“Disappointed”

Maui Value Pass
Ranked #6 of 46 things to do in Wailuku
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Maui Tropical Plantation is a 60 acre working plantation. Our narrated TRAM TOUR offers a unique educational opportunity to learn the origins and harvest techniques of Hawaii's commercial fruit crops. As part of your tour, our driver will demonstrate the art of husking a coconut. You'll also learn interesting facts about sugarcane, pineapple, bananas, coffee, macadamia nuts, papaya and more. Visit our Gift Shop for Made in Maui souvenirs, snacks, crystals, aloha wear and more... The Mill House Restaurant is the ideal venue for exclusive events. Also at the Plantation: Kumu Farms, Maui Zipline, Rebecca Lowell Art Gallery, Ron L. Designs and Moku Pua Soap Factory.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Yukon, Oklahoma
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I went there to try the pineapple and order to ship home. I was NOT able to try the pineapple (they had NO samples and NO pineapple cut up for purchase and would NOT help me at all even considering that I wanted to purchase). Very poor customer service.

That said, I did walk around the plantation (did not take the formal tour) and it is a nice little retreat. In the shop, there is an area where they have paintings and that employee was wonderful and I purchased a few things from him. They other part of the shop has things for sale that are specific to Maui but that you can purchase other places.

Visited February 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Too expensvie for what it is”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I wouldnt call it a plantation but rather a very large garden. There were some interesting plants and fruit tress here but not as much as I was expecting. I will say it was the first time I saw a pineapple plant and the only place I saw a pineapple growing while my stay in HI.

It was interesting but for $15 a person I expected a longer/ better tour with more variety of tropical plants. The coconut demonstration took 25-30 min which took up most of the time but was informative.

Visited July 2013
Navarre, Florida
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Entertaining and Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

These gardens are truly beautiful. There is a wide variety of exotic tropical plants, as well as agricultural fields. It was a great place to see a large variety of Hawaiian plants in one location. We saw pineapple, bananas, mangos, papaya, coconuts, coffee, kukui nuts, macadamia nuts, and avocados. The highlight of the short tram tour was when the driver stopped to demonstrate husking and opening a coconut. I learned a lot of good information. The gift shop was pricey. There were some native vendors on the lawn with the usual homemade souvenirs. The Hawaiian musician in the pavilion was impressive!

1 Thank Terri P
Hendersonville, NC
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“So-So tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Was looking forward to this tour, but it turned out to be just ho-hum. Being from agricultural based community myself, i was somewhat disappointed in this tour. The "working" part of the plantation is really no more than a very large garden. The tour part of the plantation does have a variety of most kinds of fruits that can be grown on Maui and it was interesting to see the papya and avocados growing. However, if you really want to experience a working plantation, the better tour is the Maui Pineapple Plantation.

1 Thank MamaFrank
Kula, Hawaii, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“a pleasant "grass roots" experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I love the Maui Tropical Plantation because it highlights local agriculture, so essential to the Islands, and to the world.

It is beautiful, peaceful and natural. The train tour is fun for all members of the family and educational. I love the little duck pond and small children are very entertained by the baby ducks.

You can have a meal or do shopping in a peaceful, non crowded ambiance.

The only thing I am not thrilled about is the new zip line, which I feel is distracting.

All in all it is a pleasant stop for visitors and locals alike.