“awful experience”

and up
Maui Horseback-Riding Tour
Ranked #10 of 49 things to do in Wailuku
Reviewed June 9, 2009

the guide was rude, the horses all skinny and overworked. what a joke for $120!!!

10  Thank nightlifemaui
"great activity"
"photo ops"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2009

One of the highlights of our Maui experience was to go horseback riding at the Mendes Ranch in Wailuku! We saw parts of Maui that you could only see from this ride! The cowboy ranch was located in a mountainous area, away from the hub bub of tourists, about half an hour from Kihei. The cowboys are real, down-to-earth friendly people who were not only polite and knowledgeable, but demonstrated expert horsemanship skills. The cowboys at Mendez ranch know their horses, and match them up with each rider, based on size and ability. The ride was great! We were given 2 opportunities to gallop, but only for those who wanted to, and there was no pressure to do so. We rode trails up and down the mountain paths, stopped at an overlook for photos, as well as a ride down to a spot where waves crashed along the rocky coast, allowing for photo ops there as well. The trail guide took our photos using our own camera, so there was no gimmick to buy anything else! The bar-b-que that followed the trail ride was like one of the best picnic style lunches that we've ever had! Our compliments to the cook! I would remind those who don't ride much...plan on being a little bit sore the next day, as you will use muscles that you forgot you had! Totally worth it! When you visit Mendez Ranch, tell Butch that Jerry & Sandy said "Aloha"!

1  Thank haphappycamper
Reviewed February 5, 2009

My wife and I did the afternoon ride compliments of our friend,it was a ok ride,all it was riding straight downhill,the horses felt like they had to step lightly.Rode down to the coast but not on the beach.ok ride nothing special.Only good thing about it was the view of the valley and beach.

2  Thank BandBAdventures
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Just got back from Maui and my wife and I joined the two hour ride here. I loved it. Our guide was a French guy called Frenchy and he was very nice. My wife has ridden horses before but I am a beginner. I got the intermediate horse anyway, since I like to think myself a fast learner and wanted to gallop the horse. At first I was a little worried, but Frenchy made us all feel very safe and after the first fifteen minutes I was enjoying the ride. Horses for the entire group were good and well mannered. The views were spectacular and the ride took us from the hills to a spot next to the ocean. We did have a chance to run the horses twice and at no time did I feel I was losing control. I guess my thought was, just hang on and enjoy it. Plus Frenchy gave us good instructions on how to handle the horses. We stayed for the lunch BBQ afterwards which was just so-so but we did not expect too much anyway. We came for the ride and not the food. Great experience and would recommend it. On another note, we drove north on the 340 afterwards and loved the drive. The views were better than the rode to Hana.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We really enjoyed our recent ride at the Mendes Ranch. Our family of 3 (including 7 year old) were fairly inexperienced, and they took good care of us. Unlike a lot of tours, you don't feel like a number but an individual. They match you up with an appropriate trail horse, and you have a nice 2 hour ride with wonderful views of mountains and ocean. They also stop along the way and take pictures for you which is a nice touch. Overall, a great time for the whole family.

1  Thank Hunwolf