“Loved the peace and aloha of Molokai and this condo!”
Review of Ke Nani Kai

Ke Nani Kai
Erin, Canada
“Loved the peace and aloha of Molokai and this condo!”
Reviewed July 12, 2006

We just returned from our dream Hawaii vacation and Molokai was the high point for my husband and I. We rented unit #212 as well, directly from the owner, " My Molokai" , and it did not disappoint. It was immaculate, airy, bright and high end in every way. The owner Diane, has it furnished beautifully and very well equipped. No standard white sheets here! Everything matched -- the duvets, sheets and towels. I noticed that some of the sheets were even Egyptian cotton. The queen bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. She has a wonderful selection of DVDs (recent movies), CDs and books to fill the quiet hours. With the condo being so close to the tennis courts, she leaves rackets and balls readily available in the front closet (not to mention beach chairs and a small cooler).

The condo was a 2 bedroom unit but can actually sleep 6-8 people. There is an inflatable queen bed made available in the loft and the livingroom has a futon that can also be used. Lots of towels and bedding provided. The stackable washer and dryer came in handy on our stay. The resort itself was perfect for me, my husband, and 14 yr old daughter. We tend to cringe in commercial settings. We were looking just to " be" and experience Hawaii. Breath it in. The sweet scent of plumeria hung in the air and the beautiful wrap around lanai provided perfect ocean views. Some would find this too quiet. There is an amazingly scenic golf course on the premises and the pool was a good size. It was just being renovated on our last day there. There were no signs to the private, dreamy beach - but that was OK. You are left to discover ... and we did! Just walk past the golf course and the beach is stretched out before you.

We were concerned that there wasn't any air conditioning (before we booked) but we needn't have worried. The constant fesh breezes from the omnipresent trade winds keeps things cool and is your lullaby in the evening. Buy your food at the Friendly Mart in town before you go to the condo. There are not many places to dine out -- so if that is high on your list -- reconsider. The Lodge was a fine dining experience in a relaxed setting. HIghly recommend it! We took our daughter to the Cookhouse for some local flavour and in spite of her initial reluctance, she loved it. We were serenaded by a local musician playing soulfully on his ukelele. Everyone is relaxed and easy going. If you are uptight and unable to relax, go with the flow and try something new -- this isn't for you! For us - it was a dream and we plan to return. Take at least three days and explore the whole island. It won't disappoint.

• Stayed July 2006
20 Thank Lynda B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Goleta, California
Reviewed March 31, 2005

We stayed for a week at the Ke Nani Kai "Resort" in June 2004 for our anniversary, a condo complex on the westside of the island with a pool, spa, and some barbecue facilities on a nicely landscaped, generally well-maintained property. We have been to most of the other Hawaiian islands over the past few years and decided on a week's sabbatical on laid back Moloka'i. We booked a one-bedroom condo at Ke Nani Kai which was represented as a moderate accomodation. I would have described it as economy, at least from the unit we stayed in. This condo complex had year-round units, vacation homes, timeshares, and holiday/hotel-type rentals. We had one of the latter. It was generally clean but in need of some TLC. The draperies across the sliders opening onto the lanai were shredded, there was no maid service even though it was represented as having such, the wallboard around the bathroom "window" (a screened opening with wooden louvers, of which there was one in each room with a collection of dead dry leaves, etc. between screen and louvers) was crumbling on to the floor from apparent moisture, the furniture was tired and in need of replacement, there was no mattress pad on the bed - I had to request one and then wait for the day the maid was there to finally get one (what the maid did on her day there at Ke Nani Kai I don't know; all she did was hand me the mattress pad and leave), I had to sweep off the lanai before using it, and the refrigerator had rust spots all over the outside. Now if I were visiting some relatives vacation home I wouln't have had a problem with all of these insufficiencies but I paid for a rental condo with the expectation that certain services and amenities would be provided and were not. However, on the positive side the complex was generally pleasant, there were not very many people there so it was very quiet and peaceful, we loved the seclusion, and there were no cockroaches. Moloka'i is not for everyone. No night life, no fast food, no cell phone service if you have T-Mobile. Groceries are outrageously expensive at the super market in Kaunakakai and gasoline is equally dear. But we stumbled on a slack-key guitar festival our first day on the island and the beautiful music and aloha spirit of the occasion and people stayed with us for the week we were there. We had our anniversary dinner at the Hotel Moloka'i, a favorite spot for locals, and were pleased with the food. On another day we went up to the posh Moloka'i Lodge and sat out on their lanai, enjoyed the view and drank expensive beverages. I liked Moloka'i; my husband preferred Mau'i and The Big Island. If I wanted another serenely quiet and peaceful week I would go back to Moloka'i.

• Stayed June 2004
42 Thank Littleweezer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maunaloa
Hotel Molokai
#4 of 4 in Kaunakakai
MVP - Wavecrest
MVP - Wavecrest
#2 of 4 in Kaunakakai

Been to Ke Nani Kai? Share your experiences!