“Discovering the North Shore !!!”

Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a really good time in our little Bungallow n°1, 59-788 Kamehameha Highway.
It's 45 minutes drive from the airport, it's on the sea (the beach is just accross the road), very well located (nice beaches next door : Sunset Beach for surf and Waimea Beach for a very sportive swim, Waimea falls, turtle bay 15 min drive and foodland to organize your dinner).
We met very nice people from Germany and Australia who where sharing the house with us.
You can borrow masks and flippers for a 20 dollars deposit, rent a bike 5dolalr/day, rent a surf 10 dollars for 6 hours, 20 dollars for 24 hours, landlords are very nice.
The cleaning is very average but honestly, sheets barely hold the bed but sincerely the place is so niceeee that you forget very fast about it. Young couple with no kids, brother and sister, best friends, I would really recommend this place !!!

Room Tip: Bangullow n°1, 4 rooms to share (2 X 4) with a nice group of friends !!! :-)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sophiecharlotte1987

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I'm usually not writing reviews even though I travel a lot but the management of this place and other travelers should be made aware.
We arrived and had to take 1 of the studios. After 30 minutes in the room, we had seen 4 cockroaches the side of a thumb and killed 2. As someone else noted the bedsheets barely covered the mattresses. Very uneasy night after that. We then moved for 3 days in a private room with shared bathroom in the brown house. Same bedsheet issue. This time we discovered big bed bugs in a leftover tissue and at the bottom of the bed.
Then there was nothing to hang our coats, bags or towels.
Last point: the car-park is full of holes and bumps, to the point of being dangerous for cars that are not 4WD.
It is very well located, conveniently priced and some of the buildings have a lot of charm. But something must be done against the bugs!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

we stayed at the backpackers for a week. we absoultly loved the entire north shore. we stayed in the tree house called the brown house. its amazing, each floor has three bedrooms, a shared bathroom and kitchen. the atmoshpere is amazing, the rooms are tidy and craig the manager is so lovely and helpful. you can rent a bike for $5 a day and travel up and down to jump rock, sunset beach, pipeline and if you cant be bothered riding home you can catch the bus and put ur bikes on it. The cheapest way to get there is a bus which leaves from ala moana take about 2 n a half hours but only cost $2.50 and its a nice ride up. i would stay back here in a second. deffinatly my favourite place we stayed in all of hawaii

Room Tip: brown house, you get your own private room for about $71 together
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank louise b
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

This place is unique. If you are looking for a hotel and need those kind of amenities don't come here. If you are traveling on a budget and willing to try something new this is the spot. Amazing location and does not have the LA feel that the rest of Oahu has. There is also history here with the connection to Mark Foo. I ve stayed there twice and if I make my way back to Oahu I will stay there again. If I had kids I wouldn't come here but if your a young person this is definitely a good place to stay. If you go in the summer there is great snorkeling across the street and if you go in the winter its the classic surf location. So just go try it.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank MDEEZY
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

I love this place!!! Been there twice and still couldn't get enough. A peaceful place to make friends, rest and surf. The hostel has such a beautiful front yard! They rent bikes for only $5 bucks a day and snorkel equipment for free!

I totally recommend!

2  Thank Maiandre L
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I planned a 2 day roundtrip from our apartment in Waikiki. This was a great idea, the rest of the island is so much more beautiful and more the Hawaii I was dreaming of.

We looked for hotels round the north shore. These are not too many. And they are not too cheap either. The alternative like the Turtle Bay more north is very very pricey. And thats just because of the location So in that respect we thought we would go for something cheaper, as we stayed here only one night. For 1 night it's fine. But there is no airco and the seaview room we stayed in was very old and had a lot of old dirt.

The location is great, we enjoyed sunset right outside the hotel. And there's a grocery story close by. Not that I would cook here.

All in all, the price is not exactly low, but compared to your alternatives this is a good choice I think when you just travel around.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jan R
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised when we checked in to our studio apartment in the Beach Building. Fantastic water views, self contained, and good location right on the beach.

Was a great place to stay, except for the beds which were horrific. My hips are still bruised they were that hard - we resorted to sleeping on our beach floaties. Other than that, the rooms were very basic and value for money (being right on the beach and all).

Recommend for anyone looking for a great hawaiian getaway - might want to take an air bed though.

Room Tip: Try and get apartment F - has the best views!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank droods
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haleiwa
Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore
Kalani Hawaii Private Lodging
#1 of 1 in Sunset Beach
Bento House Extended Stay Lodging
Paradise Bay Resort Hawaii

Been to Backpackers Vacation Inn and Plantation Village? Share your experiences!