“Not the most pleasant camping experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wailuku
Waianapanapa State Park Cabins
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The campgound itself is nice, the black sands beach just a few steps away and the sight is amazing. But the restrooms smell gross and they seem to limit the amount of toilet paper, the outdoor shower works but that's it and the caretaker is the unfriendliest person I've met in Hawaii so far! The office is always closed and instead you find heaps of signs telling you what to do and what not to. And they are really unflexible about the permit print outs. So do not even think about showing them the PDF on your mobile phone for they somehow cannot live without a piece of paper... welcome to the 21st century!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank dukesgr783wg

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Wow! First off, this is an incredible deal at $90 per night. I wondered about it when booking since there were some really negative reviews here, but I found the cabin to be clean and better than tent camping. It's even got a microwave. It was the perfect place to stay on our adventure to Hana. Having the park to ourselves in the evening & at sunrise was great. We only had 2 people but the cabin was very roomy for larger parties. From our deck we could see through the trees to the ocean. It was just wonderfule there at the cabins. If we had more time in Maui, I would have loved to stay there longer. My only advice - DON'T FORGET TO PRINT YOUR PERMIT B/C IT HAS THE LOCK ACCESS CODE AND INTERNET IN THIS AREA IS ALMOST NONEXISTENT.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Veronica M
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It is a very spectacular experience if you're nature fan!! The views of the stars were such a great view when you'd cook your BBQ, or toast your marshmallows! My family and I got up to see the amazing sunrise and have the beautiful black sand beach to ourselves. The park there also has the best landscapes when hiking so it's very refreshing breathing in the fresh air there. I highly recommend you stay here if your a true nature fan that doesn't mind bugs or cabins that are pretty old. Bring many of your accommodations such as pillows, blankets, personal items, and food. If you decide to stay, stay more than 2 days, since Hana has many beautiful beaches as well! .To get in the cabin instead of using keys, the cabin's door has a code which can be unlocked when you rent it, you'll have to print out a receipt of your reservation yourself in order to enter the cabin and get the code. Good luck!

Room Tip: Don't stay at cabin 7, 8, or 12 since it has no views of the beach! I recommend you rent cabins...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Troya50
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We just stayed in cabin #8 with our 4 kids. We had a wonderful 3 night vacation. I expected the cabin to not be the Ritz, but it impressed me. It was clean and dry. A huge upgrade from tent camping. We have a 7 year old, 4 year old and 8 month old twins. Our space had a backyard type grassy area. So the kids could stay around the cabin and be safe. Very quiet in the cabin area too. The amenities in the cabin are basic or in poor condition but worked for us. The frig and microwave were great. I just made a bunch of food at home and warmed it up. We cooked dinner but the hot plate really sucks. We borrowed a propane stove to cook our meat. The pots and pans are bad as well. There are plates and cups that work though. We brought our own utensils, cutting board and knives. There is a BBQ pit in back for roasting marshmallows. The bathroom was great with a hot shower after playing in the water all day. The beds were decent and comfortable, better than an airmattress. Bring sheets and pillows and towels. The lanai has a picnic table with a partial ocean view. Lots of bugs and mosquitos out but if you keep the doors closed it was fine. We were so satisfied we want to make it a yearly trip with lots of friend and families. Easy to walk around the park and go on little trips with the kids.

Room Tip: #8 is great for little kids, safe off road but no ravine in the back. The cabins at end #11 and 12...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed January 23, 2012

VERY BEST! I have been camping with my family here 3 times and every time is better than the one before. I highly recommend this if you are on a family or couples vacationand have friends on island that you can borrow linens, kitchen basics and cleaning supplies from.
Here's the deal-This is a State run facility that has only TWO caretakers that are responsible for cabins, "tenters" and grounds. They are friendly...if you are. Show up on time too for bonus points. The new camping permits actually have the entry code for your cabin on it so your interaction with the caretakers is minimum anyhow. There are 6 beds, 2 twins in the main room that is connected to the kitchen, and 2 bunk beds in the bedroom. I recommend sleeping bags. Because every cabin is to be cleaned after the last tenant left, the condition of your cabin may not be stellar but I have always just swept, Lysol wiped and lit some Citronellas and that place is good to go. Bring pots and pans. There is a grill in the back but its more of a fire pit.
The actual park itself is crazy beautiful. Lots of walks (for the younguns) and hikes (for the adults). The tree forest near the blowhole looks like an alien landscape and the beautiful cliff side scenery reminds me of Lost.
This is camping. Make the most out of Mother Nature!

Room Tip: The cabins at the end of the road are nice if you have children playing outside. There is vitually...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank PrimaJohna808
Reviewed October 15, 2011

My family and I booked cabin #1 for two days based upon a recommendation of a relative.
We got there about 1pm and had to track down the caretaker. After twenty minutes we found him. It was not the freindliest of welcomes. We got to the cabin and it was a shack. One side only had a srceen door on it. A strong musty or moldy smell was present. Spider webs were everywhere. Some animals made there den under the cabin and were sqeeling all night,
After driving the road to Hana I was tired and there is not a lot of other places to stay for the night. I thought will try it for the night. This was a bad mistake.The smell got to my daughter who has allergies. None of us got much sleep with her coughing most of the night.
We decided to leave the next morning. I left a note with the key at the caretaker's office.
I asked for my money back for the second day. I have heard nothing from them since and wrote another e-mail to them yesterday.
I hope you stay someone else.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
12  Thank JINCHGO
Reviewed October 7, 2011

So, get your camping permits for Maui at https://camping.ehawaii.gov/camping/all,c-search.html#tab-4 before you travel!

This particular campsite is perfect; outside shower, grassed/soft areas to pitch your tent; quite weeknights and a bit busier during weekends when the locals are there. Great place to buy some fresh Maui beef at the Hana Ranch and then cook away on your camping style stove! The stars at night were very bright and the morning sunrise was exhilarating. The black sand beach is right below the campsite. The caretakers are up every morning before sunrise to sweep the leaves away from the paths to make it safe and presentable. The toilets were clean and there was always TP available. I could have stayed longer if allowable, but unfortunately there is a 3 night maximum camp/month here.

Will I stay here again? Absolutely; fabulous time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank Laurel D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Northshore Hostel Maui
Northshore Hostel Maui
#1 of 9 in Wailuku
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Waianapanapa State Park Cabins? Share your experiences!