“Return Visit”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This wasn't our first time eating here and we really looked forward to our return visit! The place has so much atmosphere and the BBQ is delish! Be sure to try the brisket!!!! Would definitely return again!!!

There are newer reviews for Dixie Grill

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our server brought popcorn to the table as we perused the menu.
The menu had many options with chicken, fish and shrimp for non-red meat eaters. I enjoyed a mahi-mahi sandwich and the cole slaw had a bit of a kick to it. My spouse enjoyed his burger with onion rings atop. The fries were nothing special. They had fried green tomatoes as a special and they were delicious. The batter was very light. Barbeque sauce choices are served with the entrée.They had home smoked meats on the menu.
The decor is amusing and the ladies rest room art is a hoot. There is an outdoor sink which is very useful. We enjoyed our visit and will return with our barbeque loving family. Vegetarians beware the limited menu options. Dixie Grille is very close to the Arizona Memorial.

1  Thank rf06903
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Menu selection was southern style home cooking. I ordered the grilled cheese and meatloaf sandwhich and would order it again. I went with a group of four and everyone liked what they ordered. Dixie Grill is known for the Screaming Mai Tai. We have family that lives close and this in one of their favorites. The service was slow.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

1.5 of the 2 points are for the Screaming Mai Tai, a 34oz drink that helps you get through the fact that you're eating in a hole in a wall. With that said, the decor is definitely shabby (not chic). Even if you choose to sit inside you may as well be prepared on sweating since the entire front of the restaurant is open to the elements, and leads to the balcony seating. The service is hit or miss, not rude but not friendly either. The first visit, I ordered the shrimp and grits, but was told that the dish was not available so I chose the southern fried catfish dinner which came under seasoned and served with a side of Cajun rice which had no flavor and was too dry to eat. My daughter had the mac and cheese and the dish came out with unmelted shredded cheese (seriously). The second visit (I had no say...) I chose the frickles (fried pickles) and honey BBQ wings. This was the safest choice! And clearly something that the kitchen can actually prepare well. The frickles were some of the best that I've ever tasted although the dipping sauce was supposed to be a horseradish, but instead was a spicy mustard. My husband and in laws had ribs and crab legs and seemed very unenthused with the preparation of the ribs and variety of sauces offered. But hey my 8 yr old had the grilled chicken and mashed potatoes and cleaned her plate which is a big deal for her! So with the recommendation of going for the Screaming Mai Tai and the wings, go just for the experience of a little dixie on the island of Oahu.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were planning to tour the Pearl Harbor Memorial and stopped here on a whim (and based on recent reviews). Overall, the food is very good and the service is excellent -- prompt, friendly, but not too intrusive. The food is very good quality and nice portions for the price. We'd definitely visit again - especially considering the price and type of food (how many reasonably inexpensive BBQ restaurants are there in/near Honolulu?!).

Tip: If you are a planning an afternoon in the Pearly Harbor area, stop by here for lunch -- it's a quick u-turn and a few lights to the memorial. Ask for a table inside, but near the outside -- you'll end up with the benefits of a nice breeze without the direct sun.

Been to Dixie Grill? Share your experiences!