“NO CLASS ... NO COMMON SENSE ... IGNORANT ...”
Review of Makino Chaya

Makino Chaya
Ranked #94 of 167 Restaurants in Aiea
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went to a family gathering & when we finally got our seating, the Manager said very loud " Why didn't you tell us that you have an handicap ? "

To everyone who has family who served in Iraq, how would you react ?

The perosn who hired this manager should be ashamed not the customer that is walking in with a cane.

2  Thank WadaBozu

Reviewed January 23, 2013

One year and a couple of visits later, I'm afraid I need to take my rating down a notch to 3 of 5. I still like the selection and flavor of the food, and especially the various sauces for dressing, dipping, etc. Service was friendly and prompt. It's a very good value, especially when using coupons found online or in the newspaper. But management clearly no longer cares about the ambiance or it wouldn't overlook about everything it possibly could in that area. Grubby-looking napkin dispensers, etc.

The worst is the six-foot-wide opening to the kitchen everyone has to walk past en route to the buffet. It's not a pretty food prep area but far more offensive is the foul smell emanating from the garbage cans placed near the opening. Why on earth wouldn't they put up a curtain and keep the garbage away from the dining area?

Because it would cost so little to fix all of those problems, you have no choice but to conclude that those in charge just don't care about whether customers have an enjoyable dining environment. I will still eat there with those who appreciate the food and are willing to overlook the accumulating problems. But this used to be one of my favorite places to take visitors and introduce them to Japanese cuisine. I just don't see that happening any more.

1  Thank HungryHikerBoulder
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food value is very good here. Lunch is reasonably priced and it gets better. You can use coupons for seniors and get 30% off. If you have the iDcard you can also get 30% off, but you have to buy a drink.

Depending on your selections, the food is pretty good. I liked the grilled beef and shrimp tempura.

I give them kudos for trying hard. In time, i hope they refurbish the place. They also have a very good value in take out bentos. They do tend to run out.

I would go back again.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We go to Makino Chaya, Aiea, Hawaii, when we have a craving for all you can eat Japanese food.
This time around, something was missing. The food tasted really bland. The only items that had some taste was the Nishime and Wagyu beef. The Maine lobster had no taste, except for the green entrails, which tasted funky.
One thing I notice that each time we leave the restaurant , the bottom of my sneakers are always oily and sticky. I guess the oil and grease must get into the carpet and is spread around by the staff and patrons.
in the past, I enjoyed the extensive Bento lunches, either the Butterfish or Salmon and crab salad.
Its ashame that the food quality is declining. Even the desserts look fantastic, but one taste and you'll find it is dry and bland. I opted for the plain vanilla ice cream this time around.
The restrauant hours changed too, only open from 6:30 pm to 8;30 pm, I think Monday to Thursday, and maybe open earlier and close about 9:00 pm on weekends. Again, very disappointed after all these years.

1  Thank Queensbeach_Honolulu
Reviewed September 11, 2012

At one time Makino Chaya was known for a quality buffet, not any more, was invited to eat here with business friends, and when they told me Makino Chaya I sighed...service is POOR, quality of food is poor, not sure what happened from the old days. Save your money, for me Makino Chaya is a dive.

3  Thank F5993GMericd

Been to Makino Chaya? Share your experiences!