“Spongy sweet treats”

Kanemitsu Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Kaunakakai
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Well known bakery on Moloka'i island, Hawaii
“Spongy sweet treats”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

So I'm from Portland Oregon and while I embrace and even love the chewy crusty breads here, this was an opportunity to return to the cloud like white bread squishiness style bread of childhood. The sweet loaf was double carb heaven. Had some kind of coconut pastry that floated into my mouth. No whole grain goodness here. Staff was very helpful.

1 Thank Grit D

Macomb, Michigan
“RUDE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

7 minutes before closing, they were shutting the doors. We were right there and I could not believe they were shutting the doors on us. I asked if we could come in before they closed and the response was: we are closed. There was no "I am sorry we are sold out," or "we are closing early tonight", or even "excuse me I need to shut the door" - literally like a scene from a comedy -- the door was shut in our face. If were a half of step in, we would have been hit. Apparently a local Caucasian woman saw this and offered a loaf of her bread she just bought. We could not believe the kindness. (Found out later it was moldy bread!) But we did return the next day. The bread was fluffy and good but the Danishes were old and stale.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Tarainjag
Florence, Kentucky
“A must go to place if you love baked goods or breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was a quaint place where fresh baked good are the star of the day. You can have a great breakfast here. The smell alone will bring you here. Yum. We had pastries and regretted not getting bread.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank molelady
Naubinway, Michigan
“Great place to stop by”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Very friendly staff and the variety of products available, if you stop early enough, is good. They also serve breakfast and lunch. We will be going back

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Richard B
Austin, Texas
“Hot, fresh bread with sweet stuffings.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

We'd finished dinner and gone to get ice cream, then decided at 8pm to see if the bread was being sold yet. Parked by the alley across from Friendly Market and 3 girls walk out carrying white bags that look like they have round loaves of bread. Woo hoo! So we walk about 20 yards down the alley and turn left under a little awning that has light coming out from under and where we can hear several voices talking.
There's a line, but only 5 in front of us so shouldn't be long. Due to benches and large waiting area, I assume the crowd can get big. I saw a t-shirt today that said: Molokai Nightlife- Saturday night in line at the Kanemitsu Bakery. Turns out 2 of 5 were buying for all their friends- like 10 loaves each. And only one guy doing the prep and collecting money. That's ok, no place else to be. We stand and chat and smell the fresh bread baking. When it's our turn we get a butter cinnamon and a blueberry cream cheese. $7 each. These things are huge -10" across at least. I can't wait to try, and on way back to car tear off a hunk of each. OMG- yeasty, sweet heaven. Though I picked the Cinnamon, I think the blueberry and cream cheese is better. It's like a homemade pie-filling blueberry with whole berries and not too sweet, not like a jam. But I'm stuffed so I save the rest for breakfast. You can refrigerate them and slice in the morning and wrap in a paper towel and 15-20 sec in microwave makes them as good as the night before. Great with coffee on the lanai.

3 Thank Danyel C