“Very positive expeirence. Can't complain...”
Review of Pride of Maui

Pride of Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Snorkel Adventure Tours to Molokini Crater, Turtle Town, and other premier Maui snorkeling destinations.
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I am very thankful that I took the time to research the many different options and choices that maui offers in the snorkeling area. I found that their are close to a 75 different boats that offer many different choices from sailing on a catermeran all morning to a simple quick small jet boat that provides a 3 hr trip to molokini turtle town. Each operation has the ability to suit my needs. The reason I chose pride is because they offered allot of informative info about the snorkel locations. Everyone on board seemed very happy to be and outgoing providing us with service with a smile. This makes a huge difference for me to take my family on a boat that gives a real honest caring attitude about my needs. I know these people aren't super heroes and can't fullfill all my needs but they did a pretty damn good job trying. Again I am glad I room the time to research all my options this way if I don't like something I can't blame anyone but my self... I found this boat is a great option for families. The lunch allows for kids and vegetarians. They have a super fun waterslide (very addictive). Make sure you try snuba if you never have. This actually help me overcome my fear of deep water. Awsome experience. I also bought the full photo package for my famiy... No regrets well worth. Thank you again for all your smiles fun and laughter and allowing me to keep memories of a lifetime.

2  Thank BobMarels
Write a ReviewReviews (1,345)

Reviewed December 27, 2010

As soon as we were under way the sales pitches began on the loud speaker: photographer pitch, snuba lessons, snuba video, wetsuits and on the way back a plea for tips for the crew. Yes, a person can always decline, but they informed us right before we got to Molikini island that the water is colder than the water right off Maui (they also said they were going to run out of wetsuits to make everyone rush to get one). Since my daughter is pretty slender, I didn't want her to be cold, so I forked out an additional $20. I felt doubly ripped off when it was only a raggedy top. On a subsequent trip to Molikin, I found out that it's not true that the water is colder, in fact the water can be a couple of degrees warmer than right off Maui. My partner, daughter and I had already paid close to $400 for a 5 1/2 hour snorkel trip to Molikini and "Turtle Town". If you do this trip, I recommend skipping "Turtle Town". It's a spot right off Makena (which they don't tell you even if you ask). It's full of tour boats crammed with snorkelers - should be called "Snorkel Town". Snorkelers are running into each other - some are shouting - one group dumped bread crumbs in the water. I saw one turtle in the murky crowded water. He headed straight for the bottom and didn't move (who can blame him). This extra snorkel stop just about doubled the price and we were permitted only 20 minutes there.

prideofmaui, Manager at Pride of Maui, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2011

Aloha,

Thanks for joining us aboard the Pride of Maui. Guest satisfaction is our first priority. The additional optional services we offer aboard the boat have been very well received from the vast majority of our guests / customers who appreciate the opportunity to enhance their experience. SNUBA provides the opportunity to go beyond snorkeling to experience weightlessness and breathing underwater in the care of our expert instructors.

By having an expert underwater photographer on-board, we are able to offer our guests professional video and images of their special day with us. You can walk off the boat with a personalized DVD or photo CD in hand.

Wetsuits are offered, because the average water temperature of 78 °F will lower your core body temperature after you have been in the water 10 minutes or so. We want you to be comfortable so you can relax and enjoy the experience. The wetsuit is also a safety feature, as it provides additional buoyancy, and aids in sunburn protection. The information supplied in your post about water temperature at Molokini is not accurate. Water temp at Molokini is cooler than at the Maui Beaches, which is why we mention it just before you enter the water at Molokini. You might want to research the accuracy of this fact, by Googleing Maui Beach water temperature and Molokini water temp or other searches that provide factual information from competent sources. Even Blane Perun, a world renowned coral reef expert mentions this on his blog site - see http://www.thesea.org/molokini/dive_molokini.htm. The $10.00 wetsuit rental fee is common amongst Maui's commercial snorkel boats and a fair price for the additional comfort, protection and buoyancy they provide. Again, these additional opportunities are strictly optional.

Turtle town is an excellent stretch of coral reef offering a wide variety of beautiful coral, colorful fish and of course “lots of turtles”. That is why it has become such a popular destination. Many of the turtles on our website in fact were photographed at Turtle Town. Turtle Town is located in front of some of the South Maui Resorts, although is far enough offshore that unless an excellent swimmer with a buddy and floatation, we would not recommend attempting to swim all the way to the reef from the beach. Fortunately, few there are who attempt swimming this distance to get to the reef, although we do see kayaker’s that have paddled out from the beach.

