“What a deal...didnt want to go back to California”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wailuku
Waianapanapa State Park Cabins
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My first visit to Maui and Hana...had a blast....went with a local so I didnt have to drive the Hana Highway
The cabin was like a girl scout cabin with hot running what so after a day snorkling it was very nice
Wasnt used to sleeping on a twin bed but was better than sleeping on the ground in a tent and getting wet when it rained
Leaving the windows open so you could here the waves crash on the cliffs was awsome
Being able to cook meals and not having to by fast food was great too
Fishing off the lava forms was great...although didnt catch anything but a small crab
was very relaxing
Lots of visitors have complained about the cabins...they are clean...old...and very rustic...but think of the money you saved staying in a nice quite place
Not having to pay for a pricey noisey hotel room
I am no back in California saving for my next trip to Hana ...cant wait

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bugnbus

Reviewed August 17, 2008

We drove to Hana and stopped at this beach. It was so beautiful. Black rocks, blue ocean and green trees. It's like something out of a dream. Stop by if you are in Maui.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed March 6, 2008

My husband (37) and I (31) were staying in Kihei for a week, and we wanted to stay somewhere near Hana so we wouldn't have to do the "Drive to Hana" and back in one day. I'd done it once before and I didn't want to do it again. I had seen the cabins on my last trip through Waianapanapa State Park, so I called them up about 3 weeks before our travel date, and they had one available. Super, they are only $45 a night! We booked and stayed in Cabin #1 (Ocean View side)

I had seen them in person, plus the inside pictures from other travelers, so I knew exactally what I was getting into. I knew they were pretty crusty and to bring our own linens, etc...

So when we arrived, it wasn't a shock, or anything other than what I expected, but it was kind of depressing. You kinda got that feel that you were in some slasher horror movie...haha. It kinda changed our whole moods. Maybe if it wasn't just the two of us, if we had a few other friends it would have been okay. We could have played cards, or games and entertain eachother. Definately not the place to do for a honeymoon or anniversary. Climbing into "bed" is the last thing on your mind.

We pushed the two twin beds in the front room together, and put the sheets and sleeping bags we brought on top. I forgot pillows, so we used our towels. The beds are pretty disgusting, really. We had to down a few bottle of wine before we could see sleeping on them.

After a ROUGH night sleeping, the rooster woke us at about 5am. He was right out the window, that you can't really close. So, reluctantly, we got up.

What a blessing!! We got out and went down to the caves, and the beach and the blowhole, and we had the ENTIRE park to ourselves for HOURS!! It was absolutely AMAZING!! We took lots of video and had NO ONE else in the background!!

So, all of that gross cabin was way worth it in the end!
I can't say I'd ever stay there again...I'd probably rather bring my tent and stay as they have camping too.

After further discussion with my husband, we decided next time we'll stay at a hotel in Hana, not because we're not into roughing it, because we are major campers at home In CA, but simply because we're on vacation, and don't want to have to "rough it" here.

Note: If you do stay, make sure it's at least on the ocean side...

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sara R
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We stayed for two nights at the Waianapanapa State Park in Cabin #4. We requested that cabin based on other reviews. There are 12 cabins in the State Park, 1 through 6 facing the ocean 7 through 12 in the woods. The cabin was very rustic, but functional. We brought with us mattress covers, sleeping bags and our own pillows. We did not see any bugs or lizards in our cabin, which surprised us. It was very clean. It rained both days we were there. On the first evening several cats congregated on the lanai (porch for us old fashioned people). Not being cat people, we stayed in side that night. That first evening the electricity went out while we were eating, but we had flash lights and head lamps handy, so no big deal. The lights only stayed off for about 5 minutes before coming back on.

The layout of the cabin was one big room with the door to the lanai, kitchen area, dining area and two beds. There was a smaller bedroom with two bunk beds down the hall by the main door to the cabin with the bathroom right across the hall. There was not a bulb in the light fixture in the bedroom, so we used that room for storage and slept in the big room. The majority of windows had louvers in them, but you could not move them from whatever position they were in. Being experienced campers none of that bothered us.

