“Stay away!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Wailuku, Hawaii
“Stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I went to Oahu on an overnight getaway, and had planned on eating somewhere special. This was a horrible choice. We had eaten at another Makino Chaya location in college, and thought this would be similar, but we were wrong. I can say with all honesty that the only thing that was good, were crab legs. Thats it. Everything else was cheap poorly made. The "service" if you can call it that, was terrible. Presentation, scary. By the end of the night, we both agreed that a trip to Arby's across the street, would have been better. You have been warned... Stay away!

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Waisaipapa

kapolei
“"Manager paints a picture"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Terrible service, no class and the Manager paints a picture of poor service all around. I announce that we had a reservation. No greetings or communication from the host, turn to the manager who was on the register the whole hour an a half said do I open the top area.............. she walked away behind the scenes towards the kitchen, came back took us to the table, called out my name, no direction what to do after so I asked can we eat?

I headed for the sushi bar, messy and not filled, serving tongs were on other trays of sushi. Then I stood in the steak line and boy that set the whole atmosphere, the manager yelled at the host repeating over I told you so .......... I was shocked by his unprofessional behavior and didn't even care about the customers. I started to notice why the staff acts unsociable and unhappy working there. No respect from the manager, just do as I said feeling I got. The whole time he stayed at the cashier, taking phone reservations & payments. Should a Manager be on the floor assisting staff and recognizing where help is needed, encouraging and making sure the food is presentable and services are friendly...................

I started the buffet line, had a hard time taking out the napkins, it was stuck. My husband grab a plate with food on top of it. Moved towards the line. The server bought a tray of crab shell to find that the crab shell on line was 1/2 full, so she removed the kozo and place it with the 1/2 full crab shell on line. Continue down the line to find an Aku head that was so scary, I couldn't figure out why it was there, no one was eating it, it felt like a piece of extra food was cooked and throw on the line to fill the buffet line. As I continue I notice the server standing and waiting by the food window waiting for refills, while the food line was messy and food spills on the tray line. We waited for tempura shrimp and it was dump from a bowl onto the tray very unprofessional instead of placing it by a serving tray. Notice the chef coming out and refilling food with no aloha, with a black shirt that doesn't look like a chef. The server who was filling food wasn't anywhere close to being friendly. Someone asked a question and she replied I don't know I go ask, went to the window, couldn't get a quick answer and the customer left. Server wasn't to friendly and no one smiles, just pure focus on what needs to be done and lingering. Notice they were only three waitress/waiter, to do drinks, assist customer, create bill and clean off tables, and two dessert person. The place was crowded. I stood in the dessert line to get a crepe, server asked what do you want, and then asked if I wanted anything else, I didn't notice the other desserts in the cooler so I had to stand back in line to refill my plate. It would have help to know there is more desserts.

What happen to the service? When Makino was at Aloha tower it was the greatest experience, the service was friendly and professional from the time you step up to the reception table to you leave. What happen, you had Sushi maker dress as a chef, clean, & professional looking making the sushi right above the serving area, the steak were sliced in long pieces, I had to go back three times to be satisfy because the pieces were cut up into bits of pieces for a child or a senior citizen, server looked like he didn't speak English, very unfriendly and quiet.

I will not go back there, thank God it was inexpensive.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank debbiedudoit
Aiea, Hawaii, United States
“Great lunch buffet at only $10.99”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Awesome. Just $10.99 all you can eat buffet. The food was incredible and lots of it. Definitly coming back. Recommend to family and friends.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank John B
Hollywood, Florida, United States
“OMG Run away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I hate to say this but this was one of the worst places I have ever been to. The buffet looked fine but Looks can be deceiving. They had halved lobsters out and they were extremely chewy and tasted like garbage. Soggy tempura shrimp. Tempura vegetable that were awful. Crab legs that were way overcooked. We special ordered the butterfish and that was good. While at the table, we were entertained by a rodent running back and forth in the kitchen entrance. Yuck! A walk around the food service bars showed that the floor had not been cleaned. Like, ever! Old crusted on food and debris all hidden behind the vinyl that shrouded the bars. The carpet...oh.... I felt so dirty when I left the place, yet so happy to be outside! Never, ever again. Sorry.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Allan S
hi
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Food was wonderful and service impeccable. This restaurant employs persons with disabilities and I spoke with someone who told me that the managers have been extremely accommodating to him with regards to his functional limitations due to his impairment. I must applaud employers with such compassion.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Makino Chaya? Share your experiences!