“Great central location!”
Review of Milowai Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wailuku
Milowai Resort
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We have just returned from our 1st trip to Maui & loved it! Staying in this complex only added to our wonderful vacation in paradise.

We rented unit #104 & were very pleased with how well-stocked it was. It was a 1 bdrm 1 bath unit with in-suite laundry (what a bonus!) The kitchen was also renoed within the last yr or so, and the vanity & sink in the bathroom was new too. There is no AC in this unit, but when you open the patio & front doors you get a great breeze going through. Plus there are ceiling fans in both the living area & the bedroom which keep you comfortable, so AC really doesn't seem to be needed. You also have a private patio with a table & chairs, and a great ocean view. There is a nice sized pool with loungers, but no hot tub.

The location of this condo is so central that everything that you want to see is only a 10 or 15 min drive. The only drawback is that there is no beach in front of the unit. You are ocean front, with a sea-wall, but no beach. The grounds of the resort are impeccably maintained and absolutely beautiful. This is a very quiet & safe area.

The owner, Shellane, was very easy to deal with and always responded right away to all of my emails. She uses Paypal, so the rental transaction was painless.

Would I stay here again? Definitely!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank imslk

Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed in #307 and have absolutely no complaints. The ocean views were fantastic from every room. You could see Molikini and Haleakala (without binoculars or telephoto lens)- we even saw a harbor seal playing with a blow fish. It had AC (which we did use because the trade winds were absent!), covered parking, elevator, newer updated furnishings and appliances, beach towels, chairs, coolers etc. Maalaea Bay is quiet, with less chaos and traffic than Kaanapali and Lahaina. No problems with the wind or burning sugar cane or anything else for that matter. If we return to Maui, we'll stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank connieh2
Reviewed August 20, 2007

We stayed in a beautifully reno'd & clean 2 bdrm oceanfront suite (with CENTRAL AC!) at the Milowai with direct oceanfront views from both bedrooms as well as from the living room & lanai...and because the living room was open to the kitchen, you could see the ocean from the kitchen too! Wow! The only way you're going to expand on that ocean view, would be to go on a boat!!

The condo had everything you could need for a home away from home. Great having an in-suite washer/dryer, used it every day for towels and stuff. Modern entertainment system, gourmet kitchen & amenities, comfy oversized new sofa's, cushioned bamboo lanai furniture......I could go on and on!

Pool was nice & clean, oceanfront location, and there is actually a small beach to the right of the condo. You probably wouldn't use it though because there's so many nicer beaches within a 10 minute drive. The grounds had golf course quality grass, and there were a few palm trees lining the breakwater.

The condo building houses the Waterfront restaurant, which was excellent! Delicious food! Make sure to reserve at least a day in advance if you want an outside oceanfront table, well worth it!

From the covered parkade up to our condo unit it was a bit old & grungy looking....enough to make you concerned about what exactly you've got yourself into....until you open the door, and the view takes your breathe away! I guess what I'm saying is, MAKE SURE you get a renovated/updated condo in this building, or you could be really disappointed!

Another side note as well, you definitely want CENTRAL AC in this area of Maui, specifically MAALAEA BAY. The reason I strongly recommend this is NOT because of the heat necessarily, but rather because of the EXTREME DUST that will filter into your suite if you were to leave the sliders w/screens & screened windows open to keep the unit cool!! I kid you not!

First I will say that BECAUSE we had central ac in this unit, we didn't have any problems with the dust I'm about to mention. Now I'll tell you how I know this information first-hand. As well as staying in this condo unit during our Maui visit, we also stayed next door at the Maalaea Kai in a beautiful spotlessly clean upon check-in BUT NO AC oceanfront condo (see our review of Maalaea Kai Unit #404). We always left our 4th floor screened balcony slider open to get those great trade winds in to keep the condo comfortable (no AC required for that). On the second day, we started to notice a thick brown film on EVERYTHING, from the floor to the upstairs bathroom counter, our clothes, under our fingernails from touching anything, etc!!! It was disgusting! 'Gardeners grime' has got nothin' on this! Forget about wearing white! Etc!

