“Pastry&Sandwich Fail”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Cute little cafe with outdoor seating was just the perfect choice for lunch, or so we thought. The menu stated that the breakfast grill was open until 2pm.. well apparently they dont keep eggs in stock until two, because you were denied any item off the menu with eggs. Okay, so not a big deal right? Well, after choosing a different option and deciding to spulrge for an expensive pastry, everything was fine. After handing my money over and paying, I was told that they didnt have anymore pastries for sale, the lady looked at me like I was suppose to do something about it. The lady at the counter apparently didnt know how to use the cash register, because a refund was out of the question. So instead, the lady offered to substitute the pastry for a individual pie, fine by me..until the lady informs me that there will a $2 price difference. Really?..After looking at her with the most dumbfounded face ever, she agreed that she would just give me the pie for what the pastry was worth...okay so after a little misadventure while ordering...the worst is when they dont know how to make a turkey sandwich that doesnt take 35 minutes to wait for or one with the correct bread choice and without dijon mustard..once my name was called and my lunch was ready, guess what was missing..the pie. Had to go remind the lady the full order, just so I could get what I paid for. The most flustered, disorganized cafe ever, they cant even get the simplest thing right..it was just a turkey sandwich and a pie people, and they couldnt do that without trouble....geez....a pastry and a sandwich really threw this cafe into a tailspin. But on the upside, the in house entertainment of watching the waitress run a wild chicken out of the cafe was fun..kinda.

1  Thank Katie M
Dom M, Owner at Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Shucks! One would think we deserved 4 or 5 stars just for entertainment value. After all, will you ever forget the chicken chase? The hen got away, that's why there were no eggs for you ;-) Have a great day, Aloha.

There are newer reviews for Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We used to love Ma'alaea General Store and told anyone we could tell to try them out, but they changed the menu and removed many of the best items (such as the turkey avo). We would love to be loyal customers again so please bring back the old menu.

Dom M, Owner at Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

I'm sorry you did not look at the menu closer as you would have seen we still have the Turkey, Avo, & Swiss sandwich. We always have had it. Now you have choices of bread; you can have whole wheat if you prefer.

We removed some items from the menu, but those that we still have are pretty much the same. The Deli had 50+ items on it before we eliminated the items that sold the least. Now there is less waste, and all the cooks know how to prepare and cook all the food. Overall, while we have less selection, everything is better.

You made a mistake. Perhaps you can look at the menu closely and reconsider your rating. Aloha.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I walked down from our rental condo and picked up a couple of sandwiches for the wife and I. The food was good, the prices in line with typical Maui prices and the service was great. I had called in the order and they were waiting for me when I got there. Give them a try.

1  Thank zeus_msp
Reviewed March 10, 2014

When I'm visiting anywhere that is near to the ocean I tend to go into fish-craving mode, and this place did not leave me disappointed. The fish taco is definitely worth the trip, as is almost everything else! Nice, large piece of grilled fish. Authentic Mexican flavours. Fresh salsa. Mmmm...I'm salivating just remembering it. We also had sweet potato fries with our order and they were the best I've had. Nice and crispy with a great flavour! There is no where to sit in the store, but they have tables set up outside overlooking the harbour and a nice covered seating area to the left of the store with ceiling fans to help keep you cool. It is decorated with local artwork (for sale) which added to the wonderful ambiance.

1  Thank evalew
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I received a tripadvisor notice, asking my favorite restaurant in Maalaea. Here it is again. Still my favorite in the area. The breads are homemade in store. There is often fresh ahi poke. The food off the grill is creative and good. Friendly staff, fabulous location (especially if one lives or vacations in Maalaea). When I'm called in to work overtime and don't have home food prepared to take, Maalaea General Store is where I go, for espresso and quick, fresh, tasty (ono) food!

1  Thank George M