“Tasty but would like to find better”
Review of Champa Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Champa Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Tasty food. Service was okay. Would like to find a place with typical spread and sauces for a Thai restaurant.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had friends from thailand visiting and we took them to out favorite Thai restaurant. When I asked my quest how authentic the food was he told me 70%! lol, when we want good Thai food and reseonable prices we com here. Try it you will like it.

2  Thank F5993GMericd
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Best Thai food!! I forget between visits, and am always pleasantly surprised. Sent FB post to friends; generated a whole conversation stream about how so many of them love this place!

We had steamed spring rolls and fried calamari, the yellow curry and a chicken on cabbage dish - all were divine!

It looks like this is one of at least 3 Champa Thais on the island. I was unaware of the other two until finding them in Trip Advisor. This one is out by Pearl City near the Arizona. It's a bit of a treck, but worth the trip. We'll try the once closer to town now that we know it's there!

1  Thank Daryl K
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My party of four visited this restaurant on a Saturday evening. It was about 40% filled. Appetizers included tofu satae (still the best I've had, anywhere), deep-fried calamari (excellent) and spring rolls (very good). Entree's included PadThai with shrimp (very good), chili-fried rice with chicken (very good) and two orders of Penang Curry with chicken (very tastey, but no longer my favorite). I don't have anything to rave about concerning this place, except that the tofu satae is great compared to all of the other Thai versions I've had. The service is good but not outstanding. The atmosphere is better than the other near-by Thai restaurant (Siam Kitchen Express) where I usually get my take-out, but not as good as Siam Garden (on Nimitiz Hwy). Service is not that much better or worse than the other Thai places. This used to be my go-to place because of the food. However, I've found that the Penang Curry (my go-to dish) is better at both of the other Thai places mentioned. I've been eating at Champa Thai off and on for at least 10 years. I feel that that the overall quality/quantity of food and service has diminished a little since my wife and I first started going there. I wanted to give 3 1/2 stars. Three stars isn't fair because it's still a good restaurant and I'll still go back (it's close to my home). Four stars is maybe a little generous because of the perceived decline and having found alternatives I like better for my favorite dish. All-in-all, the family enjoyed it. We took home leftovers. And, the bill with tip was about $80 (no drinks, only extra was sticky rice 2X). So, I'm comfortable with the "very good" overall rating.

1  Thank Shaka_Frank
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Everyone local who likes Thai food, myself included, has a favorite Thai restaurant here on Oahu. People swear by 'em. I've tried quite a few over the years and one of the good ones is Champa Thai. I haven't typically reviewed local restaurants, mostly 'cause it never really dawned on me until recently that out-of-towners might appreciate some local guidance--I'm always in a rush to write about some neat place I found far from here...duh! In any case, I've tried two of the three (Aiea and Kailua) in the local Champa Thai "chain" and they were both excellent values for consistently great tasting Thai cuisine. (I've admittedly probably moved into the 'regular' category at the Aiea restaurant.) Now, having been to Thailand a fair number of times and eaten in everything (AND everything including bugs and other weirdness) from ridiculously expensive crazy upscale places in Bangkok to hole-in-the-wall eateries and street carts from Lop Buri to Khorat to places I can neither spell nor pronounce, I can say that here on Oahu, Champa Thai, in my opinion, is truly faithful to the tastes from the Land of Smiles. What's more, they've got a good selection (all the standards), some killer Panang Curry, and a superbly delicious Green Papaya Salad. I've tried a number of items from the menu--all pass muster. Even my Significant Other who does not like "spicy food" has found a few favorite dishes that she craves a couple of times a month. Moreover, they'll ask you first how far you wanna go in terms of 'heat', so if you've ever foolishly wound up way over your head in satanically hot Thai chilis (I have sadly), they'll take that into account and not look askance at you if you ask for 'mild'. So no fear those of you (probably prudent) people who embrace bland food for some likely well-founded reason. They got something for you too! I have my favorites of course (a couple mentioned above), but I'd recommend giving most anything on the menu a whirl if you're so inclined. On top of all that--very, very reasonable, especially if you're on a tourist budget. Very easy to get two of us stuffed to the gills, with drinks, decent tip, and leftovers for take home, all for well under $40. So, when you're lost in Aiea (eye-ay-ah) trying to find the North Shore, the Kam Swap Meet, Aloha Stadium, or the Pearl Harbor Memorial--or your GPS actually works--stop in--it's worth it. Aloha!

1  Thank Fritz59