“Overpriced for what you get”
Review of Hotel Molokai

Hotel Molokai
Ranked #1 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 22, 2013

During my recent stay there was no hot water, but to the hotel's credit they did change my room rather quickly. But if you came to Molokai fo peace and relaxation, especially at night-think again. My room was not only close to the bar, but to the main road on Molokai. So I was kept awake until 11:00 PM with the bar noise. At about 2:00 AM I was awoken to the noise of vehicles going down the main road every 5-10 minutes. So in all intensive purposes I had about 3 hours of sleep that night. The room as previously noted by other guests has paper thin walls so you hear everything outside. So if you like paying alot of money for a noisy, bust up room, go ahead and stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dacruster
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Your feedback is very valuable to us. We will utlize your review by continuing to focus on making all of our guest experience the best it can be.
We hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Best regards.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that if you are high maintenance and are used to staying in Ritz Carlton's or Four Seasons- Molokai is not the place for you. But if you like rustic, charming, friendly, and comfortable, then Hotel Molokai is perfect. Plus its the only hotel on Molokai.

My husband and I enjoyed our recent stay of 5 nights. The staff was great and the accommodations comfortable. We had a king bed in an oceanfront room, so we had a great breeze (no A/C in the room- we never felt we needed it), a ceiling fan, and the sound of the waves all night. The hotel provides ear plugs due to local roosters, but they never woke us up. The bathroom is small, but clean, and they provide Bath & Body Works products that smelled great. Coffee (no decaf) and ice water are available in the lobby all day, and every morning in the lobby there is fruit & packaged muffins/cakes provided to guests. Free wi-fi is available, and there is a computer in the lobby with a printer if you need it. The property is not new or modern, but nothing on Molokai is, and that's the way it should be.

They have a small pool and a bar that serves a small grill menu right now (burger, veggie burger, chicken sandwich, etc), as the restaurant is being rebuilt. We left on a Thursday, so we missed the live entertainment on Saturday, but we heard it was great.

Michael (manager) had a meet & greet (free) cocktail hour on Monday and he was a very gracious host. We had a great time and learned what it was like to really relax.

Room Tip: There are only 4 oceanfront rooms so book early if you want one.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lynn3003
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Aloha Lynn,

Thank you so much for posting a review. We are truly happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our only goal is to make sure all of our guests have the same experience like you. We hope to see you in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I cant say enough nice things about my visit here to the Hotel Molokai, and while there are always a few glitches to discuss at rustic, laid-back, hotels, I believe this location warrants a grade of "excellent" based on the service and the overall spirit of Aloha that permeates the property.

It started at the front desk where check-in was quick and easy as it gets....very low key, and very helpful. Pua was a gem taking care of the reservation, and also assisted in setting up a couple excursions that were wonderful as well.

The room was oceanfront, second floor.....fairly basic and a bit rustic, but a view to die for, and no a/c. Now, while some might scoff at a room without a/c in the tropics. I can assure you it was always comfortable, at least during the week I was there in February. I cant speak about summer months, but for this time of year? No problem at all.....

The pool was basically empty most days....it truly felt like the resort was all mine to do as I pleased with.....great bar by the pool but hours are only from about 4-10 pm each day or so (I guess it depends on how busy the resort it)....

Do not expect a huge, wide, powdery-white sand beach here.....the resort fronts a lagoon that is a part if a huge barrier reef, and the flats there are very shallow....if anyone is into fly fishing or bone fishing, I think this resort would be PRIME A-1 for a fishing trip.....its basically untouched but I saw schools of bones tailing and chasing bait every day right in front of my room.

I also cant say enough about Michael the manager.....great attitude, and his cocktail party should NOT be missed....

This is a place to go to for relaxation....relaxation, and more relaxation...and the staff and management do a wonderful job making sure thats what you get!.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Aloha!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted that you truly enjoyed your visit with us. Molokai is truly a gem and a relaxation paradise. We hope to see you inthe future.

