“LOVED IT!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Kaunakakai
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Well known bakery on Moloka'i island, Hawaii
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We loved the breakfast treats from here. The cinnamon roll was for sure the best I've ever had. We also did the late night bread run. It was not hard to find and soooo worth it. We ordered only one with butter and cinnamon and it was amazing. I wish we would have gone before our last night there because we would have gone more! We did not eat at the restaurant, so I can't report on that!

1  Thank MelissaW1

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Hot bread at 8pm? Sounds looney but this was a hoot and delicious. The Kanemitsu Bakery has a large storefront on the main drag through Kaunakakai but that's NOT where you'll find the to bread treat that goes on sale from 8-11 or until midnight depending on the day of the week.

A couple of buildings to the right of the storefront you'll find a dark unappealing alley. If this were anyplace other than Molokai, you would think twice about entering this narrow place in total darkness. But on this innocently safe island, there are no worries. Stroll in about 100 feet and you'll come to a brightly lit passage way. It looks like it leads to a Chinese restaurant. Walk to the end of the lit passageway, then look left. You'll see a half-door with a sign for "Hot Bread".

Ring the bell for the baker and he will serve up one of the freshest loaves of bread you have ever eaten. Warm and crispy on the outside, soft and hot on the inside. Yumm!

But that's not all, the baker cuts the large loaf in half horizontally and smears the inside with liberal portions of flavors of your choice. Cinnamon, cream cheese, strawberry, blueberry or a few other delicious fillings to choose from. The flavors are fantastic and the experience is uniquely Molokai. Make time for this $7 meal/experience...you won't regret it.

1  Thank Crpl_D
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Our first trip to Kanemitsu Bakery was at night, when they sell their hot breads; I.e., fresh out of the oven. It starts around 8:00 -> 8:30 PM. If the "OPEN" sign is lit in the front, you have to go around to the back door to pick up your very fresh bread - absolutely the best we've ever tasted - with all kinds of spreads to be added - strawberry, cinnamon, cream cheese, etc. Then we had a wonderful breakfast a couple of mornings later.

2  Thank Orangegator
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We ate in the bakery's restaurant. I had a tuna sandwich and my husband had saimin. We both liked our food and thought the prices were reasonable. We also ordered a donut, a cinnamon roll and some bread rolls for sandwiches to go--we found the baked goods to be a bit overpriced and just OK though.

1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

So I'm from Portland Oregon and while I embrace and even love the chewy crusty breads here, this was an opportunity to return to the cloud like white bread squishiness style bread of childhood. The sweet loaf was double carb heaven. Had some kind of coconut pastry that floated into my mouth. No whole grain goodness here. Staff was very helpful.

1  Thank Grit D