“Great food”

Kualapu'u Cookhouse
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Kualapuu
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Georgia
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We ate lunch there one day and the food was excellent. The service was very good. Please go there if you have the opportunity.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Dothan45

“A must on Molokai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed on Molokai for a week. We ate here 3 times. Well 6 if you take into account that the portion sizes are large enough for you to have a second meal later. We found the staff to be very friendly and the food was great. If your looking for true local cuisine this is the place. It's not fancy or flashy but it is good!!! Enjoy.

Kassel, Germany
“only good food in Molokai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Best food we could find in Molokai. If you expect fine dining, there is none in Molokai. If you are looking for good food in a very laid back, local atmosphere you will not be disappointed.

Some comments on concerns raised by other reviews: They were out of some things when we went there, but considering limited supply (and probably demand) on Molokai this happens. It certainly happens in other similarly remote/island settings. The bathrooms are really pretty bad, but far from the most disgusting I have ever seen. In my opinion the service was not as slow as other reviews suggest, but then again I often feel rushed by servers in the US.

We had kalua pork and BBQ ribs and both were really good, the ribs were close to perfect. The portions were huge and both came with a really good salad. Overall his is the only place in Molokai I would look forward to eating at again.

• Visited January 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Good food a little ways out of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Local favorites like Mahi Mahi and Ono fish as well as pork dishes are pepared with a bit of culinary flare in a very homey, Hawaiian atmosphere. Go early enough buy your wine or beer at the market across the street, and bring it to your table at the Cookhouse. No corkage charged!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank David H
Escondido, California
“It Probably IS the Best Restaurant on Molokai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

All right, I'm ready to upset the Cookhouse fans out there by not going Five Star on this place. It was good, but nothing like what I expected after all of the raves. Don't get me wrong, it looked like I expected, but that alone forces me to drop a star because one of my criteria is clean and while it's mostly clean, barely. The bathrooms need some help in that area.

But, I expected that. I also expected AMAZING food. The food was good, but nowhere near amazing. We went on Thursday for the famous prime rib and when I ordered I was told they were out of prime rib, which I knew was a possibility since we didn't arrive until 7, so I ordered the rib eye and shrimp. When the food finally came out, surprise-surprise, I got Prime rib and shrimp afterall... there was some left. The prime rib looked GREAT. The shrimp looked and smelled delicious. The only problem was that my meat was stone COLD. Not warm, COLD. I didn't complain because I knew that was the last cut of meat and what were they going to do to prime rib? Nuke it? Naw, I just ate it cold. It tasted good, just cold. The shrimp was good, it was wrapped in crab and bacon. One of them had a funky taste to it so I was feeling disappointed, but then the other two were really good, so yea for that. The bacon was crispy and they were covered a sweet sauce that was delish. Also came with a baked potato which was good, not fantastic.

The husband had the burger and macaroni salad and he said they were both really good. His burger came out well done, so I might not have been as enthusiastic, but they made him happy. He had a coke and I drank water. The water was actually really good.

While service is VERY slow, I was totally okay with that because I knew it going in and they tell you right on the menu that your on the wrong island if you're in a hurry. I was not in a hurry. The star of the night was our server. She was a bright shiny penny in a handful of dull coins. She was super friendly, had a great smile and was working her tail off serving the whole restaurant.

Cost, in cash (no credit taken), for the meal was $45 + tip.

Overall, it was a good experience, just not anything spectacular for the "best restaurant on the island".

Also, lovely Hawaiian music is played outside if you choose to sit out there. We sat inside, but almost went out there to enjoy it.

What can they do for 5 stars?
That's tricky.

you lose some of the ambiance if you spruce the place up, but a remodel of the restrooms would likely get at least another half star. Speed things up a hair? An hour from walking in until food arrives is particularly long. NO cold food. That was a whole star for me.

Would I go back? Yes.
Do I recommend? Absolutely. You can't get a meal like this anywhere else on Molokai that I know of... maybe Paddlers , but I didn't eat there and didn't hear as many good things about that place or if the hotel ever rebuilds their restaurant, but this is now.

• Visited December 2012