Having said all that, we were there in June during their sugar cane harvesting & burning (which the burning also leaves little black ash pieces in the air), so if you visit when this is NOT happening, you'd be ok!

Bottom line, I would absolutely stay here in this particular unit (#307 - found on VRBO), in this area of Maui again! You can't beat oceanfront in Hawaii!! In fact we're already planning our return to the Milowai!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank tlrtravel
Reviewed March 16, 2007

We absolutely loved this condo- great price, central location, and everything you need is provided. This condo features a nice king size bed and the kitchen is well stocked with dishes and a good assortment of pots and pans. The furniture is in very good condition and decorated with an island, beachy touch. There is a sleeper sofa in the living area. There is a TV , stereo, video players for a rainy day. There is also a pool and BBQ on site and a covered parking spot. The best feature for us was the beautiful view from the lanai. It made it hard to tear ourselves away from it. We saw whales every morning and evening from the lanai as we enjoyed this private and comfortable condo.

There is no beach directly in front of this unit, but it is oceanfront with a very sandy beach in easy walking distance. There is also a nice park with picnic tables. It is within walking distance to Maui Ocean Center and some very nice restuarants and shops. You can also walk to the harbor for whale, snorkel, and sunset cruises.

This rental is suitable for anyone wanting a quiet private place to stay in a very central location.This condo is also easy to find and a good starting place for all your day trips .

We booked through the owner and found the owners to be very good to work with - lots of communication. The pictures on the website were well represented. We would definately stay here again and again. For more info on this unit see [---]

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank maui30
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Subject: Milowai Condo #403
Location: Maalaea, Maui
Title: Wonderful Milowai #403 condo - and some Maui Advice
ID#: 5619901

We returned 8/4/06 from Maui and loved Unit 403 in the Milowai Condo complex. With private parking, oceanfront setting, sparkling pool, king-sized bed, wonderful breezes, and the awesome harbor restaurants and friendly shops nearby, you could not ask for a better place to stay!

Unit 403:
Our particular condo was sold in the timeframe between our reservation and our stay, but our reservation deposit, and then early payment, were held in escrow and everything went very smoothly, particularly due to the friendly people in Hawaii and the new condo owners who were nice, intelligent, and good communicators.

I also liked that this particular condo was on the top floor (4th) away from the elevators. There was an overhang by the elevators that enclosed the area and a few condos there, and I’m guessing that the noise carries into the units by the elevator (not that we saw many people at all while there at the condo). I just would not care to stay near the elevator because I’m very sensitive to noise. So 403’s location within the complex was perfect for us. Elevator was quick. Shopping carts were available on Basement level by the parking spots if needed as luggage or grocery carts, which I thought that was ingenious.

We loved having our own assigned and convenient, covered parking spot. Some people used car covers on their cars because the sea air coats the windows with salt. Just insure your car rental has water in the washer fluid reservoir. There was a foot wash spigot in the parking garage just before entering the elevator area for your use.

A note about height of condo: I was concerned before we left and ensured that we got a condo on an upper level due to concern about crime, which I believe now is rather unfounded. This area is very quiet and is not frequented by people for any other reason than staying at the condos. There were no locations for people to “hang-out” because of the sea wall and surf. Although there were many surfers (25 at a time maybe), they would (hopefully for their sake) land on the 5 mile beach nearby rather than on the seawall. There was also no short-cutting through from the beach to the harbor area because of the fence of one condo. So although I loved the views and this particular condo, I think my prior concerns about safety were basically unfounded and I would not hesitate to stay on a lower unit within the Milowai complex (which I believe are all 1-bedroom units).

