“Definitely an A-class hostel!”

Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

After staying in quite a few hostels in Hawaii I wasn't expecting much when I got here. But as soon as I climbed the stairs I was totally blown away: The place is really nice, the staff ultra-friendly and the facilities offer everything from in-dorm fans to washer, dryer, WIFI, computer, full kitchen and nice bathrooms! You can rent nice towels for $1, they offer free pancakes in the morning, clean daily and really care about security with a lot of cameras, a code to get inside and locked dorms. Overall one of the best hostels I ever stayed in and definitely my best hosteling experience in Hawaii! The only downsides are that the dorms are really hot at night (but that's Hawaii, eh?!) and I stumbled upon some bugs in the kitchen but nothing serious. Overall a great place to stay at!

• Stayed: October 2012
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Dukes
Mahalo for your kind words and rating of "A" class. We are happy you enjoyed your visit and hope you will visit us again...it's great to have great guests!
A Hui Hoa

There are newer reviews for Northshore Hostel Maui

Reviewed October 15, 2012

From what I understand, there are pretty much only 2 hostels in Maui. We had our own rental car, which I would recommend to everyone visiting Maui, and Wailuku was a very convenient location for us to do day trips from.

We had just showed up at the Northshote Hostel with no reservation and ended up staying for our entire 4 nights in Maui. It was fairly hot in our dorm room, but we enjoyed the friendly atmosphere at the hostel and loved the common area and kitchen.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Michael D, Manager at Northshore Hostel Maui, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thanks Vancouver, we are happy to have hosted your stay, happy trails!

Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 6 nights in a private room. Room was smaller than I imagined from the website pics, but recently renovated and tastefully decorated. And clean. Bathrooms are all private. No stall bathrooms and each has a shower. Breakfast pancakes and coffee are do it yourself with supplies provided. Common areas are cleaned every day. Entrance is down the side of the building, a bit unexpected when I was arriving. Close to 2 bus routes. Buses run hourly near hostel. I didn't find a grocery store within walking distance, but when I was exploring by bus, I stopped for groceries at the safeway. Felt safe and comfOrtable.

• Stayed: October 2012

Mahalo Earthy Feet, I am happy you found you're way around and that you chose us as your Maui hotel...Thank you!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

i have had a good time in the hostel. the staff was friendly, nice and helpfull. the bathrooms were always clean. we had free wifi and a computer station for free. that's not in all hostels in hawaii. the bus shuttle could be better. it was ritten that all day is a shuttle to the airport and kanaha beach. but when nowbody arrived on the airport was no shuttle driven to the beach or airport.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thanks Venus, we offer 4 daily free shuttles but you must call us from the airport when you arrive...Thank you for staying with us...happy trails!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Good quiet location, courteous and knowledgeable staff, community computer, towel rentals, safe and luggage storage, laundry facility, kitchen facilities, piles of board games and even ice cream bars for sale; seems there's nothing these guys have forgotten. Added bonus for me was the schmoozy neighborhood cats. I'd definitely stay here again - you cannot beat the cost, cleanliness, location, and kind of down home comfort of the place. Very relaxed home away from home...

Room Tip: If you want more privacy, rent one of the private rooms for only about $10 more per night. The dorm...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shirley M

Mahalo Shirley, we couldn't say it any better....thanks for your kind words and we hope you do return and stay with us!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great place well center to go everywhere in the Island (when you have a car). The bed was comfortable and clean, same for the bathrooms. we enjoy our stay there for the 10 days. Appreciated the none smoker area.

Room Tip: No pool and fitness center
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucie S

Merci Lucie
You guys were great and I got to practice my French too...we welcome you back anytime...thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The taxi driver picking me up from the airport tried to talk me out of staying here, which was rather disconcerting as the reviews I'd read prior to booking were all good.
I was impressed with the Northshore. It was clean, quiet, private, secure and very well run. Also it was very close to the bus stops, and close to enough different food outlets for choice for all tastes.
The staff were friendly and helpful, and although the free pancakes for breakfast were not gluten free, it is a nice option, and there's always next door at the Bakehouse deli for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MaryCT_25

Dear Mary,
Thanks for ignoring the taxi driver! We were very happy to have you as our guest, Thanks for staying with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
The Tiki Beach Hostel
#33 of 43 in Lahaina
Aston at the Maui Banyan

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!