“Friendly Staff!”

Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I'm not a huge hosteling person, I've stayed in a few here and there. I think everyone knows your experience at a hostel in Europe is going to be much better than one in the US. This hostel is no exception. The staff was super friendly and very helpful with local information. I actually stayed at 3 of the hostels on Maui and this was by far the best one. If your not familiar with Maui you should know that the location of this hostel is in Town and will be the farthest away from the beaches an several of the attractions so you will definitely want to have a car. There's several bathrooms, and a kitchen for use shared use, but I can't speak to how convenient it is, since I was only there to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thanks for rating us the top Maui hostel....we work hard to be the best and please our guests...happy trails!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hostel is centrally located in Wailuku and easy to get to from the airport. Clean rooms and bathrooms as well and a great common area to hang out in. The guys working there are friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again, one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks Tim, we hope you do choose to stay with us again, we appreciate our guests!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My friend from Hawaii recommended it. I called them and booked a dorm room for one night. Staff was very friendly. The place had everything what I needed. I don't know what else to say so I can have at least 200 words so that my review can go through. I liked the place. It was my first experience in a hostel. It went great.

• Stayed: April 2013

Please thank your friend for recommending us to you....mahalo!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

It's a really nice hostel, clean, friendly...We feel like a family in there.
People are very friendly, the kitchen is very clean, and it's the same for the bathroom.
You have free airport shuttle.
The hostel are very quiet, maybe too quiet but it's okay.
You have to take the bus to visit a lot of places. But in Wailuku there is a mall which is not so far from the hostel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Merci Stephanie for your visit and bon voyage!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed in this Hostel for 30 days in January '13, took the special monthly rate for more or less 620$ after taxes, cannot remember. I stayed at many hostel around the globe, but this was definitely the cleanest I've seen.
It is also very quite in the hostel, staff members care strictly to follow quite hours after 10pm.

If you are in your twenties like me , there will be not a lot of other guests your age, but you can simply walk to the banana bungalow hostel 3 mins down the road to hang out there.
The banana bungalow is a big party hostel, I could never stay there, because it was dirty and loud as hell, but its perfect to hang out there every night, have some drinks and some parties, and meet nice people, banana also offers free beers on fridays and daily tours for free, and you can just join them, they would never know who is actually their guest or not, at least that's how I did it.
Ofcourse guest at the northshore are also super cool, but most of them were older than me , in their thirties or forties.
Back in the northshore you have your peace again. There is coffee and pancakes for breakfast, which is ok I think, the staff members are all really nice and helpful, they gave me rides to the airport in the morning from where we could hitchhike to the surf spots, people on Maui are really friendly, it never took us more than 5-10 mins to get a lift.
The northshore offers daily rides to the airport beach, what is really helpful, as taking the bus is not always easy, they will also pick you up from the airport when you arrive and bring you there again when you leave.
If you want to stay in a dorm, I would recommend asking for the dorm number 18, its not in the main building but next to it, its much bigger than the dorms in the main building with less people , 6 not 8, and there is always nice fresh air, as the door leads directly outside.

All in all this was the most relaxing 30 days of my life, super nice hostel super nice staff,
greets to all the staff members, I hope to be back one day!

Room Tip: dorm outside main building
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Aloha Eug K
Thanks for your review. While we definitely recommend staying here over other Maui hostels, we don't recommend crashing other people's parties...you are of course free to do as you choose, and we are glad that you did choose to stay with us instead of the "other guys", whom you've very accurately described....we are the cleanest, safest, friendliest hostel in Maui and possibly the world...and we do know who OUR guests are!
Happy trails....

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a very nice hostel, very clean and friendly people. First time we stayed in any hostels for my husband and I. We were glad to get a private room. Was nice to talk to others from around the world.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Shirley, thanks again for staying with us. We appreciate our great guests!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I past a really good time in this hostel. The staff is really helpful and smiling all the times. I really appreciate the free pancakes on the morning! The place is quiet and charming. A must where to stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Mahalo Elizabeth, we're happy you enjoyed your visit and the pancakes....aloha!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
#32 of 43 in Lahaina
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!