“Excellent surfing coach”
Review of Soul Surfing Maui

Soul Surfing Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Brian DeCook offers first rate personalized surfing adventures around Maui for all levels.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked a surfing lesson with Brian in December. Although none of us had any previous surfing experience, Brian was so patient to teach and let us tried. Within less than half an hour, all of us could stand up on the board and riding the wave. That was a fabulous experience. Thanks Brian.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My Daughter and I were lucky enough to find Brian through tripadvisor.
This was a great experience. We have been to other schools but this is really an individual lesson not a crowd control free for all.
Brian is really good and you can tell he loves what he is doing. He spends enough time evaluating you and makes you feel comfortable before you go out.
Once out in the water he helps you catch the waves if you need it or shows you where to set up and why so you can paddle and catch your own waves.
When you paddle back out he lets you know what you did wrong (or right) and how to fix it or improve your technique.
I highly recommend Soul Surfing for anyone who wants a one on one or small group experience.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just wanted to say thanks for the excellent lesson for my wife and I this week. To those of you wondering if you'll stand up and surf, the answer is YES! Brian takes you to an uncrowded break and lets you learn comfortably so you gain confidence. His great demeanor gets you ready and he shows you the basics in a great way. He shoots photos right on the waves and rides along to get some excellent action shots. Give him a call if you're on the fence and just book the time, you won't regret it.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am 60 years old and had never surfed before. Brian was relaxed and personable. I opted for personal instruction and he adjusted his instruction to my abilities (didn't drag it out if I was demonstrating understanding correctly, and was patient when I wasn't). I was able to succeed quickly. He even brought a chair for my wife so that she could view from the shore. If you are looking for instruction at your own pace this was a very good experience.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I chose to set up a private surfing lesson for my boyfriend and I with Brian at Soul Surfing Maui based on the great reviews posted here on Tripadvisor and I cannot agree more with the other reviewers. I spoke with Brian on the phone to set up a lesson time and he emailed me right after with a confirmation and location details. We touched based a few days before our lesson and he suggested we change the time for optimal conditions.

We met at Thousand Peaks at Ukumehame Park by Mile Marker 12. An ideal location to learn -- beautiful and not crowded.

Brian is friendly, enthusiastic, easy going, patient, and very encouraging. Yet honest in that he explains what we didn't do right the previous time so we can improve on our next try. We both got up within the first couple of waves and it was just exhilarating!

As a bonus, Brian has an amazing little waterproof camera that he brings with him and he is quite the photographer! He took some beautiful shots and emailed them to us immediately following our lesson at no additional cost. They ended up being our favourite photos from our Maui trip.

Lastly, don't forget to ask Brian for some local spots to eat afterwards. He told us to check out the Ma'alaea General Store for awesome fish burgers and fish tacos. What a great find! We went there right after our lesson and Brian was there a little after us to pick up a fish burger for himself (after downloading and sending us our photos first!)

Just an incredible experience overall and a definitely highlight of our Maui trip.

Thank you Brian!!!!