“Tailored to my Abilities”
Review of Soul Surfing Maui

Soul Surfing Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Brian DeCook offers first rate personalized surfing adventures around Maui for all levels.
Sherwood Park, Canada
“Tailored to my Abilities”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am 60 years old and had never surfed before. Brian was relaxed and personable. I opted for personal instruction and he adjusted his instruction to my abilities (didn't drag it out if I was demonstrating understanding correctly, and was patient when I wasn't). I was able to succeed quickly. He even brought a chair for my wife so that she could view from the shore. If you are looking for instruction at your own pace this was a very good experience.

Visited November 2013

Vancouver, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“First class all the way!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I chose to set up a private surfing lesson for my boyfriend and I with Brian at Soul Surfing Maui based on the great reviews posted here on Tripadvisor and I cannot agree more with the other reviewers. I spoke with Brian on the phone to set up a lesson time and he emailed me right after with a confirmation and location details. We touched based a few days before our lesson and he suggested we change the time for optimal conditions.

We met at Thousand Peaks at Ukumehame Park by Mile Marker 12. An ideal location to learn -- beautiful and not crowded.

Brian is friendly, enthusiastic, easy going, patient, and very encouraging. Yet honest in that he explains what we didn't do right the previous time so we can improve on our next try. We both got up within the first couple of waves and it was just exhilarating!

As a bonus, Brian has an amazing little waterproof camera that he brings with him and he is quite the photographer! He took some beautiful shots and emailed them to us immediately following our lesson at no additional cost. They ended up being our favourite photos from our Maui trip.

Lastly, don't forget to ask Brian for some local spots to eat afterwards. He told us to check out the Ma'alaea General Store for awesome fish burgers and fish tacos. What a great find! We went there right after our lesson and Brian was there a little after us to pick up a fish burger for himself (after downloading and sending us our photos first!)

Just an incredible experience overall and a definitely highlight of our Maui trip.

Thank you Brian!!!!

Visited November 2013
Phoenix, AZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of our top vacation memories”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our whole family loved surfing by the time we finished our private family lesson. Brian created a great experience for us and is great with children of all ages. My five year old daughter stood the first wave she caught with Brian's help. All four of us got up within the first few waves and Brian captured it all on a digital camera. We got a cd of pictures that allows us to relive one of my favorite family adventures of all time. Thanks for helping us to create great family memories Brian!

Visited October 2013
Billericay, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Brain u r da MAN!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We met Brain on the beach at mile marker 13..
Brilliant spot with ample parking and a great empty beach on both sides...he knows his stuff!
He had all the equipment and got us ready...
His easy to understand and instruction on the beach helped so much and he had a great deal of patience.
The kids went out first and took to it like the proverbial duck! and what a great way to get pictures and video!!.. then my wife and went for it... and he does exactly what he says on the tin.... within minutes we were ALL riding those bodacious waves..
Brian im sorry I'm late posting this but we know your the BEST!!
This is personal, professional and perfect!!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Screamers4
Essex County, NJ
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Super Experience - Top Notch”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you are thinking of hiring a surf instructor or a surf coach - look no further than Brian.

Here is the story - my 12 year-old son and I have surfed (with varying degrees of success) a bit in different parts of the world, but we were never able to get over the beginner hurdle. Well, after 4 straight days of surfing with Brian, our game is at a new level. He is that good.

Now, you can go and grab a lesson at the Lahaina Breakwall, along with about 100 other people fighting for a few waves. Or you can meet Brian at one of the breaks he frequents, where the waves are super and the crowds are few. Where Brian excels is his attention to every detail of your game. He is very analytical and picks apart everything, working with you and concentrating on where you need to improve. It is incredible - a little tweak here and a little tweak there and you are that much better off and more confident.

Brian is a very insightful instructor/coach and is genuinely interested in seeing his students improve. We weren't looking for a simple cheerleader who pushes you into every wave and claps when you stand up. We were looking for someone who takes his craft seriously and wants to make you a better surfer. Brian scored an A+ on every account. If and when we are back on Maui, I can guarantee that we will be surfing with Brian again.

Visited August 2013