“Great but not what we expected”
Review of Pride of Maui

Pride of Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Snorkel Adventure Tours to Molokini Crater, Turtle Town, and other premier Maui snorkeling destinations.
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We went to Pride of Maui's website which is a little hard to navigate. Unless I did it wrong you then have to choose a boat that you want to go on. We chose to take the teralani boat trip thinking that it was the Pride of Maui trip that would go to Molaki and Turtle Town.

FYI you meet at Whalers Beach area and the parking garage is $30 to park unless you buy something in the shopping center there.

Overall the crew was amazing and very personable. Yes they want you to buy a video at the end etc but it wasn't pushy at all and they were so laid back.

The ONLY disappointing piece was that when we arrived at the destination which wasn't turtle town or molaki (btw I know I'm spelling that wrong) we were informed that this was the best place to see things and that rather than going to 2 different locations we would spend the entire 4 hours at the 1 location. Granted it was a good location but we only saw 1 turtle hanging around for the entire 4 hours.

We did the Snuba which was really cool and I do recommend it. It was the fastest 30 minutes of my life! If you can't do free dives with scuba then this is the way to go! So easy to do and just an amazing experience. Josiah was the instructor and he did a really great job.

We stayed in the water the whole time so we actually didn't eat the food or drink anything but I didn't hear anyone complaining.

Overall really great and I would recommend the trip.... My only advice would be to try to confirm the location before you book if you have your heart set on going to somewhere specific.

There are newer reviews for Pride of Maui

Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband, adult son and I took the "Pride of Maui" for a morning snorkeling adventure. After checking in, signing waivers, and getting our photo taken as we boarded the boat, we were given a light continental breakfast of coffee, juice and pastries. We then sailed for about 45 minutes to an hour to Molikini Crater to snorkel. The boat's crew members were friendly and polite. Although the mask and snorkel were pretty standard (and you could choose either blue or yellow if you wanted a specific color or bring your own), the crew ensured that everyone had a proper fit for their fins and provided life jackets or noodles, if desired. They also offered SNUBA equipment or video cameras for an additional fee and loaded the pictures onto a DVD you could take home before you left the boat. Snorkeling at Molokini Crater was wonderful. The water was crystal clear and there were plenty of colorful fish. A lifeguard was stationed in the water on a surfboard to ensure everyone's safety. After ample time to snorkel, were provided with a tasty barbeque lunch on the boat and then we sailed on to "Turtle Town." Although they were a little elusive, I was able to spot several green sea turtles. When everyone was out of the water, and as we sailed back to the marina with festive music playing on the boat's sound system, we were offered mai tais, beer, ice water, and soda. Several crew members came around offering refills. We had a wonderful time on this snorkeling adventure. The only thing I would have done differently was to apply my sunscreen more frequently. I came back with a lots of great memories and photos, but a bit of a sunburn too.

1  Thank DianeC5
Reviewed July 16, 2011

With the maalea harbor under construction to upgrade some of the docks, the pride of Maui has made little effort to help ease the inconvenience caused by the construction. The check in area was hidden down a dead end street with a folding table and signage camouflaged behind a row of parked cars. The parking up at the lot by the Maui ocean center was a good 300 hundred yard walk in the afternoon heat with no shuttle service provided. There was no welcome aboard photos and the captain changed the dive spot at the last minute due to choppy waters. This meant we never went to molokini and the alternate dive spot was lame. With only 41 passengers aboard it's easy to see there is little "pride" left in this snorkle excursion.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

The boat was large, and easily accomodated all the patrons. The crew was very polite, and helpful. If you need anything, just ask.
When you get onto the boat, they had a good assortment of muffins and fresh fruit (and coffee and water).
No need to bring any snorkeling gear. However, if you have a thick swimshirt (like the surfers wear), it will help keep you warm in the water. If you don't have one, and feel you need one, you can rent one on the boat for $10. Two of my three children needed to rent them as they got cold after 20 minutes in the water. Most adults didn't need to wear one.
Bring Sunscreen!!!
The trip to Molokini was amazing. Crystal Clear water!!! We could easily see everything on the ocean floor, while floating at the top (30 feet deep water).
Getting into the water was very easy. They have a spot to sit, put on your fins, and slip into the water. Very simple.
They make burgers and chicken in-between stops. Burgers were great!
The trip to 'Turtle Town' was a little disappointing. Only a few people got to see turtles while in the water. Ironically, I didn't see any turtles while in the water, but when I got back on the boat, I saw 3 turtles swimming nearby. I felt like a kid when I saw them.
After turtle town, you make the trip back to the dock. They offer free soda, beer, and Mai Tais. Nice way to finish your day of snorkeling.
Overall, it was a great experience. When we go back to Maui, we are definitely going snorkeling with the Pride Of Maui.

1  Thank pmurt2
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I have done a lot of water trips but this one was pretty boring. The crew did not seem very enthusiastic to be there and it seemed to run off on the other patrons. Would not recommend this one at all.