“Refined Comfort Food”

Main Street Bistro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is a 60 seat restaurant that does Lunch, takeout and early dinner. Lunch is main business as it is in the heart of the judicial, financial and medical center of Maui County. The first Friday of every month they provide live music until about 10 pm. Great value with food from the soul. Drinks are strong and try some of the special martinis, Lilikoi Lip Balm, BBQ martini are newest. Menu changes based on product so look often. Unfortunately web site can't stay abreast of changes, so call for updates. Private functions and outside caterings are discussed and encouraged. Great for medical programs and rehearsal dinners.
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Convieniently located on Main street in little Wailuku town, the decor is a bit spartan. What makes this place special is that all the cooking is done by well known chef Tom Selman and the quality of the food that comes out of the kitchen is superb. This means that Tom is always there and I don't think he even ever has a kitchen helper with him -what a hard working guy.

The prices can seem high given the decor and the hours pretty limiting (remember it's only Tom) but what you get is Tom and his take on "comfort food" and just plain excellent eating.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have been going for years. Always attracts a local crowd. The food is excellent every time, the specials are always good. If you are coming in from the airport or on your way out, it is worth the trip. Crab cakes when they are on the menu are awesome, and if you have room try the banana cream pie (deconstructed) - it's one of a kind.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Fresh ingredients, well prepared - this restaurant knows seasonings and service. It's my go-to restaurant for lunch and tapas. The menu is elegant and simple - local flavors, sophisticated preparation, beautifully presented. The service is friendly and professional and the atmosphere casual and welcoming. I just had one of the best martinis of my life! I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

We were looking forward to trying a new restaurant on Maui. The reviews were great. OMG, the service was painfully slow. We ordered one of the specials of the day, we both had the brisket sandwich one with mac salad and one with slaw. It was horrible in taste and presentation. Very salty and burnt. I suppose any "chef" can have a bad day, but we will never go back!

greatfoo, Owner at Main Street Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

I am very sorry that you felt that one of specials was not up to par. We are well known for our 12 hour smoked brisket. If there is something that I may do please let me know, I do appreciate your comments and will make sure that this issuse doesn't happen again . Thank you for your review and feedback

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We have always enjoyed the food at Main Street Bistro and we were not disappointed again this year. The food was wonderful; as good as we remembered from last year. Tom is a great chef and we have never had a bad meal. This year we have gone twice; once for lunch and once for tapas in the early evening. As we expected the food was flavourful and innovative. This is such a gem of a restaurant because the food is wonderful and the prices are reasonable. There is no ocean view and the restaurant is a bit quaint, but we will keep going back.

1  Thank 154913Happytraveller