Wailuku Guesthouse
Excellent 5/5
  • Beachfront
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
Lahaina Shores Beach Resort(Lahaina)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsplantation roombeach chairsboogie boardssnorkel gearcoffee makerguest houseevery other dayhomemade breadclose to the airportgas grillvery nice stayohana roomexploring the islandmini fridgeconvenient locationsized bedhighly recommend this place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 27, 2013

On our first trip to Maui I booked this place because it was close to the airport and we had a late flight in. It was easy to find and it was a lovely remodeled Hawiian style home. The grounds were nice and the owner/ manager Maureen was a delightful and helpful woman. Their son was cute and we had a conversation with him while he was out doing his chores by the pool. We had a small but clean room in the back by the pool. It was quiet there! Loved the quilt on the bed! And we had the pool pretty much all to ourselves. We found a nice coffe shop 2 blocks away that we walked to every morning for the 3 days we were there. It was also within walking distance of some good very reasonably priced restaurants. Some other things we enjoyed was they had some quiet parrotts in a cage in the yard and a sweet well behaved dog too! Maureen baked us some great banana bread one day and it was very homey! We felt very welcome. Only thing I could say not too good was the bed was a little hard for us but other than that it was centrally located so you could get to all the sights easy. We enjoyed the old Wailuku town and it was not as busy as other areas we stayed over our 3 week trip.

Room Tip: I think there pretty much the same but the pool area was nice! Some of the rooms I think are bigger but they were all booked.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cheri670
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I'm giving this a five star review based on this based on this being a family vacation versus a romantic getaway. My husband and I booked the Garden Ohana suite for ourselves, our 16 year old daughter, and my married daughter with son in law and baby. Maureen and her husband have succeeded in making this a charming, comfortable place to stay. Our room had plenty of books to peruse in our rare time away from the beach, the kitchenette was well equipped, there is a washer/dryer combo in the suite (they DO have a placard requesting a 5 dollar donation per load to their son's charity; this price is more than reasonable considering the moderate price of the accommodations and the current prices charged by a laundromat. Not to mention the inconvenience of having to GO to a laundromat!) there are beach chairs available for shore excursions, ice chests, boogie boards. Everything a family needs to go out and explore the island without having to pay a fortune for those extras: they really add up! We were glad to have extra money to spend on souvenirs! Maureen baked a batch of fabulous macadamia nut cookies and gave us a plateful on our second day there. They lasted about 60 seconds.
Why wouldn't I recommend this as a romantic getaway? The wall in our bedroom was a bit thin. I could literally hear every word the couples staying on the other side were saying. Fortunately all of the vacationers were very nice people so it was all mundane conversation but it wasn't just a murmur, literally every word. Other than that one thing we had a great time, the owners are wonderful people and we would definitely stay there again. We had a hard time leaving!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deborah D
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Aloha Family,

I'm very glad you were able to bring along your 16 year old daughter. The Garden Ohana is perfect for families. I'm also happy about the fact that Declan's charity is a nice thing. He has been working with Hawaii Canines for Independence since he was in first grade. This will be his 5th year. Sometimes kids think it's all about them and we are trying to instill in him that there are so many others that need so much. I'm glad to hear you all enjoyed your stay with us. By providing you all with coolers, beach chairs, boogie boards, snorkel gear, sun umbrellas and lots of beach towels you can still have the little things that make vacations even better with out the added expense. On the thin walls, that's part of the charm of a 1945 old wooden plantation style Hawaiian home. Looking forward to seeing you again with your family too.

Mahalo,
Owner of The Wailuku Guesthouse

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Excellent guesthouse in wailuku with easy access to all that maui has to offer,great rooms,we stayed in hibiscus and it had everything we needed,was lovely and spacious and clean,Maureen is a great host who will answer any questions,for anyone on a budget or who does not want to be in a huge hotel this is a ideal place,we highly recommend and if we are ever lucky enough to be able to return to maui we would definately stay here again.thanks Maureen and sorry we missed you before we left.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clarketravellers
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Aloha,

I also enjoyed talking with you funny folks from the UK. Enjoyed our little poolside parties when you returned from your day. But I think you all stayed in the Wasabi Suite didn't you? Well, any how I am glad we had guests happy as 2 clams in a shell. Hahahaha

With much Alohahahaa,
The Wailuku Guesthouse
Maui, Hawaii

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were in Wailuku in January 2013 with our toddler in the Wasabi room. Great studio with kitchen, great room size (we added a toddler bed), beach towels, all king of gear for swimming, snorkling... nice swimming pool area, great parrots! Maureen was always available for us even though she was away part of that week and was very professional and generous on dealing with a noise problems that we had on the first night.
Even though it is not on a beach, the location is actually very central and convenient wherever you want to go on the Island. The price is very fair compared to everything else you can find in Maui.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Aloha Friends,

We are so glad we could accommodate you and your family. Sorry for that first night when you had the noisy guest in the room next to you. Every couple of years a nuisance guest lands with us. Unfortunately I was in LA for 2 days and my house sitter did not manage the problem very well. I was happy to make things right when I returned. Glad you enjoyed our central location as well as our fun free stuff to use while you explore the island. Hope the birds were able to entertain your little boy.

With Aloha,
Wailuku Guesthouse
Maui, HI

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was my second stay at the Wailuku Guesthouse and it was very relaxing and quiet. Arguably the best place to stay in Central Maui. The Hibiscus room was a little small, but cozy and located near the pool.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Aloha,

We like to see our returning guests happy over and over and over again. Much Mahalo for the chance to accommodate you a second time.

With Aloha,