Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Worth the walk”

$118.42*
Haleakala, Iao Valley and Central Maui Day Tour
Ranked #3 of 47 things to do in Wailuku
More attraction details
Owner description: Iao Valley State Monument, Maui, will remain closed indefinitely due to extensive damage from heavy rain and flooding the night of September 13 and early morning on September 14, 2016.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a great state park on Maui. It's worth checking out. Quite a bit of steps to the top but the view is pretty cool. It costs $5 buck sto park your car but it's worth it.

There are newer reviews for Iao Valley State Monument

Reviewed February 9, 2013

A modest $5 affords a spectacular view and history of Maui's interior. Stunning mountains, vista, the IOU needle, creeks and fawna. A very gentle walk -- accessible by all ages.

1  Thank JohnandDeborah
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Small park with a beautiful backdrop. Not as big as I thought and trails can be covered in 1 hour. Trails are easy and can be done by nearly any one. Very pretty and easy to get to

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our second trip back to Maui and our goal was to do only things we had not done last time. I am so glad we took the short day trip to see the needle.

The scenery was truly beautiful. I can't begin to describe it- I would not do it justice. Parking was $5.00 and we spent probably an hour and a half here... maybe 2 hours. There is a short hike and a waterfall - many great picture opportunities. I was 3 months pregnant at the time and the hike was more then fine - I just went very slow up and down the stairs. However if you are traveling with older ppl. or ppl. with bad knees there are lots of stairs and this may not be the attraction for you. I believe you can get into the stream and splash around if you wish - we saw many in the swimsuits.

There is no gift shop, or guide present. There are port-o-potty's and they were very clean, so no need to worry. I think this is a must see.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Iao Needle State Monument is a beautiful, sacred area, and is is good for a morning or afternoon outing and easy walk around the park and gardens. We saw lots of birds and chickens around the park, and locals singing and playing the guitar under the bridge along the trails. There is a $5.00 parking fee, payable at the automatic machines. It is a small price to pay to experience such great beauty.