The appliances worked well and there was cookware, silverware, dishes and glasses. Those were only as clean as the last person left them. In our case, they were clean enough to use without worrying about them. The refrigerator was very rusty on the outside, but was clean inside and kept everything cold. This is a full sized refrigerator with freezer on the top. Each day we would use plastic glasses we brought and extra glasses they had to make ice blocks for our cooler, so we never had to purchase ice while we were there.

The bathroom was smaller, but functional. Much to our surprise, the shower was strong and hot. Both of us were able to take showers back to back, without running out of hot water. That is definitely a plus when staying in a cabin.

The Park itself is beautiful. There is a black sand beach, caves and hiking trails. In the beach area there is a blow hole that a lot of people go to, but we found a much nicer one just down from our cabin area. We did start the trail that goes into Hana, but after hiking it about half way turned around due to the rain. It was a very scenic hike, not overly difficult, but worth the effort.

I would definitely recommend the cabins to anyone who is experienced to these conditions or anyone who is looking for an adventure. If you need the amenities of resort living or a squeamish with the out of doors, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Clown_Guy
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Waianapanapa State Park is one of the most beautiful places in the world. You will never see as many shades of green anywhere else. The greens contrast with the jet black lava and the various shades of blue ocean, making the views here absolutely spectacular! Do stay. Do not rush in on your way back on the Hana Highway. You will miss one of the best spots on all of Maui. The cabins are great! They are the best-kept secret on Maui. Yes, they could use paint jobs and some need new flooring, but they are clean, spacious, have electricity, full-sized refrigerators, nice-sized lanais, all with views of the ocean. Each also have huge picture windows, giving occupants very nice views. They supply the linens, but I bring my own. Each cabin has 6 twin beds, bathrooms with showers and flush toilets, chairs, a dining table, electric stove top (no oven,) and a fire pit/bar-b-que area outside. Give Lois in the State Parks Department office a call for your reservation. She could not be nicer. The Black Sand Beach is lovely, too. Sometimes it is too rough for swimming, but it is often very calm, as well. Go in the winter and watch the wales jump and play in the surf. Oh yes, and if you happen upon a rainy week, don't despair - go out to enjoy all of the waterfalls on the Hana highway! There are some well-groomed, easy hiking trails all along the coast in the park. Do your hiking in the morning, as the lava soaks up the sun's heat and it will feel like you are walking in a bar-b-que pit if you are out there in the middle of the day. Besides the park, there is almost nothing else to do, so go to relax and enjoy old Hawaii.

5  Thank MyMauiBoston
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We stayed in cabin 12. I was a bit fearful of going to the cabin with all the other reviews, but I was very much pleasantly surprised because I found the cabin to be clean, and it had the necessary items such as towels, blankets, sheets, cooking utensils...I totally enjoyed myself...it was peaceful, quiet, very intimate to take a stroll or hang out at the cabin and have a stimulating conversation. I would recommend to my family and friends!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank hapagirl
Reviewed March 29, 2007

The cabins were very peaceful and had a great view. They are not the hotels you will find in Wailea or Lahaina at all, but they are a great place to just relax and save some money. We stayed in cabin 4 and it has a great view of the ocean. Cabin 3 would be my second choice if 4 wasn't available. The cabins are a little outdated and dingy, but offer everything basic. I would suggest to bring your own bed sheet and pillow. We spent almost all the time we were at the cabin on the porch since it had such a great view of the ocean. Expect geckos and bugs to be inside the cabin. There is quite a bit to do in that area if you are the adventurous type. The King's Highway is awesome, but only people in good shape should walk the whole way to Hana and back and definitely wear good shoes or hiking boots. The path is about 3 miles on rough, jagged lava and offers great views of the coastline. The beach at the state park can often times be to rough to swim at, but there are other swimming beaches by Hana. Our only complaint about the cabin is that we should have of booked it more than 2 nights!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank KristinNicole
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#3 of 6 in Paia
Hana Oceanfront Cottages

Been to Waianapanapa State Park Cabins? Share your experiences!