“My wife and didn't find a great place”

Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe
Ranked #6 of 96 Restaurants in Wailuku
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Denver, Colorado
“My wife and didn't find a great place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

So maybe we expected great or at least very good. After all ranked #1 out of 67 we thought Ma'alaea General Store would be a wonderful stop from Kihei to Lahaina.

If this is #1 in the town, then stay in the car and head to Kihei to Lahaina.

I had the special - Hamburger with pineapple. The hamburger needed 3 more minutes on the grill as it was still raw on the inside. I ate the outer edge and the pineapple. My wife asked why for $11 I didn't get fries with the burger. As a note the grilled pineapple was good.

My wife had a turkey sandwich. It was OK. the turkey was moist and the bacon gave it good flavor. My wife shared so that was nice.

Sitting outside on the deck was interesting. The view is of the, road, a Coast Guard station, what appeared to be a mobile office building on a foundation, a parking area, and on the far left some boats. (not pretty).

If you are planning to stop and decide order a burger, ask to have the burger cooked through and through.

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
“Great Quesadilas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We had a great experience at the general store. The service is outstanding and we enjoyed the best fish Quesadilas we ever have tasted. Unfortunately, there isn't much of a view even though it is located close to the harbor but the food is worth a visit. We went twice for late lunch and we didn't stay in the area. Definitely worth a visit when you visit Maui.

Visited October 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Fantastic Restaurant!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

A friend of ours recommended that we stop there because of a killer B.L.T. sandwich, so we stopped in for lunch after going to the Ocean Center. Unfortunately, the B.L.T. is on there breakfast menu, and it was now 3:30. I looked and found the closest thing on the menu which I believe is called the Chicken Avo. Basically a BLT with chicken and avocado. It was incredible. My wife got the Rueben and it was also incredible. Even the fries were delicious. I easily could've had a plateful of the fries and would've been happy. My daughter had a bagel with almond butter and banana. They were very generous with the toppings. I have to admit, in all my trips to Hawaii, that was probably the best lunch we've ever had, and all we had was a sandwich and fries.

If you're planning to sit down and spend some time there, there is free WiFi, and the staff is very welcoming. If you don't have time to stay, or even get a meal, I suggest stopping just to get one of their homemade chocolate chip, bacon, pecan cookies. Soooooo good!!

We ended up driving there from Kaanapali again for lunch this trip, and we'll be back again.

• Visited October 2013
Port Orchard, Washington
“Good way to start your Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We own a Vacation Rental at Maalaea Banyans #314 and they open 6:00 am, So we like that it's just a short walk away and so worth the walk! They have the best Breakfast Sandwiches and Lattes. Right down on the harbor! The people that run the store are wonderful and make you feel right at home!

• Visited September 2013
San Leandro, California
“A Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

While on my Maui escape, a local friend recommended this place. The sandwiches were better than I've had anywhere for ages - maybe ever. Everything delicious and fresh. The staff was very friendly and obviously enjoying their work. We relaxed at one of the tables outside their front door - what a joy! No question I would return there on my next trip. Mahalo.

• Visited September 2013