surf Girls for lessons. My wife was initially apprehensive, however our instructors Carol and Erin put her at ease and she not only felt safe the entire time, she stood up and surfed on her first try! Both ladies were exceptionally charming and had the rare ability to connect with people and impart their knowledge and love of surfing to their students. Carol exhibited great patience and understanding with the greatest challenge a surfing instructor might face... a hefty old guy. My daughters took video and it looks like a supertanker somehow wandered into a random group of surfers. While I may not have stood up (I had no idea that the increased centrifugal force from being so close to the equator actually made me *heavier* and thus sabotaged my efforts to stand up... that's my story and I'm sticking to it, okay?), it was only the final act of "pop up and pivot" that I failed to achieve. My youngest daughter commented that I was surfing in the "Downward Dog" yoga position. Who knew? Carol did get me body boarding and I was WAY happy with that and while I couldn't make the final transition of the five steps, the rush of adrenaline from pushing ahead of the wave and barreling in towards shore... I can see why surfing in any form would be highly addictive. Were I younger and weighed in closer to the ideal for my 5'9" frame rather than that of someone 8'3", I'd be moving to the North Shore and doing this all the time.

In all seriousness, it was a very positive experience and one of the high points of our trip to Oahu. I highly recommend Carol and the ladies at North Shore Surf Girls for a safe, educational and just as important, a FUN adventure for anyone who might like to give surfing a try.

Mahalo nui loa to Carol and the wonderful wahine from North Shore Surf Girls!

3 Thank Markzilla

Great Falls, Virginia, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Family surfing with North Shore Surf Girls”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We highly recommend North Shore Surf Girls. Carol, Rosie and Erin were so patient and wonderful with the kids. Our kids are 5 and 8 and had a great time. It was our goal to feel somewhat confident surfing so we wanted to go out as many days as possible. We surfed 3 out of 4 days we were in the North Shore. We were pleasantly tired but the kids were not destroyed so we could go out again the next day. We will try some surfing on our own, but we can't wait to go back to Hawaii and surf with the NSSG again really soon!

1 Thank Philip H
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I stepped on a sea urchin, but still got good waves!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have been meaning to write this review for awhile. I had tried surfing for awhile by myself with not-so-good results. My timing on standing was really off. So, I decided to do a lesson. What a difference! Vai is a great instructor! She was out in the water the entire time I was in the ocean and was often coaching me when to stand and what to do. It is a beautiful feeling riding waves. I am hooked. The day ended with me stepping on a sea urchin. Ouch! Bad luck, but I am glad for Vai to help me pick out the prickly things. A little Hawaii vinegar and some treatment and fully recovered back home in Texas now. A wonderful experience :)

Visited February 2012
1 Thank T B
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best Part Of Trip”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

When people ask what the best part of our trip was, we immediately say surfing. And a huge part of that was due to Carol and her assistant Erin at NSSG.

I researched this a TON and finally decided on NSSG. I could not have been happier with my decision.

They pick the surf spot based on conditions, and will not put you in danger. We got an email telling us exactly where to go the night before. Our particular class took place at Chun's Reef, a quite and gorgeous beach.

We went through our land lesson and then to the water. I had my doubts about being successful but on the first try, both my husband and I were standing on our boards. It was incredible and so much fun!

Carol and Erin work their butts off between keeping the group (there was three of us in the group but also the two from the lesson before decided to rent boards from NSSG and surf some more and they continued to help them too) in the right area, pushing us into the right waves, holding conversation and instruction all at once. We wanted to continue but were exhausted after an hour and a half.

We were surprised but also so happy to learn that there was someone also taking photos for us we were able to purchase right after. Totally optional and no pressure but it was cool cuz I specifically had said to my husband I was bummed I couldnt get photos of the most amazing part of our trip/one of the coolest things in my life I have done.

They were also very knowledgable about the North Shore in general as well as Hawaii and anything else we seemed to talk about. It was such an enjoyable experience. We wanted to return but it was impossible after truly considering changing our flight to Maui the next day.

If you want to not only surf in Hawaii, but have an amazing experience all around, getting away from the Waikiki crowds and see another side of the island plus really impress people by saying you surfed the North Shore, this is the company to do it with.

1 Thank nybuckeye22
Seattle, Washington
“Great opportunity for even the most timid...”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was nervous about taking a surf lesson, but agreed at the insistence of my boyfriend. Carol made me feel very comfortable and accommodated all skill levels. We both ended up being able to get up a couple of times and it was one of the best activities we did while on the island.

Visited August 2012