“Nice location...but ick!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village

Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
“Nice location...but ick!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2005

Yes, the location is good, near the beach, and Haleiwa is a nice respite from the carnival of Waikiki. But these "suites" were dirty and kind of dank. The mattress was horrible, the smell musty, it looked as if it had been decorated by furniture that the Salvation Army rejected, and there were a few dead bugs in the room. I've stayed in hostels, etc, so I'm not exactly prissy, I just expect, you know, basic hygeine, especially for 140 a night.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

I had already booked for a week when I saw the reviews, oh dear but fore armed is fore warned so I was expecting a dirty rotten place; well I have to admit it wasn't the cleanest but the owner gets backpackers to clean for their board so it depends on how diligent the backpacker who is cleaning is - luckily our cleaner wasn't too bad.
I have stayed in Waikiki before - a long walk from the beach (which is crowded with chalky coloured water), crowded with tourists and heaps of shops and the North Shore is so peaceful with crystal clear water - I loved it. We stayed in the beach house in a self contained studio apartment and I would stay there again - to stay in a waterfront in Waikiki would cost heaps. I loved the laid back feel and that the roads weren't curbed or guttered.

• Stayed June 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Karikewt
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

i have traveled through all the islands and i have to tell you that has to be the most dirty, rat-infested place i have ever been to if it "was local flavor" that would be an insult to me and my wife that is local. the staff at the desk were rude to me and my wife, i asked to change rooms after we discovered a dead rat under the couch the smell was so bad we moved down the keiki beach rentals a block away from shark cove that i recomend

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Haleiwa hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

Dear Travelers, BE AWARE !!!
I paid $75 a night which was way to much for how dirty it was... The location was great...right on Three Tables Beach...but not worth what I paid.
The kitchen, bathroom, and floors looked like they'd never been cleaned. Lots of cockroaches and lizards, but I expect that in a tropical environment.
I would never recommend this place to anyone. It seems like everyone who stayed had a similar experience.
There were advertisements in the area for ~$60 a night from the locals owning a house. Seems like a better deal to me. I booked it for 5 nights but left the next morning.
My advice? Find a clean, reputable place to stay. Pass this one up!
First, as everybody else, we chose to stay in this hoStel because we wanted to escape the crowds of Waikiki, but would have been much better off to just drive up for the day(s) we wanted to spend up there. The beds were horribly uncomfortable (a thin, HARD, mattress with no boxsprings on a wooden slat frame), and the room wasn't very clean--toothpaste platters on the COMMON bathroom mirror, an inch of dust on the fan blades, and a dirty floor. Everything in the room was dinged-up and very worn. They even had the audacity to have a bowl with a "Tips for cleaners" note in it!!
Also, the beach view isn't impressive, and the noise from the never-ending (even at night!) traffic on the highway was usually louder than the noise of the waves.
This is the most disgusting hole I have ever come across. We booked the ocean front cabin #1. The filth was shocking. Black mold growing extensively up the walls of the tub. The tub was supposed to be white but I don't know if it was ever cleaned. The scum, dirt, slime was so thick. The toilet had a rust ring around it and felt when I sat on it (!) and the sink hadn't been cleaned either. There was a clean sheet on the bed. No mattress pad no mattress cover nothing to keep you form everyone who slept before you on this well used mattress covered by a thin sheet. There were rodent sized dustballs everywhere. The kitchenette: everything was sticky and the fridge still had dried food spills and smelled horrible.
The kicker was...there are warnings to lock your room everywhere and the doorwall screen to the balcony wasn't even attached so it fell right off. You could not secure your room without suffocating in it. Suffocating in stench and germs, not a good place to stay. I guess the owner expects you to accept thir poor excuse (NO REFUNDS) for an accommodation. Their "no refund policy" not only covers no shows but also insure a new policy of "so what" if it is not clean. This place is disgusting. Oh, and the location... It is ocean front but your view is blocked by vegetation and to get to the beach you have to leave the building, walk out to the street and around to get to a small rocky cove. The SHARK COVE...
I would not even put my bare feet on the floor without shoes on. The beds were a single absolutely filthy mattress on some board slats. The ceiling fan sounded worse than a crop-duster plane. It was too warm to not have it on. I'm not sure the sheets were clean. We shook all of our clothes out before we left so as to not take any cockroaches with us -- yes there were
plenty of cockroaches (see picture). Wild cats too... The bathroom/vanity was so gross.
There were no "welcome/aloha" signs, but plenty of signs stating to lock your valuables, keep your door locked at all times, not responsible for stolen items, etc., etc. Read this post carefully. It is horrible. No exaggeration.
We spoke (seeking advise for next housing) with the local police (3 officers) and locals and they told us to just leave. Many thiefs and mostly transient people. We left the next morning after finding a new place and I am quite lucky as I complained right away when I got there and I only paid for the first night as I was already not sure to stay. Check out time is 10am by the way. This is a rip off. Remember: No refunds... You may still want to see the place when you drive by (the only road, so no detours) by do not stay too long...
See the attached PICTURES for your own judgment (I cannot put them all).
There are nice hotels in HNL and Waikiki...
Best of luck. I wanted to share my experience for you not to make the same mistake...
M.

