“Friendly, convenient, inexpensive”

Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I love the Northshore Hostel. My boyfriend and I stayed there for our first three days while we were looking for housing on Maui and I stayed there a couple of nights ago for work. The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating and the guests are always polite and personable. Free coffee and pancakes in the morning is a great perk!

• Stayed: October 2013
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Mahalo Rebecca, thanks for your kind review and best of luck to you!

There are newer reviews for Northshore Hostel Maui

Reviewed October 3, 2013

During my stay I have met a lot of great people and friends, now. We went together for snorkling, street festival, festival at little beach and enjoyed the evening in the living room. Even if you travel alone like me, you are not alone when you decide to stay in this hostel. :) Was the best time I had in this hostel. The Staff was cool, helpfully and made the stay perfect and safe. If you need to find anything, they know where and how to get there.
Maui, oh man, so much great spots for snorkling, swimming, places to eat, have partys,.....
You should visit this island. I can not describe how amazing it was. I come again for sure and I know already where to stay ;)

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which room, you always sleep well and the people who are staying there are really...

Mahalo Wowi!!!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Clean, comfortable. friendly and super helpful. Thank you! I got a private room and the experience was WAY better than some hotel would have been. They ckecked me in early after I had no sleep on the flight. Free pancakes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind words, we're happy to help our guests enjoy their visit to Maui! Aloha....

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Had a great time at this hostel. Was visiting for the weekend in order to run the Maui Marathon. People there were great (both the employees and the guests). Two of us staying were running and everyone was really supportive.
There is a shuttle from the airport which was great. The location itself is good: close to shops and the bus, but far enough away from the main roads to be peaceful. They know the local area well and can advise things to do (both the well known attractions and off the beaten track trails).
Definitely recommend it and will stay there again if I head that way.

Room Tip: Got myself a single. Good idea if you are looking for a nice quiet sleep (like with any hostel)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Mahalo Michelle, we're happy that you stayed with us during your marathon visit and congratulations too!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

From the zillions of hostels I have frequented over many years, Northshore Hostel in Maui is one of the best. The people who run it put a ton of love into their work. I spent a fair amount at the hostel and just watching their commitment, attention to detail, etc... was amazing. It is super safe, clean, fun and the atmosphere is the best. I cant recommend it highly enough. It is situated in a lovely corner of maui, close to almost anywhere, away from the tack-o-rama that prevails in the cookie-cutter, honeymoon / retirement corners (e.g. Kihei). A big thank to Janine, Scott, Kevin and Michael. Keep up the amazing work. The only thing I really hope - for the years to come is that you will get rid of your A/Cs and upgrade your washing facilities to include an outdoor washing line and more efficient washers. I am sure your business will grow as the words spread. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: booking a private room seems good value (i stayed in a dorm because that was good enough for me).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear Nicholas, Mahalo Nui Loa! Thank you very much for your kind words and recognition...we appreciate having the greatest guests in the world! A Hui Hoa!!!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Pros: Airport shuttle pickup, Daily morning drop off at one of the beaches or Iao Valley, free coffee, free pancake mix to use to make pancakes for breakfast A binder with useful information about nearby attractions, or directions to get to popular attractions. Free phone calls, including international during the ofice hours. Clean Bathrooms.

Cons: Check-in closes between 2pm-5pm, and if you arrive between those times because of your flight, you will have a bit of waiting to do. If you wake up late, there may be a lineup for shower.

The lounge area has a big flat screen tv and kitchen, great to chat to some fellow travelers. quiet hours are respected at 10pm. If you want to socialize beyond 10pm, or like to drink alot or stay up late, this place is not for you, and you're better off going to the other hostel one block up the street.

I was happy with this hostel because I wanted to make the most of my time in Maui and they offered valuable advice. This is a great hostel if you want a hub for day trips because it's central.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Mahalo Agent 226, thanks for your review... FYI, yes we take a much deserved siesta between 2-5PM, but we arrange for guests arriving during that time to access their rooms! We aren't a party hostel, just a great one...thanks for staying with us...aloha!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very nice Hostel. I felt safe, the place was clean, and there was infinite free coffee and free pancakes in the morning. The local fruit on Maui is amazing, and combines perfectly with pancake batter. I would and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Reserve in advance to get a good room, they are listed on the website.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thanks Max...you were a great guest and we hope to see you again soon...a hui hoa!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
#33 of 43 in Lahaina
Aston at the Maui Banyan

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!