“Wow. Very good indeed!”

Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ma'alaea Small Boat Harbor
Transit: Buzz's Wharf Restaurant is just a 1 minute walk from the Ma'alaea Harbor Village bus stop. Buses from all over Maui (Wailuku, Lahaina and Kihei) stop at Ma'alaea Harbor every hour.
Description: Established in 1967 In 1967, Jerry & Eileen Macdonald opened Buzz's Wharf Restaurant in the Ma'alaea Small Boat Harbor, where it still stands today. They shared 30 successful years in the restaurant business on Maui and Honolulu. In 1993, the Macdonald's retired and the next generation took over. The American Cuisine with an Island flavor continues on. Mrs. Macdonald's French Tahitian roots contributed to many of the unique menu items. Their signatures dish the " Prawns Tahitian" being the most popular.Buzz's Wharf Restaurant recently celebrated 45 years of operation, and is one of Maui's Long Standing restaurants. As a landmark in Ma'alaea Bay Harbor, Buzz's continues, year after year, to greet and extend their ho'okipa (hospitality) to both newcomers and their loyal local and visitor clientele. Our ocean front dining room offers panoramic views of the harbor, Mt. Haleakala and the southern coastline of Maui which only serve to enhance your dining experience.
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I had read a review in a guidebook that said this place was not very good. Now I read the tripadvisor.com reviews as this place being not too good either, so I must have had good timing.

I had a great meal here!

I ordered one of their combos, advertised as a plate lunch, but much better. It had a very nice salad with fresh grilled fish on top, and very good sides, plus macadamia nut pie for dessert that was heavenly. Everything was hot and fresh and I had good service too.

On the down side, the kitchen staff decided to blast out a rock tune in the kitchen at one point, which clashed with the relaxed Hawaiian music in the dining room. It lasted a few minutes and should have been quashed by management, but it did not bother me too much, though it was noticeable. Rating would have been 5 stars if not for that.

Reviewed December 3, 2008

Macademia Pie! Terrific. Mai Tai was over priced but good...second was better ;<) Since everything on Maui is very pricey, we were prepared.

Burger lunch was good, service so-so. With new knee surgery the stairs were not fun.

View of the marina and the harbor were worth it.

Did I mention the Macademia Pie?

Reviewed November 23, 2008

Had a bad lunch with friends here and cannot recommend Buzzs to anyone. I have been coming to Maui 29 years and never ate here before and now know that I haven't been missing anything.

Prawns were ok but not worth $5 each. Rice and macarroni salad were bland and unimaginative. The mixed vegatables were a joke...two pieces of sliced carrots and two pieces of sliced zucchini...could have been made by a small child.

Save your money for somewhere else..this is a tourist trap for the unwary.

3  Thank southmauijim
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Both the hostess and the waitress pushed the "award winning prawns" which were $25 for lunch. The plate consisted of 5 prawns and a small amount of rice. They were very tasty. If there were 10, it would have been value for the money. Who wants to pay $25 for lunch and leave very hungry.

$10 for a Mai Tai seemed high as well for this quality of restaurant.

I don't believe I have seen such dirty/stained carpets in any public establishment. I looked around and noted plenty of areas in need of refinishing.

The view was nice but not superb.

My wife didn't order the prawns and the server clearly expressed dissapointment in her voice. Otherwise the service was good.

If we both had a drink and prawns, it would have been a $90 lunch. I'd value it at $55.

4  Thank MauiBodyboarder
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I went to this restaurant with my bf on our vacation after my mom recommended it. The restaurant was in the harbou and did have a view but the view i thought was a bit dissapointing. Maybe because its in a large parking lot and angled so really your have be siting right beside the window and at the end of the restaurant. Anyhow, the service was okay..... maybe a bit slow considering it wasn't busy but satisfactory. The thing that caught me the most was that 90% of the people in this place were older folks which made us (mid-late 20's) feel a little out of place. As for the food, its not cheap and the lunch menu wasn't very large. We ordered fish/praw and chips combo because its sopposed to be there specialty. The fish and prawns were battered nicely and very tender. However, the fries were also battered and then deep fried.

So basically, if you are looking for a so so view with out dated decor and a retired crowed.... this place is for you.
If you just want good fish then you may also want to give it a shot.

1  Thank dragonangel77