Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Beautiful, interesting, a good quick outing”

Iao Valley State Monument
$118.42*
Haleakala, Iao Valley and Central Maui Day Tour
Ranked #3 of 47 things to do in Wailuku
More attraction details
Owner description: Iao Valley State Monument, Maui, will remain closed indefinitely due to extensive damage from heavy rain and flooding the night of September 13 and early morning on September 14, 2016.
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband really wanted to go here, and I didn't, bc our vacation was almost over and I wanted to spend a bit more time on the beach :) I went along with it, though, bc he had gone to do an outing with me that he hadn't been too excited about :) any way, I was not disappointed. It is beautiful there, and it actually didn't take up a large part of our day to get there. Not recommended for ppl with disabilities or not good with stairs, although you can see the "needle" without any problem. But to walk through the park, it has many stairs that go up steeply and down. There is a fresh water stream that gets deep enough to swim in and it's accessible from those stairs. I would have liked to have gone swimming there if we had been prepared, although it was a bit chilly that day at that elevation, as it was a cloudy day. It is a historical site, so there is information about the kings and their men using this area to hide out in during battle. It was hard to picture that! In summary, it's a beautiful place to visit and interesting if you like the history of Hawaii. I would definitely take a morning or afternoon to visit.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This was one of our first outings in maui. Well worth the 5 dollars, but may try getting there early, parking is limited. One of my teens favorite places on maui. Just gorgeous. And dont miss the cultural gardens further down the road on the way out. Free and a lovely place for pics.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We drove the 25 minutes from Wailea to see this place at the suggestion of friends. We were very glad we did. The $5 admission was reasonable for access to the beautiful state park. The grounds can be completely viewed in under thirty minutes and there are plenty of places for great photos and a relaxing stroll with the family or a date. Stop by here before heading to the airport or when you've had enough swimming. Lots of stairs, as previously noted, but you could enjoy the views and the park without walking the trails/stairs if you wanted to.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Iao Valley is a short drive from Kahului and it is always beautiful up there. We often head up the mountain just to have lunch in the park. If it has been raining enough there are plenty of magnificent waterfalls to see, so it's sort of a chance you take. There are plenty of attractions and places to sit and enjoy getting out of the heat of the city. In recent years they have made it so you have to pay to park in the upper section (5.00) , but with all the budget cuts these days this is not uncommon, I have found this to be the case in most state parks in any state now days. Well worth the short drive and a wonderful part of Maui.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

With anticipation, we drove up the road to the park. We paid the un-uniformed attendant the $5 for "parking" and after we squeezed into the last available space (plenty of empty bus parking spaces), we began what turned out to be very short walk. This is another example of what happens when a promising place (although this was not very impressive) is run by the government. Signs were everywhere. Don't do this, don't do that, stay off this, stay off that. You couldn't snap a photo without getting a warning sign in it. As I said, I thought it was very unimpressive. A broken down old bridge, grounds that look like a project was started and never finished, etc. spend a little extra $ and go to one of the many gardens on the island where owners seek to impress visitors and really maintain their garden.