“A nutty lesson”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A nutty lesson”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Don't expect to purchase alot of mac nuts cheap - which is what you might think since you are getting them right off the farm. if you want nuts to take home - go to Costco. But it was a unique experience - very personal attention - no pressure to buy anything.

Visited June 2012

Los Angeles, California
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Authentic Molokai Experience”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My family visited the nut farm as part of a day tour, and this was the higlight from my perspective. It was simple and unspectacular, but it was a genuine anecdote of the Molokai lifestyle. The owner was a real character, and he sought to broaden our understanding of the macadamia nut. Since I had already visited Mauna Loa nut farm and the Maui Tropical Plantation, I was already versed on this subject. However, the owner here was ever so personable and inviting.

After telling us about the tree itself, we had the chance to break into some nuts ourselves using primitive tools, ones he uses as well. (Mechanization is minimal on this farm). My two, young sons thoroughly enjoyed this hands-on experience. The nuts in the "raw" form were different from the canned variety, but I still found them to my liking. Then he walked us over to a small table to serve us roasted macadamia nuts from a coconut shell bowl. At this same table he proceeded to carve out slices of fresh coconut for us to dip into a choice of a special honey or mustard. This was another delightful treat.

The journey ended with a quick visit to his closet-sized gift shop offering nuts, dips, and a few other items. Never did he pressure anyone to make a purchase, though. He simply persisted as our jovial host, seemingly happy just to have us as guests to his humble farm. And when everyone started their short walk back to the tour bus, the owner asked if I would like the remainder of the roasted nuts. I gratefully accepted, and with an unforgetable smile, he empied the remains of the coconut shell into my hand.

Driving away, I waved goodbye to the owner and his quaint nut farm. I will remember Purdy's as a little slice of heaven tucked away in a Hawaaian homestead on Molka'i.

2 Thank humu1
Oak Harbor, Washington
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Nutty in the best possible sense”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We easily found the place, but it helped to come from the right direction, and to have gotten directions from locals. It was very pleasant to visit this low-key, low-tech family operation that harvests mac nuts on trees planted in the 1920's. The owner's sister showed us the operation.

It was fun to take a rock and hammer and crack our own, as many as we wanted, using two different methods which the owner's sister showed us. We also enjoyed dipping raw coconut into mustard and honey cups to sample.

It was very interesting also to see the various stages of growth/maturation of the mac nuts.

Visited April 2012
San Jose, California
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Fun, Friendly, and Folksie!”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We came from the wrong direction, and so had a bit of trouble finding the place, but it was worth some extra cruising to find them! Nothing slick here, just a family that raises mac nuts on trees planted in the 1920's. Very low tech, but you can tell they love it. The owner's sister showed us the operation. Love to retire to that sort of lifestyle!
Take a rock and hammer and crack your own, as many as you want! Dip raw coconut into mustard or honey to sample. We also tried the hot mac nut oils.

Not many stopped by while we were there, just one couple and some locals who left money in a jar and helped themselves while we were finding out about the place. We got both raw and roasted macadamias, which I am eating as I write. Wonderful stuff. They ship, so I may be ordering more! Great to help a family farm, rather than a huge operation.

Visited April 2012
Petaluma, California
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“A Unique Little Place.”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stopped at Purdy's and were given the tour by the owner. It is very enlightening and educational for those that have never been to a macadamia farm. You also can open the raw macadamias, taste them raw and roasted and the honey from the farm as well.

Visited January 2012