“Never a Disappointment”

Dining options: Breakfast
Sacramento, CA
“Never a Disappointment”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We always visit Ma'alaea General Store at least once during each visit to Maui. We have never been disappointed. I think the only criticism I would give is to the hostess that greets you. Actually, she doesn't greet you---she stares at you when you walk in to the restaurant and doesn't say one word. You have to engage her in conversation before she asks you how many are in your party--even when there are only two people standing in front of her. The food was terrific, as always. It is a short drive from Kahului and worth it!

Visited May 2014

• Korean first
Virginia
“Great fresh apple muffin”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

stopped in and had breakfast, on waterfront, sitting outside and the muffin was fresh and tasty. The staff were friendly. They have a good selection of souveniers

Visited March 2014
Townsend, DE
“Good food, Nice folks”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We had breakfast and lunch at this sunny place a number of times. We had great sandwiches, delightful breakfast and found this place to be the perfect place to pick up items needed like milk and juice. The food is fresh and they have a nice choice of items. They open early and close midday. Need a newspaper - they have it. Just want a fresh bagel - excellent! Eat on their open or closed porches! It is just a nice place to start your day!

Visited January 2014
Entiat, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pastry&Sandwich Fail”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Cute little cafe with outdoor seating was just the perfect choice for lunch, or so we thought. The menu stated that the breakfast grill was open until 2pm.. well apparently they dont keep eggs in stock until two, because you were denied any item off the menu with eggs. Okay, so not a big deal right? Well, after choosing a different option and deciding to spulrge for an expensive pastry, everything was fine. After handing my money over and paying, I was told that they didnt have anymore pastries for sale, the lady looked at me like I was suppose to do something about it. The lady at the counter apparently didnt know how to use the cash register, because a refund was out of the question. So instead, the lady offered to substitute the pastry for a individual pie, fine by me..until the lady informs me that there will a $2 price difference. Really?..After looking at her with the most dumbfounded face ever, she agreed that she would just give me the pie for what the pastry was worth...okay so after a little misadventure while ordering...the worst is when they dont know how to make a turkey sandwich that doesnt take 35 minutes to wait for or one with the correct bread choice and without dijon mustard..once my name was called and my lunch was ready, guess what was missing..the pie. Had to go remind the lady the full order, just so I could get what I paid for. The most flustered, disorganized cafe ever, they cant even get the simplest thing right..it was just a turkey sandwich and a pie people, and they couldnt do that without trouble....geez....a pastry and a sandwich really threw this cafe into a tailspin. But on the upside, the in house entertainment of watching the waitress run a wild chicken out of the cafe was fun..kinda.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Katie M
Dom M, Owner at Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Shucks! One would think we deserved 4 or 5 stars just for entertainment value. After all, will you ever forget the chicken chase? The hen got away, that's why there were no eggs for you ;-) Have a great day, Aloha.
Maui, Hawaii
“Bring back the old menu”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We used to love Ma'alaea General Store and told anyone we could tell to try them out, but they changed the menu and removed many of the best items (such as the turkey avo). We would love to be loyal customers again so please bring back the old menu.

Dom M, Owner at Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
I'm sorry you did not look at the menu closer as you would have seen we still have the Turkey, Avo, & Swiss sandwich. We always have had it. Now you have choices of bread; you can have whole wheat if you prefer.

We removed some items from the menu, but those that we still have are pretty much the same. The Deli had 50+ items on it before we eliminated the items that sold the least. Now there is less waste, and all the cooks know how to prepare and cook all the food. Overall, while we have less selection, everything is better.

You made a mistake. Perhaps you can look at the menu closely and reconsider your rating. Aloha.