“Unbeatable”
Review of Wailuku Guesthouse

Wailuku Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 4 Wailuku B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my second stay at the Wailuku Guesthouse and I would (and will!) absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for a comfortable and affordable place to stay on Maui with "old Hawaii" charm and UNBEATABLE hospitality. Maureen and Doug provided us with anything we might need (a helpful guidebook as well as some of their own local suggestions, beach towels & chairs, coolers, sunscreen, microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker, silverware & cutting board, a lovely pool-side grilling area, you NAME it). If you're looking for a manufactured, high-end resort type of island experience, this probably isn't the place for you, but if you're looking for a true taste of Maui, LOOK NO FURTHER- this is the place for you! Will be returning to the Wailuku Guesthouse for years to come.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a family or a group of 3 or more, definitely go for the Garden Ohana. R...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Aloha Maggie and Jason,

Just to let you know we treat all of our guests like they are repeats to the Wailuku Guesthouse. I'm so glad you had a good stay with us again. Small businesses are a tough thing these days and it's nice to hear that most people think we are getting it right. Yes, our rooms are not huge but they are clean and have the right stuff for making Maui a more affordable trip. It's nice to be able to cook a few meals out by the pool and relax and enjoy the calm around us. It's so often that we go on vacation to find that we need another vacation when we get back home. Hopefully you had plenty of rest time to just come and go as you pleased and didn't have to keep to a schedule. You've heard of the old saying "You're on Maui Time now" . Remember to call me before you come back so I can apply the frequent guest discount.

owner

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just returned from my 2nd trip to Wailuku Guesthouse and I can't say enough good things - clean accommodations (love the Wasabi Suite), beautiful grounds with exotic birds and tropical plants and an amazing salt water pool and waterfall, right in the heart of Wailuku town and centrally located to everything on the island. Maureen is truly the hostess with the mostess and I will be back to visit as often as I can get there :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Aloha Ms. Paula,

Yes a second visit within 6 months no less. Lucky you alright! I'm glad your second trip was relaxing and enjoyable. Our rooms are not real big but they do have the things you would like to have like refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, coolers, beach towels, boogie boards, sun umbrellas and an assortment of snorkel gear. Being 2 blocks from the heart of Old Wailuku Town making is an easy walk into town. We are right in the middle of things here on Maui. We are not on the beach our prices reflect that , however, one can get tp many areas all over the island without having to drive from one end to the other end. When I saw you were returning I was excited to accommodate you again. Now, I'll be looking for your third return.

The owner

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Wailuku Guesthouse is a great place and Maureen the Owner is very accomodating. I was in Wailuku on business and this place was within walking distance of all my meetings, etc. The Wasabi Room was like an efficiency apartment. Not a resort, but a great place to stay if you are on a modest budget.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed four nights in the Plantation Room of the Wailuku Guesthouse. For our needs and expectations, it was perfect. My wife was raised in the area and we come back for family business three or four times a year. We normally stay at the family house in Kahului, but as that was full, we needed other accommodations.

We were were looking for a clean, quiet room with a comfortable bed and suitable bathroom. We're not interested in the beach or sightseeing. We don't need a refrigerator, microwave, or TV. We prefer sleeping with the windows open over using an air conditioner. Wailuku Guesthouse was perfect for our needs. Maureen was very accommodating to our requests.

This is not the place to stay if you want the features that a resort has to offer. But if you are just looking for base from which to explore and enjoy Maui, i highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Qfufs
Reviewed August 20, 2013

the guesthouse was located in old Wailuku town and was just a walk away from little bistro's and local owned shops... was a perfect location between kihei and Lahaina beaches... The rooms cozy and quaint.. with a nice salt water pool on those hot days... I appreciated the host Maureen and her amazing bread made with fruit from her yard... if our looking for a small private economical room at a reasonable price the Wailuku house is the place to be

