“AMAZING hot bread”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Kaunakakai
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Well known bakery on Moloka'i island, Hawaii
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We heard so much about going to Kanemitsu Bakery in the evenings for hot bread so we had to check it out. As many others have probably mentioned, you go down a dark alley and then turn into another dark alley that leads to the back window where you knock for service. Bakers are there in the evening baking for the next morning. You can order hot bread with different fillings, and sometimes they have other amazing baked goods. I'm not sure if they always have them, but the evening we went they had fresh buttered rolls. We ordered bread and rolls and it was all so good. They give you the goods still hot and it's all so yummy. The guy that took our order was very nice and the items came out after only a few minutes. We read that they open the back area at 8pm, 8:30pm, 9pm....we went around 8:15pm and there was a family there already getting handed their bread, so they might possibly start it at 8pm.

2  Thank Miranda M

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The place we stayed had a guest book and people kept writing about hot bread. We asked around til we found you could sneak down a dark alley and turn, with directions, to a lighted window after 8:00 at night and buy fresh white bread, sliced and slathered with various toppings. The bread was yummy and a little too white for health, but the feeling of sneaking to a Speakeasy in the dark of night made a great memory.

1  Thank Kathleen H
Reviewed March 28, 2013

While visiting my sister on Molokai I knew, despite health board issues, that I could not leave without an 11pm visit down the alley to the back door of the bakery for some hot bread with Butter, Cream Cheese, Cinnamon, Blueberry, Strawberry....how could I pick? So i didn't. We got butter and cinnamon one night and Cream Cheese and Strawberry the next and neither dissapointed, as a matter of fact leftovers didn't make it till the morning. We went into a carb coma and watch hawaii five o.
We also bought a "day old bag" don't remember exactly if that was what it was called, but that is what it was. It was filled with various pastry goodness from the day before and WOW...if it is that good a day old I think I would have been in trouble to try it freshly made.
Maybe its just that Nashville bakeries are essentially places you get cupcakes and wedding cakes so my experience with pastries is just limited, but I think this place is just really THAT good!

1  Thank katys862
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Had I known about previous health board issues before coming to Molokai, I might not have stopped in. Although the counter person was not rude, nor rushing us, she wasn't as friendly as some of the people we met while on Molokai.
We bought a bag of the macadamia nut cookies for $8.00. This was a fair price. The cookies were fresh and yummy. Too bad, they didn't have a mixed bag sampling a variety as they were all the same price. There was a rolled thin cinnamon pastry with apple filling. I usually don't buy store baked goods, but it was so good, that I went our last day and bought another. On another occasion, we stopped into the restaurant side for coffee. There wasn't much on the menu to entice me for breakfast, but the place was filled with locals enjoying their meals.

1  Thank coast_to_coast_250
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hot bread, warm from the oven, split open and filled with cream cheese and strawberry jelly... mmm! There is no way the two of us could eat a whole big loaf between us in one evening (although we were tempted.) So the next day we sliced our strawberry bread and toasted it in our kitchen broiler for dessert. And the next day... And the next day!

We never did go back to see what the place looked like during the day, or from the front door.

1  Thank DonnaFromOklahoma