Contents of the condo: We loved the king bed, dresser, nightstands, closet with hangers, table inside with 4 chairs and the same on the lanai with a chaise lounger, 2 stools under the bar, washer and dryer, AC window unit in the living room, ceiling fans, pots and pans, dishes, coffee maker, blender, towels, beach towels, cooler, vaccuum and broom. cleaning supplies, trash bags, toilet tissue, TV, entertainment unit, sleeper sofa, phone with answering machine, utensils for eating and cooking. We bought paper towels, laundry soap, coffee, coffee filters, and left all the extras there for the next guests.

In summary, the location was wonderful being central on the island, the wind was not excessive, and we just loved this condo. The new owners were a pleasure to deal with... booking with VRBO.com was the way to go!

Have a great trip!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank THill
Reviewed January 1, 2006

We paid $157 (US) a night for 10 nights. We stayed in suite #104. My understanding is that is quite cheap for Maui. Knowing this we kept our expectations of our lodging choice conservative. However we still found ourselves very disappointed. It's wasn't so much that the decor & furniture hasn't been changed since what looks to be the early 1970's, but it was more the heavily stained carpet in the living room, the mildew in the bathroom and if you touched the front screen door it would leave your hand black with dirt.
The crowning glory was on our last night there. I got up to go to the washroom and as I turned on the the bathroom light I found a big rat staring back at me from on top of the counter amongst our toiletries.
This may explain why my wife and 15 month old daughter were sick for a few days before. To be fair to everyone. On the positive side we found the management staff friendly and helpful. There are far better units in the building than the one we stayed in and the barbeques available by the seashore are wonderful. However given our experience we won't be returning anytime soon!

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank rob4bes
logicwoman, Owner at Milowai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2006

Dear Mr. Forbes,

I am sorry that your stay at our condo was a disappointment. I wish you had alerted the management company, Kihei Maui Vacations, with your concerns. They would have addressed them immediately. We have never had a pest problem in the past. Once the problem was discovered, management took action to exterminate the rodent and preventative measures have been implementd so it doesn't happen again.

I discussed the cleanliness issues with the management company. A new cleaning service has been hired and a deep clean is done after each renter departs. Our cleaners also perform an open clean prior to guest arrival if it's been more than seven days since the last renter departed. The carpet is now professionally cleaned every three months or as needed in between. Also, the screen on the patio slider has been replaced. One thing about Maui is the occasional sugar cane burning that contributes to light dust at times.

As for the comments regarding the furnishings, all living and bedroom furniture, electronics, refridgerator and washer/dryer are new over the past two years. You should have seen the place when we first bought it!

I'm hoping my clarification of the concerns in your review will help to put other renter's minds at ease. We take pride in our accomodations and have never had a negative review in the past. I hope to keep your experience as an isolated incident not to be repeated again.

Much Aloha,
Shellane
Owner of Milowai #104

A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 23, 2005

We spent our honeymoon in #403 and had a absolutely fabulous time. We booked the unit from Vacation Rentals by Owner. The condo owner lives in the complex and was so helpful with suggesting things to do, where to shop or eat and answering all our questions. He was also very respectful with giving us our privacy. The condo was a good size, tastefully decorated and had everything we needed and more. The kitchen had every tool and appliance we needed, the bathroom had plush towels and the bedroom had the most comfortable king bed. I am an insomniac and never had any problems falling asleep. The washer/dryer was perfect and there was even detergent for us! There was also beach chairs, snorkle gear, boogie boards and even aloe for our sunburns. But my favorite part was the gorgeous view of the ocean and volcano from the lanai. We enjoyed many meals out there listening to the surf and taking in the view. At night, turtles would come in to the bay. There was always a great breeze throughout the condo. There's an AC unit but we never had to use it even in July. We just opened the windows and the patio door and the condo cooled down immediately. There were also ceiling fans and several smaller fans. The pool was well maintained and never crowded. There's no beach out front but there's one a short distance away. We were surprised that we preferred this. Because there's no beach right out front, it was very private and quiet. The location was also perfect. Being in the middle of the island, we were close to everything. We had a wonderful honeymoon here. Thank you so much, Jerry! We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: July 2005