“Fun morning”
Review of Frogman II Snorkeling Cruise - CLOSED

Frogman II Snorkeling Cruise
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Malolo is a 55 ft power catamaran that holds up to 66 passengers. Leaving out of Ma'alaea Harbor Slip 87, near the Coast Guard Station. The Malolo departs daily to 2 snorkel sites (Weather Permitting).
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We enjoyed our morning going to molokini and to see the turtles. Captain and staff were great. Food was ok but basic and boring. Lunch could have used a vegetarian option. Wish we had seen turtles while snorkeling but saw lots of whales playing.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a review Ive struggled with writing. 1st Id like to say our day aboard the Frogman 2 was the most enjoyable part of our trip up to the point when tragedy struck.

we spent a pleasant morning at Molokini the crew gave us snorkel gear and entertained us with their wit and charm during the standard safety and dive briefing.
Captain Ed and crew members Jimmy and Steve put on what I thought was a great balance between showmanship and competent seamanship.

Arriving at turtle town only 25 mins after we left Molokini we jumped in the water to search for turtles.
A short time later we were all asked to re-board the boat and to remain seated. An elderly man was brought aboard unconscious and without pulse. The crew immediately began cpr assessment. 2 female nurses identified themselves and a Dr came forward to take over the 1st aid and medical care.

Captain Ed Steve and Jimmy sprung into immediate action. The crew aboard that boat that day held their composure during this time of tragedy. They made sure everyone was accounted for and kept control of the curious and concerned passengers. I was sitting next to the helm and was able to listen to Capt and crew delicate discussions of the events and how to proceed.

It seemed all available coastguard rescue vessels were not in the near vicinity to help. Capt ED found a small vessel with speed and accessibility and summoned the help of this vessel. 10 short mins later the rescue boat arrived and what we witnessed was perfection in boat handling and rope handling skills these men knew what they were doing down to science.

Thier voices were never raised there was no panic from them as they dealt with a life and death situation. after transferring the victim they then turned to the needs of everyone on board.

I could hear some people discussing the events and how remarkable these brave young men handled the overwhelming gravity of the situation. After arriving at the harbor we filed off the boat, I witnessed each and every passenger thank these guys for the job they preformed some offered tips as it is customary to tip boat crew but these gentlemen refused to accept gratuity from anyone stating no money should be involved, but were thankful for the gesture.

100% of why Im writing this is to thank these young men for wearing the brave faces and making us feel safe in the face of something as terrible as this. I hope the owners of this boat offered the crew grief counseling. As I waited for my bus I saw them setting up to go out again I inquired and found out that in 1 hr they had another group to take snorkeling and did not have anytime to regroup or have a relief crew .

Book a trip with Captain ED, his Brother Steve and Jimmy you will find yourself in the hands of dynamic confident men

My sincerest condolences to the family for their tragedy

4  Thank Atothax
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first trip (March 2013) to Maui, and snorkeling Molokini and whale watching were both high on my list of things I wanted to do. I purchased this early morning snorkel trip on-line, because of the "sale" price and figuring I'd have calmer seas (without afternoons more windy conditions). They had fresh fruit, muffins and donuts aboard, with coffee and juice, for a lite breakfast. The crew was helpful and friendly, the Capt. pointed out some whales during our trip, and also gave excellent advice on "how to snorkel" to any "first timers."

Frogman 2, a powered catamaran, was roomy and steady, and we arrived at the small island of Molokini after a pleasant 35-40 min. ride over. The boat has a center stairway with attached railings, that is lowered into the water at the front (between the two bows) for easy entry to and exit from the water. I found the water temp. a bit Cool, 70 degrees F. I'd guess. I chose not to rent the 3mm knee-high wet suits they offered (for $10), and got used to the water temp. after a few mins. (of rapid shallow breathing from the cold water "shock"). The water clarity was Great; about 75+ feet. I saw many colorful fish and coral, but not the variety of fish or size I expected and had seen on the Big Island last year. I later learned that the "outer edges" of the inner crescent shaped island are the best spot to see "more types and larger fish." Each boat has it's assigned spot inside the crescent of the island, and FROGMAN 2 stops and ties-up (with underwater mooring lines) just to the right of center... say "1 o'clock" position, rather than "3 or 9 o'clock" positions, where better snorkeling would be found (or so I was told by a local diver). We were allowed about 35-40 mins in the water at Molokini before moving out.

We then stopped to snorkel at "Turttle Town," near Wialea Beach, for 25-30 mins. or so. Water clarity was poorer... about 35-40 feet, but still good. Saw a few fish and a large turttle (2.5 - 3 feet long!) swimming by as I was floating just 5-6 ft. above him... Fun! We were given a deli sandwich and pasta salad lunch, with fruit, sodas and juices, then headed back to the harbor. We slowed down for some close by (400-600 feet) whale watching near the harbor... more Fun.

It was a good trip overall, but I think I'd look for a boat that stops more at outer edges of Molokini island, if I were going again.

2  Thank brown93614
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We took the morning Molokini snorkel trip and had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect for this trip. Calm, clear weather, warm but not too hot. First we went to Turtle Town and saw great turtles and fish on the reef. They told us that thye went there first to miss the crowds at Molokini. AFter and hour of snorkeling we went to Molokini. It was good that we went here second, since as we were arrivng other boats were leaving. It was great to be one of 3 or 4 boats rather than 1 of 15. The water was calm and clear with tons of fish.

Now, the trip operator cannot be held responsible for the weather and sea conditions. It does happen that the snorkeling is better or worse due to weather factors and sometimes sites need to be changed. We foudn the boat to be fine, if a bit small. But, smaller meant fewer pwople which was good. The food is nothing special, but adequate. I'm not sure that paying $20 more per person for a mediocre BBQ lunch like on other companies is worth it in my book.The crew was enjoyable, helpful and fun. I would book this trip again without hesitation.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had an amazing crew which made everyone feel welcome and got everyone ready to rock and roll so we didn't waste time at our destinations. We saw a few turtles at turtle town and saw a bunch of whales. Overall learned a lot through the trip from the captain and crew. Great way to spend the last day in Maui!!!