• Stayed August 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

I stayed in a Beach House suite for two days. I paid $125 a night which was way to much for how dirty it was. The location was great...right on Three Tables Beach...but not worth what I paid. The kitchen, bathroom, and floors looked like they'd never been cleaned. Lots of roaches and lizards, but I expect that in a tropical environment. I would never recommend this place to anyone. It seems like everyone who stayed in the beach house had a similar experience. There were advertisements in the area for a one room beachouse renting for $50 a night. Seems like a better deal to me.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2005

Before we left the mainland, I called Hawaii to make reservations at the Backpackers' Hostel for the week of July 2nd – 9th for my teenage son and me. I read some bad reviews about this place, but I thought I’d take a chance to see a little local color & save a buck as well. From some of the other reviews I read, it sounded like it could be a rowdy week, so I asked if it was an appropriate place for my 13-year-old. The guy on the phone said, “He should be OK”.
We arrived @ 5:00 on the 2nd, & were told that my son had to be 18 in order to stay there. I told him that I specifically asked about the age of my son before-hand & asked to talk to the guy who made the reservation, and then to the owner. Both times I was denied! I asked if they had another accommodation. They were asking 3 times the price for a private cabin, so I asked if they could compromise since it was their mistake in the first place. The guy said that he had to leave it open in case someone wanted to rent it for the full price! I asked if I could use the phone to call around to find other accommodations, but he had to keep the phone lines free for customers! I ended up spending until 11:00 trying to find a room on Saturday night of 4th of July weekend on Waikiki! My lodging cost me hundreds of dollars extra for last minute arrangements.
My advice? Find a clean, reputable place to stay. Pass this one up!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2005

Well you only have to look at the website to see what its like.

Its cheap and good value, $25 a night 7th night free.

I stayed here at the end of a 12 month around the world trip and loved it!

Keep in mind I am 23 years of age, a surfer with limited funds!!!
Would i come here with children? nup
would i come here for a romantic time with partner? nup
would i come here to meet young fellow travellers, all on a budget, who are easy going happy people who think its amazing to be in the north shore?
Its a great place for young people on a budget.
I thought it was clean, but very old and run down but it added to its charm

I woke up every morning with gecko's?? walking around the room...i was scared of them but thought it was amazing!!!!

The bathroom is bad...i have to agree to that, but i guess travelling the world has mellowed me out a bit as it didnt bother me at all.

Stay here if you are young, looking to surf, or enjoy a true beach hawaii experience. Its quiet, visually beautiful area, cheap restaurants and lets you really experience Hawaii.

If you have never stayed in a hostel, backpackers before....DONT STAY HERE, IT IS NOT A BUDGET ACCOMMODATION, it is backpacker class and i just loved it!

Surfs Up!
xx

• Stayed September 2002
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank EJH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Waikiki
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,546 reviews
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach

Been to Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village? Share your experiences!