“Crabs cakes great...”

Main Street Bistro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is a 60 seat restaurant that does Lunch, takeout and early dinner. Lunch is main business as it is in the heart of the judicial, financial and medical center of Maui County. The first Friday of every month they provide live music until about 10 pm. Great value with food from the soul. Drinks are strong and try some of the special martinis, Lilikoi Lip Balm, BBQ martini are newest. Menu changes based on product so look often. Unfortunately web site can't stay abreast of changes, so call for updates. Private functions and outside caterings are discussed and encouraged. Great for medical programs and rehearsal dinners.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

crabby chef.. just okay. The food was delicious, but as the only 2 customers in the restaurant on a Thursday night ... (before we left two other parties were seated) I was disappointed in the lack of interaction (zero) from the Chef Tom from an open kitchen and the solo wait staff. I'd probably try this place again based on the quality of the food..but I'll have to remind myself that I can alway opt for carry out.

1  Thank JRB_Travels
greatfoo, Owner at Main Street Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on our crab cakes, sorry you all felt I was "crabby", I guess that I could not cover up the bad news that I had just heard, I do thank you all so much for visiting us and hope to see you all again soon so that I can show you that I may be crabby but also have a sense of humor. Mahalo for your review

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Delicious food, friendly proprietor and reasonable prices. Can't go wrong when in Wailuku a quaint little town near iao Valkey.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Living in Wailuku, my wife and I have been to The Main Street Bistro several times and have never been disappointed. Tom Selman has cooked in several of Maui's top restaurants but eventually decided to run his own place. When it's busy I suppose some people can be put off by the service but Tom is doing all of the cooking himself and takes the time to make sure every order is done right. Remember, you're in Hawaii. Relax.

We often eat when the restaurant isn't as busy and Tom usually comes over and talks to us even though he really doesn't know who we are. He loves talking about cooking and has many interesting stories about Maui.

My favorite meal is his grilled Mahi sandwich. He explained that he puts the fish in olive oil and freezes it. When it thaws it soaks in some of the oil making a very moist and flavorful meal. My wife's favorite is the shrimp burger that other people have mentioned. It's true that some of the dishes are small but that's what tapas are - small plates. If you're really hungry order two or three and you should be satisfied. And do get the onion rings -!/2 order!

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Don't let the basic atmosphere deceive you; this place has excellent food. I had the steak sandwich and my wife ordered the crab sandwich. The crab patty was large and delicious and the steak sandwich was tasty. Tbe only thing I didn't like was the sauce (which was delicious) for the steak sandwich was all over the bottom of the plate so I couldnt pick up the sandwich without sauce dripping all over...easily solved with a fork and knife.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stumbled upon this little place by accident. It didn't look like much - a very utilitarian, slightly grim look that they could afford to show a little more love to (the bathroom is in a completely different and equally grim building next door) - but WOW, the food was unexpectedly excellent! We had the shrimp burger, which was in size somewhere between a burger and a slider, but every bite of it delicious. Also had the mushroom risotto - creamy and full of meaty mushrooms, as well as a side of the polenta fries, which were an interesting addition. We left very full and feeling lucky to have found this little gem! Putting a little effort into the lighting and decor would pop this place into the stratosphere.