Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“nice but not a long trail”

Iao Valley State Monument
Book on TripAdvisor
More Info
$179.00*
and up
Hawaiian Wildlife Discovery Tour
Ranked #3 of 47 things to do in Wailuku
More attraction details
Owner description: Iao Valley State Monument, Maui, will remain closed indefinitely due to extensive damage from heavy rain and flooding the night of September 13 and early morning on September 14, 2016.
Prague, Czech Republic
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“nice but not a long trail”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is an interesting spot however the trail from parking is realy short. there is nicely explained the history of this place. Additionaly there is a little "arboretum" and walk along the stream. Ideal for short trips with kids, I even saw kids bathing in the stream :)

• Korean first
Blackfalds, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Just Like the Picture”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'd seen many photos of the Iao Valley Needle and had always wanted to see it. I wasn't disappointed. We had many excellent photo opportunities and if you you look closely you might see some lizards and interesting bugs worth photographing. It was only $5 to park which is a great deal anywhere in Hawaii. Bring a rain coat if you want to stay dry. It rains 400" a year there.

Somerville, Australia
168 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 333 helpful votes
“Pretty valley, but nothing special.”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Noticed several reviews for this valley, was driving past so decided to visit. There is a tale about the Iao Needle.....but when a tale is required to create interest in an attraction, it suggests the attraction may not stand up on its own. I'd say this is the case here. This is a pretty valley, but there are other pretty valleys.

(If you want a walk and/or views, I'd suggest the Waihee Ridge Trail)

1 Thank Colin D
omaha, NE
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful! Not real "hiking" unless you go the path less traveled”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I went there with my husband and while it was absolutely beautiful, the part that the park has marked as the hike areas are very mild and easy for any age level and my husband was a bit disappointed (as he is a bit more athletic). While viewing the needle we saw some people duck under a railing off to the side and head into the trees. We decided to be a bit bad and do the same. We hiked up and saw the needle from several angles and got beautiful pictures down through the valley to the ocean. We stopped when it got a big slick and the trail went into some bushes. A man came through there at that time and we asked him what was further ahead. He said that he went about 45 minutes in thick vegetation before turning around, but that someone told him it went through the mountains to Lahaina. I have no idea if this is true or not! My husband was very pleased with going up and it was safe the day we were there (although the path does get quite close to the edge of the mountain and I wouldn't recommend to anyone with any difficulties walking/hiking) With that being said, while it was clear that many had traveled before us, I have no idea if that was legal or even safe year around. But I thought I would make a note about it if you, like us, happen to notice people coming back that way and want to give it a shot.

Down by the river there are some hiking trails that are paved/well established but we stuck to the main area by the river after our little adventure so I can't comment on the these paths but would try them if we ever get a chance to go back!

Visited January 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Nice for Mom to see”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice short drive to Iao Needle. Very lush and green there, nice short hiking paths. Mom is 81 and it was enough hiking for her. Views of the valley were very nice. Able to see the needle not obscured by clouds. Not a lot to see, but still a very nice small park, especially for kids and seniors