“A personal experience that no 5 star could do”

Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the North Shore Hostel for 23 days, while exploring Maui. The staff treated you less like a guest and more like a member of their own family. The knowledge they had of the island was more than enough to keep me entertained throughout the entire trip.
Scott, Janine and Chris are some of the best people I ever met in all my hostel stays (11 to date), they were very attentive to everyone's needs and all have an awesome sense of humor.
I stayed in one of the many dorm rooms with a group of awesome people and made some life long friends along the way. The dorm beds were comfortable, the rooms have AC units and they have an awesome kitchen, that have free pancakes, coffee and tea in the morning. There is no swimming pool or fitness center, but who needs one with all the beaches and hiking trails?
The surrounding town has most of the amenities that you need: gas station, drug store, coffee shop, nice eatery down the road and even a local pub.
When I return to Maui, I will most definetly be returning to see these great people. If I don't, I'm sure Janine would probably kill me.

Room Tip: Get the dorms, you can talk to a bunch of awesome people and make good friends!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert Z
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thanks for your wonderful description, we couldn't say it any better. We hope that you return to say hello again soon...a hui hoa!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Nice and friendly staff clean rooms. A bit overpriced for what you got and where it was located. I guess That's Maui. Not smoker friendly forcing smokers to cross the road and smoke in a dingy and dodgy car park with junkies and crazy's was a bit worrying especially at night but again I noticed all over Maui smokers were treated like 2nd class citizens. In summary good hostel bad location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Anthony
Sorry you had a bad time...we do ask that guests smoke across the street...it's actually a law in Hawaii that smokers cannot be within 7 meters (20 feet) of any business entrance. And we are still the lowest priced hostel in Maui....happy trails!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hostel is just perfect for travelers looking for all the comforts of home when staying in Maui at a fraction of the cost. We were on our honeymoon so we got the private room which had a nice cozy bed with privacy blinds and curtains plus AC and a ceiling fan. It was very warm when we were there and we didn't even use the AC but turned it on fan only at night for white noise from the traffic outside. There is a great little street in walking distance with great shopping and dining including a Subway , tattoo shop, and a massage parlor that I recommend. Safe parking across the street and short drive to the airport and beach. 24hr gas station down the street too. The bathrooms are shared but updated and kept spotless. we always had hot water and never had to wait as there are 4 bathrooms with showers. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the balcony has a great view of the mountains and plenty of free coffee and pancakes in the Kitchen. This place is great. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: private rooms by the balcony are just as nice as a high priced hotel with ac and and a view of parki...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thanks for your excellent description....I want to use your review in our marketing material! Mahalo for your visit and Aloha!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'm not a huge hosteling person, I've stayed in a few here and there. I think everyone knows your experience at a hostel in Europe is going to be much better than one in the US. This hostel is no exception. The staff was super friendly and very helpful with local information. I actually stayed at 3 of the hostels on Maui and this was by far the best one. If your not familiar with Maui you should know that the location of this hostel is in Town and will be the farthest away from the beaches an several of the attractions so you will definitely want to have a car. There's several bathrooms, and a kitchen for use shared use, but I can't speak to how convenient it is, since I was only there to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Thanks for rating us the top Maui hostel....we work hard to be the best and please our guests...happy trails!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hostel is centrally located in Wailuku and easy to get to from the airport. Clean rooms and bathrooms as well and a great common area to hang out in. The guys working there are friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again, one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks Tim, we hope you do choose to stay with us again, we appreciate our guests!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My friend from Hawaii recommended it. I called them and booked a dorm room for one night. Staff was very friendly. The place had everything what I needed. I don't know what else to say so I can have at least 200 words so that my review can go through. I liked the place. It was my first experience in a hostel. It went great.

• Stayed: April 2013

Please thank your friend for recommending us to you....mahalo!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

It's a really nice hostel, clean, friendly...We feel like a family in there.
People are very friendly, the kitchen is very clean, and it's the same for the bathroom.
You have free airport shuttle.
The hostel are very quiet, maybe too quiet but it's okay.
You have to take the bus to visit a lot of places. But in Wailuku there is a mall which is not so far from the hostel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Merci Stephanie for your visit and bon voyage!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
#32 of 43 in Lahaina
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!