It is unfortunate that someone was feeding crumbs to the fish. You may recall that our crew is very thorough about explaining how important it is to protect our oceans and the animals therein. We specifically emphasize the importance of not feeding the fish, or harassing the turtles. The commercial operators are very dialed in to the environment we make our living from, and all cooperatively do our part to protect. We’ve had to follow up with a few guests over the past 30 years that didn’t pay enough attention during our safety briefing, to remind them not to feed the fish, although it is a rare occurrence, especially in this day and age where we are more and more educated and concerned about protecting our planet and it’s oceans.

In closing, I wanted to suggest that the Green Sea Turtle you saw resting on the bottom, was not necessarily spooked by the snorkelers. Even in remote locations in deep water on scuba, where just me and my dive buddy have been present, this resting on the bottom behavior is one of their signature behavior patterns. Doing so conserves energy and allows them to spend more time underwater between breaths. It is very common at Turtle town and other locations where the Sea Turtles gather, to see half a dozen or more, resting on the bottom.

We do not offer a 5 ½ hour excursion. Nor do we offer a half priced morning tour that only visits Molokini. We do offer an afternoon snorkeling excursion for about half the price of our morning trip, which does visit just one site. It too is popular, although not nearly as much as our morning adventure that visits two sites. The vast majority of our guests appreciate the opportunity to visit the crater which of course is very unique, as there are only two other semi-submerged calderas in the entire world, followed by snorkeling at one of our coral reefs (like Turtle Town), so they get to compare the diversity of each location, and to see the turtles at TT. We allow for about an hour and a half snorkeling at Molokini, and an hour in the water at Turtle Town, on the morning snorkeling excursion.

Reviewed December 9, 2010

We went on the morning Pride of Maui tour that took us to two locations. Mokoling Crater and Turtle town. We book our tickets on line and we thought we were buying snuba at both locations. It was only when we got to the second location that they told us we had not paid for two locations, and we had to pay an extra 39.95 to snuba at the second location (turtle town). The website is very unclear so make sure to call and ask what you are paying for online. The first location was a little dissapointing because there was very little to see there...only a few black fish with blue stripes, thats it. There was so much more colorful and beautiful fish to see for free at black rock by the Hyatt Regency hotel. The second location Turtle Town was ok..not much to see there either, but we did see 2 sea turtle which made me feel like i got my moneys worth. We did rent the underwater cameras for $40... well worth it. However..make sure to check the batteries before you go underwater. I had them replace my batteries 3 times on the tour. The batteries dont hold a charge for a long time. Here is a GREAT TIP....learn your camera on the hour trip to the crater...and put it in the video clip mode and you can also take video clips under water!!!! TOO COOL.. The video guy on the boat "Ryan" told me i shoudnt do it because i risk loosing all my pictures i took.. HE LIED. When i got my cd with my pics..it had all my pics and video clips too. I can see why he discourages using the video mode on the camera, because he wants you to buy the the video CD that they make for you while you are on the boat. Anyway..over all good time...the food was good.
We were very luck to only have 48 people on board. Normally there is up to 150 people.
The next time i go...i will not pay for snuba...not worth it for what there is to see...just snorkel at both locations...its about the same. Serously.

3  Thank RicoJ
Reviewed December 6, 2010

The whole experience was pretty bad. Non existent signage to get to the meeting place which was found to be what looked like an abandon building. There were about 34 victims of this disaster called a dinner cruise. The food was unloaded out of a truck just before we left and was obviously prepared somewhere else and at someother time. BBQ ribs were cold, chicken had some kind of soggy goo on it, vegetables were soft and dessert was overwhemed with almond extract. Theere are no tables so you ate on your lap with plastic dishes and utensils. After serving the meal the "cook" wasTo get out of the wind we went to a sheltered spot up the coast a bit. The boat was never anchored just moved back and forth along coast, problem was if the wave motion didn't upset your stomach the diesel fumes did. The only up side was the live entertainment. Mercifully, what was billed as a three hour cruise was over in two. Save your time and money and go out to a nice dining spot!! DMK

1  Thank dmkreview
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Did this tour with my husband and two teenage boys (17 and 14). We had a blast. Saw lots of fish and sea turtles. Crew was very helpful and attentive. The site is just beautiful. They even sent a shuttle to pick us up from our cruise ship (there was a fee - be sure to arrange this in advance otherwise you 'll need to get a cab to the harbor). Lunch and open bar was plentiful. Great day!!