“Taste o' the Mainland”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Despite living 1-2 miles from Giannotto's for years, and filing up my truck across the street weekly, I just tried them this year. I'm glad I did. I've been 5 times since.

David Giannotto, the owner, is very personable. He clearly cares about his restaurant, his food, and his customers. I've never left without receiving a heartfelt "thank you". Neat guy.

The food is a welcome respite for a transplanted mainlander. On Maui quality food can be tough to find if you don't want to spend $50/person in one of the tourist areas. The local places tend to have freshness and/or preparation issues. The menu at Giannottos is typical of many of the pizza places dotting the east coast of the US. Pizzas, subs, salads, calzones, pastas, etc.

The crust is thin/east coast style. It's authentic, and prepared correctly. All pizzas are the same size (~16") and feed 2-4 adults, depending on appetite. The veggie pizza and deluxe are excellent.

I have not tried any of the pastas yet, but salads are excellent. The greek salad is a basic interpretation (iceberg/romaine, olives, feta, onions, etc) but something about it is addictive. It's meant for 2-3 people, but I find myself unable to not finish it. Give it a try.

My only complaint is the price. It's a tad high - It's tough to not spend $40 on a pizza and a couple sides. The cost of keeping the pizza ovens at temp given Maui's sky high energy prices may be to blame. Pizza by the slice is also available for those on a budget.

There's seating outside, and a few tables inside if you wish to eat on-site. Main street isn't particularly scenic, but the temperatures at night are always perfect 65-70F. Giannotto's is BYOB. Alcohol is available across the street at Chevron, and they actually have a decent selection of wines and beers for a gas station ($5-$30).

Recommended.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Great pizza! Well worth every penny! One size. Thin crust! Delicious! Owner was super nice!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The wife and I passed by here on our way to Iao Valley looking for a place for lunch. We saw the sign "Food Court" and I was hooked by the sign for Giannotto's. We parked, and wandered thru the little ethnic food court. David (owner) hinted to us as we were looking over the offerings that we'd be better off at his place. I nudged my wife into trying it. He was right. I ordered a slice of the "meat pizza", the wife had a salad. The salad was huge, full of good, fresh veggies. My pizza appeared to be a slice of cheese pizza that had the toppings put on it then heated. It also was pretty good. Wailuku is lucky to have this place. As others have noted, David greeted us with a handshake and made sure twice that we were satisfied. We enjoyed reading over the memorabilia on the walls. I gave him a thumbs up on our way out. I wish I'd ordered two slices.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

A great traditional pizza just like the way I used to get them back home. I just had to go to Maui to get one!

Reviewed February 9, 2012

The pizza and sandwiches are good, but I would not go out of my way to stop and eat here. Giannotto's is NOT generous enough when filling the sub rolls or covering the pizza. If you are in Wailuku and want pizza, then Giannotto's pizza is the only game in Wailuku. Better pizza can be found on Maui. Have only eaten the pizza and subs. The owner is a colorful character and really nice - a transplanted New Jersey boy. He works hard in the restaurant.

1  Thank MauiGlobeTrotters