“Hated it SO much!”
Review of Aiea Loop Trail

Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Aiea
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I didn't feel comfortable leaving my moped here. However, I went ahead and went on the walk. It was not an easy trail and I can't believe people were taking their children or dogs on there. The walking space wasn't wide at all, people could fall off the side. Plus, the scenery was horrible. Why walk miles to see one scenic outlook that is the same as what I seen from the road driving there?
Plus, toward the end I started panicking because I thought I was lost and my cell phones didn't get any service there.

There are newer reviews for Aiea Loop Trail

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I do a lot of walking and light hiking and all the reviews from the Oahu hiking internet sites inferred that this would be an easy level walk. It wasn't difficult but would be challenging to anyone who isn't in shape, has young children or isn't wearing shoes with good traction. There were lots of slippery spots two days after rain and some muddy areas on the final ascent to the end at the camping area. If you go, and it has been wet in the days prior, take some shoes to change into and bags for the muddy hiking shoes! Don't wear slippers (flip flops)!!
There were areas with views over the valleys, areas that went through ginger, bamboo and lots of areas with roots. Lots of fairly easy ups and downs but watch your footing!
You can park just inside the main gates and hike up the road to the head of the trail (about 500 m) or drive to the middle or top parking lots.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The trail can be muddy after a rain. So be aware. Otherwise, it's a fun hike, mostly in the shade. Just bring water and snacks if you like. Rewarding views towards the end of the trail.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The 4.5 mile loop has it all: fragrant ginger patches, heart pumping climbs, nice strolling parts, massive trees, and interesting finds at every turn. Oh and some mud :)

1  Thank mamajoejoe
Reviewed February 15, 2013

After reading all the reviews I didn't know what to expect. My Husband & I are in our early 60s and walk every day. The 4.8 mile trail told us 2 hours to complete. I wouldn't do this hike if you don't walk on a regular basis. The condition were perfect our day of the hike-the trail was dry until we reached the last quarter of a mile. MUD and slippery condition. I don't see this part of the trail ever being dry. Just take your time up the hill. After you finish the loop you have another 1/4 mile hike up the road to your car if you parked in the lot where the loop begins. The beauty of the trail is well worth it. Easy to find just follow Aiea Heights Drive to the top. There is a park there just follow the road to the one way loop. There is a parking lot where the trail ends first and the upper parking lot where it begins. Great view of the harbor and stadium on the way down.