“LOVE THIS PLACE!”
Review of Porto - CLOSED

Porto
Cuisines: Pizza
Description: Our NamePorto is the Italian word for “port” or “harbor.” We are located at Ma’alaea Harbor on the beautiful Hawaiian island of Maui.Our MissionAt Porto, we are artisans in pursuit of perfection, working to serve you real food that’s delicious and healthy. We start with fresh, all-natural and authentic ingredients of extraordinary flavor. We source fresh herbs, vegetables and fruits from local farmers, choosing organic whenever available, to support sustainable local agriculture and to deliver the tantalizing flavors of our islands to your palate.Pizza With a PurposeWe’re proud to save whales, dolphins and the oceans, one pizza at a time. All profits from Porto support Pacific Whale Foundation’s efforts to protect our oceans through science and advocacy.Porto is Now Open for Lunch & Dinner10:00 am - 8:00 pm
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My Fav New Spot. Sooooo Gooood! Best Pizza On The Island. Great Prices Too! Maui Mushtoom Pizza And Home Made Chicken Meatball Pizza Was Off The Charts. A+++++

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Outside, at the entrance, there were tables and chairs that blocked the entrance. I can't see why the outdoor seating tables and chairs have to be arranged in that way.
On the tables outside, there were leftovers and dirt left by costumers that nobody thought to clean, not before we arrived and not during our meal there. We ate inside.
We entered the restaurant and waited to be seated. Nobody came to seat us. A frequent costumer told us we can seat ourselves wherever we want. Why don't they put a sign at the entrance saying that ?
We saw a free table, but when we approached we saw that it was dirty. We waited until it was cleaned. Then we waited that a server will come to us with the menus and then she came again with cold water.
In the restaurant there is absolutely no sign where the restroom is, WHY ?
My spouse ordered lemonade. He got half glass of ice and 1/3 glass of lemonade. He said to the server that for 3 Dollars he expects a full glass of cold lemonade, so she brought a pitcher and filled his glass after he ended the lemonade. She said that he can get refill, but nothing about that was written in the menu. If you don't know it and you don't ask, you pay 3 Dollars for 1/2 a glass of ice.
It took more than half an hour to get the sandwiches we ordered. They were very good.
During all our meal at that restaurant none of the servers even looked at us to see if we need anything and it took long to catch their attention and to ask for the check.
There were only 2 servers at the restaurant. They had to serve the costumers, to take orders for pizza by phone, to serve ready pizza to costumers that came to take them out, to serve costumers that came to make orders for take out food and to serve ready take out food. The owner saves salary money on the costumers time. We didn't come to Hawaii to spend our time on endless waiting for nothing in restaurants.

gregkaufman, Manager at Porto, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with our team at Porto. You have a very good eye for detail and we appreciate that you wrote down your thoughts so our team could benefit from them. We're following up on some of your ideas immediately. For example, the restroom sign has been ordered. Our servers will be sure to explain to guests (at the time they order) that we offer free refills of our homemade lemonade (made with local Maui lemons and sugar) and homemade iced tea.

We are sorry that you had a long wait for your sandwiches. When scheduling our staff, we consider past and recent "traffic flows" in our restaurant and plan accordingly for service staff. Even so, we sometimes get surprised when more customers than anticipated walk in the door. I am truly sorry that we were a bit short-staffed during your meal at Porto and that you had to wait to be seated and to get your food. It isn't fun to wait. We will do our best to schedule adequate staff.

Porto is owned by the nonprofit Pacific Whale Foundation; by dining with us you help raised funds for Pacific Whale Foundation's research, education and conservation programs to protect our oceans. Thank you again for your comments and for joining us.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

This place is A-mazing! It's clear that they love food and sharing good food with others. After a day at the beach we started with the bruschetta and beet salad, moved on to the pesto and hawaiian pizza, and ended with the blueberry cheesecake all coupled with this amazing coffee stout recommended by our waitress. Everything was simply divine with clearly fresh ingredients, the pesto tasted as though it was made that afternoon and the salad as though the veggies had been picked that morning. Not to mention these guys pay an amazing attention to flavor. I have never been a fan of "hawaiian pizza" and I realize it's because it should NEVER be made with canadian bacon, only slow roasted pork. I don't know where the blueberries came from for the cheesecake but it was as if they were fermented on the vine, bursting with flavor and depth. The staff is super friendly and more than willing to share their secrets to great food. I would definitely recommend a stop here if you're on the island of Maui.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

After visiting the aquarium (which itself is a must see) we were looking to eat, and expecting outrageous prices that are common in Hawaii. Just prior to letting our smart phone/Google advise us on where to eat, while we strolled, we stumbled into this beautiful little restaurant just around the aquarium in the corner mall, (although not readily seen as it is located in the hidden back).

Great selection of unusual Pizzas, Salads and appetizers, nice quiet, pleasantly decorated (mildly artsy) place, that claims to be contributing to saving whales (not serve whales!).
We were lucky to come across a helpful, non forceful/non rushed/non pushy waitress.

Prices were $4 to $20. (Likely to go up as +ve reviews pour in)
No interest in Alcohol - so I tried Seagram's Sparkling Seltzer water - Blackberry flavor ($2) which complemented my delicious thin crust pizza very well.

I would go to this place even if I was not visiting the Aquarium, just to eat, away from the usual Tourist hustle Bustle and expensive restaurants in Lahaina where you are likely to get stuck everyday while you are in Maui.

After coming back I checked their web page at portomaui.com

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Friendly staff, cozy place, awesome pizza. If I start thinking about it too much I start to salivate. I wish I could keep this place in my pocket and take it out every time I get hungry.