Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
Rotorua
“Keep away”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Dirty, smelly and run down, no air conditioning and expensive for its condition. We had booked a studio unit so I would hate to think what the backpackers is like. We refused to stay there and asked for a refund. Luckily found a much nicer place just down the road. The guy at the desk didn't really care if we stayed or not. They advertise wifi but you have to go down the road to another building to access it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank forestRotorua

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in Cabin 4, Bedroom B. I was not told when I first booked that there were two bedrooms in this cabin, nor given a choice of bedrooms. I think since I booked first I should have been asked which bedroom I wanted. "A" has windows facing two directions, neither of which is the setting sun and B has no windows, but opens to a lanai (just a wooden porch with no furniture) and gets the setting sun and the room each night when you unlock the bedroom door felt like it was over 85 degrees.

To get a bit of a breeze, you had to open the sliding glass door, which opens to the lanai that connected to another cabin and anyone could just walk in during the night. The curtain in the cabin was so thin you could see thru it and it did not completely cover the sliding glass doors (i.e. if you changed clothes only the bathroom was private). We slept with the sliders open and a knife under my bf's pillow, so I didnt feel unsafe, but not having a door you could close to the outside unless you wanted to sleep in a sweat box, was less than I expected.

In all fairness some people loved this place who were there, but they didnt have a bedroom that was as hot to sleep in as the one I had. Its a place to go party for the surfing crowd. I was here on a weekend, and it was a lot of fun outside on the picnic tables sitting around drinking if you like to party and socialize. Just thought I should have been given a choice of bedrooms. Foodland walking distance, and there was a soda machine that got a lot of use.

Not a bad place, but seemed like they just dont care to me. Im sure this place is jammin' during surfing season, no other places to stay in this area. If you just want a bed to sleep in and to hang out, this is the place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CruisinFreek

Travelers are raving about these Haleiwa hotels

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I think it's always funny when people staying in a hostel complain about the conditions. It's cheap for a reason people! My boyfriend and I had a great time here, yeah there were bugs, good luck getting away from them in Hawaii, and yeah things were a bit old but the people working there and staying there were great and made the stay amazing. If you are looking for an affordable place to stay on the north shore of Oahu and don't plan on staying in your room all day give this place a try.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rhiannon B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2013

As it was difficult to find online accomodation in the North Shore area for less than 3 nights, we booked Plantation Village cabin 3 for 2 nights....what a BIG mistake. It rated as 2 star accom so we thought it might be simple but were horrified to see how dilapidated, old, broken and pest riddled it was ( doesn't help when most of fly screens are either damaged, irreparably broken or plain non existent.) It was as clean as it could be under the circumstances. I was fearful of bedbugs or headlice from pillows. Towels were virtually threadbare, no soap or bathmat provided. The position of the 'village' is amazing...just steps away from fantastic snorkelling beach and amazing sunsets over the ocean. Our room was right beside the Kam hwy so even with earplugs it was hard to stay asleep. We don't understand why with a little effort and a few thousand dollars they could be ok. Probably because they are making such a killing with the nightly rates they just don't care! If guests refuse to stay there and enough honest reviews happen maybe they will improve them. We felt BADLY ripped off by this place but unfortunately had no other options available once we had arrived in a fully booked Waimea Bay Area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leesa F
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was not what I was expecting. The room had no AC, but was huge. The sliding glass door to the balcony barely worked, but the screen was busted, so we couldn't leave it open anyway. The bed was uncomfortable, the place seemed dirty (dusty). I guess I should have lowered my expectations with the work Backpackers in the title, but for the price, I was expecting a bit more. The location was great, very close to the three tables beach with off shore diving/snorkeling. Parking was a bit difficult as they really pack them in there if the place is full. It was our only option, so we were thankful that we had something on the north shore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great experience staying in one of the many cabins. Right on the beach at the top of Oahu, very social area, met loads of great people and had a wicked time!

Not as clean as it could have been but what you expect for the rates.

Would definitely stay there again and recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lovetolife298
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We spent two nights there, we booked through hostelworld for 3 beds in the same dorm cabin, but they split us in 2 cabins instead.
There is no safe in the cabins but there is a safe at the reception that is available for your valuables.
Location is good, on the north shore very close to shark's cove and a few amazing beaches.
Cabins were DIRTY. There were cockroaches in the dishes and all over the beds at night. The windows were always open, there are holes in the walls and floor. There were geckos inside as well as outside on the walls.
No fan in the room, it gets very hot during the day but it's OK at night.
Not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carole-Anne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
#1 of 1 in Kahuku
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach

Been to Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village? Share your experiences!