“Perfect Day”
Review of Soul Surfing Maui

Soul Surfing Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Brian DeCook offers first rate personalized surfing adventures around Maui for all levels.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was once asked, what was your most perfect day? Without hesitation, that day would be November 25, 2008. On Maui, it started with a surfing lesson with Soul Surfing Maui (www.SoulSurfingMaui.com), where my 8 year-old daughter caught her first wave (photo can be seen on my blog at http://www.alohafridays.net/2013/02/perfect-day.html), a basketball game watching future Denver Nugget Ty Lawson lead North Carolina in the Maui Invitational (http://www.mauiinvitational.com), a call from NASA to schedule my astronaut interview at halftime (I was a finalist for the NASA Astronaut Corp in 2009), and an evening celebrating with my family at the Hula Grill (http://www.hulagrillkaanapali.com).

But what got it started off on the right step was the man throwing his arms up in celebration in the photo above as my daughter caught her first wave, Brian DeCook. Since that first wave we have been lucky enough to go back and surf in Maui with Brian two other times and they have all been phenomenal experiences. My family always looks forward to returning to Maui and surfing with Brian is a key aspect of every vacation we have had there.

The last time we visited this past November, my wife joined our line-up and tried surfing for the first time. Despite ACL surgery less than a year earlier, Brian helped her catch her first wave. All three of us had an incredible day catching waves and enjoying the beautiful Maui weather. To give us the opportunity to relive the experience over and over again, Brian used his Go Pro camera mounted on one of the boards to capture all of the fun we were having. He then edited in some great local music to go along with the best clips to capture this incredible memory. I invite you to watch our surfing adventure on my blog at http://www.alohafridays.net/2013/02/perfect-day.html and I recommend to anyone going to Maui who wants to learn or improve their surfing to look Brian up.

All reviews
in 24 reviews
"session"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Thanks so much Brian for our surf lessons, and that you could fit us in at the last minute , at age 50 it is hard to learn something new .This was my third time surfinfg , your expertise and coaching methods were were first rate, you really challenged me to improve my skills .We would definely recommend you to other beginner surfers seeking a fun time and great coaching when in Maui.We are looking forward to our next trip and possibly booking your surf camp and to explore more remote surf locations on the islands.I promise to paddle hard into the waves next time.

Terry

1  Thank Terry M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just had a killer trip to Maui, took a chance on a couple trips with Soul Surfing Maui while there, and have Brian to thank for sending me home with some amazing experiences.

First let me say that, if you're a beginner, the guy has a million boards and knows a million locations to get you standing up and riding in the perfect conditions. If I had more time I would have setup something for my sister-in-law to learn. Next time!!

However, if you're more advanced, the guy will hook you up. He knows the swell and winds and can get you to that perfect spot. I highly recommend the tour. It seemed a bit pricey but then I realized all it covered and honestly it's a steal. It covers gas, food, and supplies. It also covers an incredible trip where I had my own personal tour guide showing me whales and sea turtles and a completely unique view of Maui...and of course it covers the guy's local knowledge of the place where I spent two days surfing my brains out - the first day at an isolated reef and the second at an isolated beach break. Brian even sent me home with a custom video/slideshow of the trip from the various pics and videos we'd been taking during our trips.

As fun as Brian was to hang with, I have to say I was incredibly impressed with his professionalism. He has a system and operates with a safety-first mentality. I respected that. I've met up with surf guides in the past who were anything but professional. It's that professionalism in combination with the killer experience that has me recommending him to anyone (whether advanced or wanting lessons) looking for a fun and unique experience while in Maui.

Can't wait to get back!

1  Thank Josh C
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I just came back from our trip to Hawaii Islands. Both of us had an amazing time over there. One of the best experience was a surfing lesson with Brian. I could not imagine a better start and a better teacher! His knowledge, good attitude and all the advices let us stand up and ride after about 30 minutes!:) For the next day we also rented his boards to improve our new skills. Brian is extremaly friendly and very patient so if you would like to learn to surf do not hesitate to contact him! He is just brilliant!

Brian, thank you for all you did for us:)

Justyna and Peter