Be well.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very thin walls. Could hear people walking above me in the middle of the night. Needs repairs. Bathroom door all chewed up on bottom, window panes coming out of front door and patches on walls were painted over with the wrong color paint. Internet didn't work and restaurant still not open. Enjoyed the continental breakfast. Nice view from the pool. Room was clean and single beds comfortable. Staff was very friendly. I liked the old ambiance. I loved the island and enjoyed the mule ride.

Room Tip: Room facing inward or towards ocean and get on top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate your feedback and comments. Please know that your feddback is very important and we will utlize your feedback by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

If you haven't been to Moloka'i, you probably won't understand that comment. You will after you've been there.

Moloka'i is a beautiful island. The East is lush and green and offers fantastic ocean views of Maui and Lana'i. The West is dry, but has an enormous beach and offers views of O'ahu. The south gives views of Lana'i. The island has much to offer for views, but don't think for a minute that it has a lot of man-made activities.

Hotel Moloka'i is a decent place. My room was clean. It had a nice patio with table and chairs. The bed was comfortable, although small (standard rooms are twin beds, upgraded rooms offer king). The staff was nice and they offered a kind of continental breakfast. There was no air conditioning in our room, but there was a fan. There was also a pool area and the entire back side of the hotel grounds offered great ocean frontage views. The restaurant burned down some time ago, so you will have to eat out or bring food with you.

But this is Moloka'i. Nothing is going to be new and fancy. You won't find a resort. You're not on Moloka'i for that anyway.

In general, the Hotel Moloka'i will offer clean, comfortable quarters. I offer it an average rating. This is when rated against other Hawaiian hotels. There are few places to stay on this island, so for Moloka'i it is actually very good.

Room Tip: Remember, not restaurant at this location. You will have to eat out or bring your own food.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 1960Corvette

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We certainly appreciate your comments and feedback. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We enjoyed Hotel Molokai for the manager and staff that made us feel so welcome and at home. The beds are very comfortable and the view was beautiful. The manager's cocktail hour was very enjoyable. If you are looking for a place that you can totally relax this is the place. The only thing that could have made it better would have been if the restaurant was open but at least there was bar food Thursday thru Sunday. We found the Paddler's Inn served very good food and drinks plus the staff was very nice.

Room Tip: I enjoyed being on the upper deck in room 208 with a view of the ocean, pool and bar.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pattie K

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Be well

Reviewed February 4, 2013

When it comes to...everything on Molokai- dining, accomodations, activities, sightseeing- you will find your options will always be slim to none. (Frankly, from what I've heard and seen of the other islands, I would recommend going to any other island before this one. Save your time and headache.) So this hotel doesn't have to make any effort at all if they don't want to.

But I actually had a good experience. The buildings were these cute polynesian huts you see in people's photos. 60's on the outside but relatively recently reno'ed on the inside with nice clean white bed linens. Every room has a lanai, I think. The pool and surrounding bar and sitting area were fine. The hammocks were a nice tough. Grab out at sunset and you'll see the other guests come out to take photos of the sunset over the water. The hotel is on the beach and its nice to look out over the water but this isn't a beach you want to swim at or sit on the sand; do that elsewhere on the island. (You'll need a local's recommendation for that, though. Good luck!)

The staff were very nice and helpful and I enjoyed the continental breakfast with local fruit and that strong Hawaiian coffee.

As the photos show and another reviewer noted, there are those sections of your room's exterior wall that will have that lattice work and screens so your room can actually be closed to the outside world completely. This bothered one of our traveling companions and for good reason. There area ton of chickens and roosters on or near the property, which is cute and all, but they are crowing, loudly, from well before sunrise and are INCESSANT. I happened to have brought earplugs and I you're gonna want to do the same. Other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lola1299
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for posting a review. Your feedback is very important to us. We will utilize your comments to continue improve on our service. We hope to see you in the future.

Best

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Lanai City
MVP - Wavecrest
MVP - Wavecrest
#1 of 3 in Kaunakakai

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!