“very clean, cozy and quite hostel, worth going”

and 1 more site!
Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed in this Hostel for 30 days in January '13, took the special monthly rate for more or less 620$ after taxes, cannot remember. I stayed at many hostel around the globe, but this was definitely the cleanest I've seen.
It is also very quite in the hostel, staff members care strictly to follow quite hours after 10pm.

If you are in your twenties like me , there will be not a lot of other guests your age, but you can simply walk to the banana bungalow hostel 3 mins down the road to hang out there.
The banana bungalow is a big party hostel, I could never stay there, because it was dirty and loud as hell, but its perfect to hang out there every night, have some drinks and some parties, and meet nice people, banana also offers free beers on fridays and daily tours for free, and you can just join them, they would never know who is actually their guest or not, at least that's how I did it.
Ofcourse guest at the northshore are also super cool, but most of them were older than me , in their thirties or forties.
Back in the northshore you have your peace again. There is coffee and pancakes for breakfast, which is ok I think, the staff members are all really nice and helpful, they gave me rides to the airport in the morning from where we could hitchhike to the surf spots, people on Maui are really friendly, it never took us more than 5-10 mins to get a lift.
The northshore offers daily rides to the airport beach, what is really helpful, as taking the bus is not always easy, they will also pick you up from the airport when you arrive and bring you there again when you leave.
If you want to stay in a dorm, I would recommend asking for the dorm number 18, its not in the main building but next to it, its much bigger than the dorms in the main building with less people , 6 not 8, and there is always nice fresh air, as the door leads directly outside.

All in all this was the most relaxing 30 days of my life, super nice hostel super nice staff,
greets to all the staff members, I hope to be back one day!

Room Tip: dorm outside main building
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Aloha Eug K
Thanks for your review. While we definitely recommend staying here over other Maui hostels, we don't recommend crashing other people's parties...you are of course free to do as you choose, and we are glad that you did choose to stay with us instead of the "other guys", whom you've very accurately described....we are the cleanest, safest, friendliest hostel in Maui and possibly the world...and we do know who OUR guests are!
Happy trails....

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a very nice hostel, very clean and friendly people. First time we stayed in any hostels for my husband and I. We were glad to get a private room. Was nice to talk to others from around the world.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Shirley, thanks again for staying with us. We appreciate our great guests!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I past a really good time in this hostel. The staff is really helpful and smiling all the times. I really appreciate the free pancakes on the morning! The place is quiet and charming. A must where to stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Mahalo Elizabeth, we're happy you enjoyed your visit and the pancakes....aloha!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed 1 night at Northshore and I was so pleased with how safe I felt. I'd never stayed in a hostel before so I was fairly anxious and not too sure what to expect. Not only did someone come pick me up at the airport, but the staff were really friendly and knowledgable about Maui (cabs, places to kill time, public transport etc) There were even free pancakes in the morning! Great value and a nice, quiet spot for a first time solo traveller. I can see why it is the highest rated hostel in Maui. The bed was okay and I wish I had a warmer blanket, but other than that it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Towels are $1 to rent!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hi Katie, thanks for your kind words and we're happy you enjoyed your first hostel visit with the highest rated! Mahalo and aloha!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was stuck Maui with my 3 kids as our flight was overbooked and we were bumped. There weren't any vacancies at any of the local hotels and we weren't going to sleep in the airport. Northshore Hostle picked us up for free and provided a private room for us at a great rate. The hostle was clean and the atmosphere light as the those who roomed chatted with each other in the common room. I will definitely stay here again. It was a great experience. The kids and i felt a bit awkward at first, but look back on the experience in a positive light. The staff were extremely hospitable and made thw process easy. From rental to checkout the whole process was convenient. Aloha!

• Stayed: May 2012

Thanks so much for writing. I am happy that we were able to make you feel comfortable and that you enjoyed your visit with us...we look forward to your return....aloha!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've stayed at Northshore Hostel every time I've traveled to Maui as my initial landing and night before I leave place. The folks there are really helpful, the other travelers are interesting, and the rooms are clean. There's a wonderful balcony where I sit and enjoy the Maui sunrise and it's a short walk to the Wailuku Coffee Company for breakfast. Altogether a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank eRosssf

Thanks for being a great guest, we're very happy that you choose to stay at the best little spot in Maui! Mahalo....

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This Hostel was amazing.
It was very clean and had a friendly staff. Furthermore it was possible to cook and make pancakes in a shared kitchen. But the best thing was, that they organized daily shuttles to the airport and to Iao Valley.

Thanks and greetings from Bielefeld

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thanks Vlotho for your kind review, we are happy you enjoyed your visit and we appreciate your opinion that we are the best hostel you've stayed in! We agree.....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Tiki Beach Hostel
Tiki Beach Hostel
#33 of 43 in Lahaina

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!