“Beatiful view, cheap!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wailuku
Waianapanapa State Park Cabins
Minneapolis, MN
“Beatiful view, cheap!”
Reviewed March 29, 2007

The cabins were very peaceful and had a great view. They are not the hotels you will find in Wailea or Lahaina at all, but they are a great place to just relax and save some money. We stayed in cabin 4 and it has a great view of the ocean. Cabin 3 would be my second choice if 4 wasn't available. The cabins are a little outdated and dingy, but offer everything basic. I would suggest to bring your own bed sheet and pillow. We spent almost all the time we were at the cabin on the porch since it had such a great view of the ocean. Expect geckos and bugs to be inside the cabin. There is quite a bit to do in that area if you are the adventurous type. The King's Highway is awesome, but only people in good shape should walk the whole way to Hana and back and definitely wear good shoes or hiking boots. The path is about 3 miles on rough, jagged lava and offers great views of the coastline. The beach at the state park can often times be to rough to swim at, but there are other swimming beaches by Hana. Our only complaint about the cabin is that we should have of booked it more than 2 nights!

• Liked — It was quiet and remote unlike some of the other areas of Maui.
  • Disliked — Limit on nights you can stay.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank KristinNicole

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ontario, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2007

I stayed at the cabins in 2000, and December 2006. Its a gorgeous, private, quiet location, away from the hustle and cities. We loved picking papaya and coconuts, walking the trails and the black sand beach. I loved the visiting ferral cats that I feed everyday.

But I was getting more and more grossed out. I would recommend bringing your own sheets, blankets and pillows. I would think about leaving them, as a donation, since the ones we had were next to rags, had stains, and holes, though they were clean. The matresses were bad, and If I ever go again I am bringing my aerobed air matress. The kitchen ware was old and dingy, and we used aluminum pans and paper plates to cook and eat from. If I were the maintainance crew for the cabins. I would install a drainage at the lowest point in the floor and power wash everyhting letting it drain out. I would consider getting local builders or tradmen/painters to build improvements and having them stay for free. Or entice the boy and girl scouts to paint and scrap. Steam clean it, and remove the lose linoleum tile floors. I wanted my trip to be casual, and a get away without spending a fortune. Just wish it was way cleaner!!!

• Liked — remote, quiet getaway
  • Disliked — dirty, dingy, needs a deep cleanup/painting, and new floor.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank claybaby

Travelers are raving about these Wailuku hotels

ohio
Reviewed February 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at the cabin(we were originally going to stay 2 nights). The location is fantastic the cabin is right on the coast. The black sand beach and coastline are incredibly beautiful. However, the cabin was in dire need of updates. The beds were rickety and the mattresses basically falling apart. Luckily we had are own sleeping bags which we threw on the beds to sleep on instead of the threadbare sheets and smelly comforters. I have to say though the cabin was clean and at $45 a night on the coast in Maui it is quite a steal. But it is a shame the park service doesn't spend a bit of money to update the cabins and make them more inhabitable. I'm sure they could charge a bit more and have them booked year around. We were there during the busy season and only a few of the cabins were being used. I would recommend camping at the park for $5 a tent would be a alot nicer! Just a warning there are alot of mongoose around the park and they were scavenging around the outside of our cabin in the middle of the night making noises which were a bit unsettling until we figured out what it was.

Stayed January 2007
9 Thank ali&bill
Sunny Okanagan
Reviewed January 14, 2007

My husband, 3 daughters and I have stayed in the cabins numerous times, and have introduced many friends to Waianapanapa. We camped regularly at home in British Columbia when the girls were younger, and plan to take the grandkids when and if that happens. If you don't expect the Hilton, you won't be disappointed. Take a bottle of Javex and give your cabin a bit of a cleaning (the cabins are checked by staff before renters move in, but are really only as clean as the person before you leaves it) and it is awesome. The best site-seeing, hiking and beaches on Maui. The cabins are basic and starting to show their age but really, how much time do you spend in your room? Take a deck of cards, a game or two and a few good books and it's the most relaxing holiday ever! Make sure you stop at Costco before you head out to Hana to do all of your grocery shopping, and don't forget the bug goop. Have fun. P.S. it's a good idea not to park under the coconut trees. The coconuts have a tendency to break windshields.

• Liked — That I had the camping feel but with electricity, toilet and hot shower
  • Disliked — The cabins are needing a fresh coat of paint
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a bottle of Javex
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with family
6 Thank Penticton_BC
Washington
Reviewed January 12, 2007

My family stayed in one of the cabins for three nights in December. The cabin was disappointing. They are very much in need of maintainance, very run down. And dirty. I don't mind basic, but dirty is hard to take. But the location is great, beautiful park to be able to stay in. Plumeria tree and coconut palm trees next to our cabin, surrounded by lush jungle. Mongooses a plenty! Being in Hana for 3 nights was a relaxing way to start a 2 week visit to Maui.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — run down and dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — If you know what you are getting into, you know what to expect, expect dirty conditions!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank highseaswashington
South Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2006

My husband and I had the misfortune of staying here and it was really creepy. We are campers and I wasn't expecting much, but I would have been happier staying in my tent, because then you could zip up and know that nothing could get in. Some bugs chewed the window and door frames and it made the wood look like fiberglass (it must have been the same bugs that chewed/tore through the box springs. I pulled the beds away from the wall because it just felt safer and when I went to make the beds realized that I had bed linnens for only one, oh well, campers are adaptable, we just shared the top and bottom sheets and each had a blanket. We even were able to use the kitchen towel for a wash cloth and had a bath towel to share.

We enjoyed a warm shower after we removed the dead bugs from the shower floor, but I couldn't bring myself to use the toilet brush.

There was some rusty appliance with in the kitchen that had a hole in the front that we think we identified as a hot water heater.
The light fixture above the sink was a rusty exposed bulb.

All that could have been overlooked had the park care taker not been such an unfriendly soul. It is a shame that the representative of such a beautiful isn't very kind. It is amazing how far a smile or even a nod goes. It would be wonderful if advice as to what sights could be viewed etc, were given.

I would recommend visiting this park for maybe an hour or so then getting in your car and leaving as soon as possible.

• Liked — black sand beach
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — do nott come
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16 Thank carolinaldy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2006

This was our favorite place that we stayed on Maui. Located a few miles outside of Hana, these cabins offer spectacular views and a fairly secluded setting. There is a black sand beach, caves, blowholes, and a coastal trail walking distance from all the cabins. The cabins themselves are very basic but fully equipped with full bathrooms and kitchens. Bedding is provided, but you need to bring your own pillows. They are a bit run down, but the location definately makes up for this. We loved staying here. But if you're expecting luxury, think again. Overall, a great bargain at only $45 per night

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Wailuku Guesthouse
Wailuku Guesthouse
#2 of 4 in Wailuku

Been to Waianapanapa State Park Cabins? Share your experiences!