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2013

It is very hard to understand how this accommodation has obtained such good reviews on Trip Advisor. Yes, there are some plus points if you need beach towels, chairs or cool boxes, but the room allocated was cramped with small windows and no outlook to recommend. There was a small swimming pool, ok if you had nothing better to do, a smallish garden with a BBQ area and some caged parrots. Beautiful birds, but why keep then caged in such an enclosed space. There was a dog on the premises, never saw it but heard it often. The stairway to the room had an unpleasant smell, not sure if it was the dog. Moreover, the owner, Maureen, was away for the three days that we were there, during which time the room was not once serviced. We were travelling extensively around the Hawaiian islands and for the price, this was by far the worst place we stayed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Aloha,

First I'll address that I was away. My mother was nearly killed in a car accident in the Northern Illinois area and at 79 years old that was a very difficult time. Although Kim my maid, serviced your room on the second day with fresh towels and emptied your trash, checked on your coffee and such. We change the towels every other day as there are 2 hanging and 2 more under the sink. Beach towels are as often as you need. The stairway is old wood, the walls of the stairway were just recently painted. The pet dog has never been in any of the guestrooms or that stairway. Too many people have allergies. Our 40ft saltwater pool with waterfalls is quite a large pool certainly not small. That is out in our common area that also has 3 nice dining tables under beautifully made cabanas. Rain or shine you can stay dry and enjoy the view of the West Maui Mtns. There are also nice lounging chairs for an afternoon nap if you want. Some folks like to unwind and have a dip in the saltwater pool. We have lush gardens that include torch ginger, pink ginger, several types of Heliconia, banana trees, mango trees and lillikoi(passion fruit), Puakinikini, Plumeria, Aloe, Papaya and many many Ti plants. The aviary is large with well behaved macaws. They are my pets and they only know that aviary. It is hexagonal in shape with wire we brought in from England, it has the same pitch as our roof with copper flashing, and has all natural ironwood perches that we change all the time to give their feet and talons a different shape to feel. They talk nice and are pleasant. We are not in the country where they might be able to be trained to live in the wild but I don't know if they could. They come out daily when I feed them and clean out their aviary with the hose. I handle them and they are well fed and cared for. I'm glad you enjoyed your new pillow top mattress in the Plantation room. It has 2 windows that open wide one of which looks at Mt Haleakala and the other to the SW and a West Maui Mtn and neighborhood view. The rooms are not huge but in my 13 years at my Wailuku Guesthouse only a few people had negative things to say about the rooms. They are clean, have refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers, the Plantation room has a private bath with tub and shower. We are centrally located in old Wailuku Town which does take you out of the tourist traps and are only a few minutes drive to Maalaea Bay, Haycraft Beach and Sugar Beach to name a few with in 5-6 miles. Old Wailuku Town is walking distance from the Guesthouse where you will find a handful of great eateries and one of the best baristas on the island at the Old Wailuku Coffee Company.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My time in the Wailuku Guesthouse Plantation Room was lovely. It was quiet, very clean and peaceful. I have family in Wailuku so it's a perfect location for me but it's also a quick drive to beautiful beaches and other Maui delights. It's nice to stay in a real town, as opposed to a exclusively resort-based experience. Maureen is delightful and I was thrilled by her incredible fruit bread. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I loved the plantation room and the traditional Hawaiian quilt on the bed. This room was very quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Aloha,
I'm glad you enjoyed the Plantation room with its' new pillow top mattress. Hope it gave you a good nights sleep so you could spend plenty of time with your new grandson. Today I have apple bananas, lilikoi (passionfruit) and macadamia nuts of which I will be making some bread this afternoon. I use whatever I happen to have fresh that day. Our son was also very very happy with the donation that he added to his charity fund for Assistance Dogs of Hawaii. Formerly, Hawaii Canines for Independence. You will be receiving a mahalo letter from him next summer after he makes his annual donation. Hope you come back and stay with us this winter and leave wet foggy SF behind for a nice dose of natural vitamin D. Give me a call and you'll be eligible for the frequent guest discount of 10% off our website rack rates. Have a great day.

With aloha,
owner
The Wailuku Guesthouse

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
Lahaina Ocean's Edge
Lahaina Ocean's Edge
#4 of 11 in Lahaina
Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast

Been to Wailuku Guesthouse? Share your experiences!